Non-motoring > Sandtex Hi-Build... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 6

Sandtex Hi-Build... - MD
...Exterior Masonry paint that can be trowelled on and then rollered (with a special roller) to cover fine cracks and uneven surfaces.

Have any of you good folk used it?

MD.
 Sandtex Hi-Build... - sherlock47
I once owned a house with white Sandtex coated pebbledash. Having tarted it up once using brush/rollers, I swore that NEVER again would I buy a property which was similarly treated.

I suspect that spraying may be an easier option. In fact looking on the web...…
www.sandtextrade.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/1970/01/Sandtex-Trade-High-Build-TDS.pdf
gives spraying as an option!
 Sandtex Hi-Build... - Zero
I have a pebbledashed house, I have painted it, just had a conservatory built with dwarf walls, that needed to be pebbledashed, I painted that too. I use sandtex but just th regular paint.

My thoughts are that if you are using stuff thick enough that has to be troweled on then you need to be thinking about rendering it properly.

Sandtex Hi-Build... - sherlock47
I should have added that the pebble dash I had was not the small rounded little stones like used in modern houses (3-8mm), but larger mixed flint like stones up to 25mm with sharp edges say. Maybe there is a technical term ? rough cast?? But I cannot find it
 Sandtex Hi-Build... - MD
Yes my friend, you of course are quite correct and rendering etc. is my game, but the decision has been made to move the property on so you can guess the rest :-)
 Sandtex Hi-Build... - Mapmaker
I have used (they stopped making it recently) Wickes 'Ripple Paint' which has a simliar (interior) function. You can put it on thick, and then sand it back, and repeat, for a super-smooth gesso-like finish on wood.

It will be very similar; huge quantities of Titanium dioxide in the paint.
 Sandtex Hi-Build... - devonite
I once tried that thick interior stuff (think it was made by Polyfiller) at about £20 quids a tub, - Went absolutely nowhere! - would have taken at least 10-12 tubs to do the wall! - knocked it off again when it was dry, just filled the deeper cracks and holes, and painted it with a textured paint, - came up quite nice in the end! ;-)
Latest Forum Posts