Non-motoring > We Need A DIY Sub Forum :-) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Driver Replies: 13

We Need A DIY Sub Forum :-) - Driver
Seeing the Santex thread and tap hum it would probably be useful and I am just going to add my own home improvement question....

I have just exchanged on a house and it has a large bi-folding 5-section patio door.

The door is U-PVC in brown. This is fine outside but inside I would prefer it to be white.

Is there anyway to paint the door without it looking like a paint job - that is to say it really needs to look good.

Don't want to change the door as it would cost about £5k.
 We Need A DIY Sub Forum :-) - movilogo
Its is often difficult to explain DIY without drawing/demonstrating. So, YouTube videos are better on this aspect.

There are also dedicated DIY forums.

Lastly, younger generation is DIY-phobic in general.
 We Need A DIY Sub Forum :-) - No FM2R
What a very useful post.
 We Need A DIY Sub Forum :-) - No FM2R
This is the answer, apparently.

www.sandtex.co.uk/products/sandtex-pvc-u-primer/

Not sure I'd do it myself, I think it'll be very difficult to get a really smooth finish like you might be expecting from uPVC frames.

Depends how much you dislike brown, I guess.
 We Need A DIY Sub Forum :-) - Zero
Save up and in a few years time, when the UVPC ones have drooped to barely useable levels, replace them with powder coated steel and alloy ones.
And yes, if you need any DIY hints, home or car, youtube is the place to go. Someone somewhere has done it and filmed it.
I tested the Beemers self levelling air suspension t'other day when I loaded it up with 12 sq meters of engineered wood flooring. (and vapour barrier and underlay)

the 12sq metres of engineered wood flooring (and underlay and vapour barrier) has just been laid over the last two days in the new conservatory. And damn fine it looks too. Treated my self to a new sliding powered mitre saw to slice through the 190mm wide planks. I am amazed at the price of power tools these days, under a 100 quid.

We Need A DIY Sub Forum :-) - MD
>> I am amazed at the price of power tools these days, under a 100 quid.

Make?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Aug 18 at 21:10

>> >> Make?

The floor or the tool?

The floor was from Wickes, fantastic to work with, the end click design pulls them together nicely, tho I need to get a hook to a couple of rows, and the T&G design works well.

The tool was a Screwfix chinese special, Titan, no Makita for sure, but under a 100 quid for a sliding single bevel that can cope up to 230mm wide it's ideal for the occasional light use a DIYer needs.
 We Need A DIY Sub Forum :-) - henry k
>> .... replace them with powder coated steel and alloy ones.
>>
My 12 year old white aluminium French door and windows are great plus they are much neater with thinner frames than UPVC.
I am sold on the aluminium but can't justify the cost at the moment as the current ones are serviceable and the mortgage comes first.
 We Need A DIY Sub Forum :-) - henry k
>> I am sold on the aluminium but can't justify the cost at the moment as
>> the current ones are serviceable and the mortgage comes first.
>>
Understandable. Our replacements were not cheap.
We just have a conventional hinged door so no experience of anything more complex.
Our previous windows were 1930s steel Crittalls so the thin frames were just what we wanted.
So many of the UPVC installations nearby have ghastly thick frames and the glazing looks more like a letter box.
>> >> I am sold on the aluminium but can't justify the cost at the moment
>> as
>> >> the current ones are serviceable and the mortgage comes first.
>> >>
>> Understandable. Our replacements were not cheap.
>> We just have a conventional hinged door so no experience of anything more complex.
>> Our previous windows were 1930s steel Crittalls so the thin frames were just what we
>> wanted.
>> So many of the UPVC installations nearby have ghastly thick frames and the glazing looks
>> more like a letter box.
>>

The more complex the installation, the more the need for properly engineered steel/aluminium solution. The thinner the frame, the greater the cost. Just chucked out some UVPC french doors / side windows that cost about 1k 10 years ago, and would cost similar now. Wanted some very thin ones made, but balked at the 6k cost and the 18 week lead time. Went instead for some slightly thicker ones, from another source at 3.5k and 8 week lead time.
The house I am buying is Spanish villa style, split level bungalow with 2 garages under.

One of the garages has been converted to a den, but quite crudely, with no windows and I want to change the garage door to something like a French door to get maximum light and pass building regs.

All of the windows in the house are double glazed but on hardwood frames. Some of the glass needs replacing as it mists up inside.

The garage doors are wooden and very dark brown and both need repair or replacement.

One of them will remain a garage door. For the other, I was thinking along these lines:

www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Albery-Georgian-Bar-Solid-Oak-Laminate-French-Doors-6ft-with-2-Side-Lites-300mm/p/221653

But I am not keen on wood as it requires too much maintenance. So aluminium is the way to go. I am not sure that I have seen anything that matches the look - it needs to fit with a Spanish Villa type property.

I would like a lighter colour but I am not sure that it would go with a white villa.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Last edited by: Driver on Fri 17 Aug 18 at 23:45
Latest Forum Posts