Non-motoring > Pembrokeshire Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 10

Pembrokeshire - legacylad
I’ve never been to that part of the world, but friends who’ve walked the coast path tell me it’s rather nice. My new super lightweight sleeping bag arrives imminently, so together with my tarptent, it’s time I headed there, hopefully mid August for two weeks.
180 miles approx, Amroth ( near Tenby) north to St Dogmaels ( near Cardigan I think). I’ll use my newly acquired old gits railpass to get there, and back, and try to cover 15 miles a day backpacking on the cheap.
Wish me, and my manky hip, good luck.
I’m sponging off a friend in Ibiza early September, then late September back to the Costa Blanca with chums, living the dream with €2.35 bottles of Verdejo and cheap Mahou, in a dirt cheap villa.
 Pembrokeshire - Cliff Pope
>> St Dogmaels ( near Cardigan I
>> think).

Opposite bank of the river to Cardigan. It is in Pembrokeshire now, having only gained independence from Ceredigion (Cardiganshire) very recently.
Good meals at the Ferry
 Pembrokeshire - Rudedog
Pembrokeshire is now our go-to place for holidays, we stay in NT properties in Stackpole, nice open land for walking plus very nice beaches (busy in Summer time).

One thing if you are following the coastal path… be aware of the Castlemartin MOD firing range, when it’s in use the path is diverted inland which means you could miss the Green-Arch and Stacks.
 Pembrokeshire - martin aston
I don't like this publicity for Pembrokeshire. Its a well-kept secret. We compare it to Cornwall without the crowds. You will enjoy it I am sure .......but shhh meantime!
 Pembrokeshire - Harleyman
If you're going by rail, you'll find that the local network in Pembrokeshire is actually half-decent, particularly down the south side.

Narberth is a delightful little town, well worth a visit; the station is about half a mile distant. Pembroke itself is nice, Pembroke Dock less so.

If you want to do a bit more than walking, you can also buy a West Wales Rover ticket for local buses, valid for a week and costs only £30; details here...

www.carmarthenshire.gov.wales/home/council-services/travel-roads-parking/bus-services/fares-and-ticketing/#.W2dEzdJKiUk

Not sure if there's an OAP discount.

Don't know where you're travelling from but if it's from middle/northern England the Heart of Wales line from Shrewsbury to Llanelli is well worth travelling for the marvellous scenery..... well it is till you get to Llanelli!
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 5 Aug 18 at 19:47
Plans now firmed up. Train from Settle 17/08 changing at Leeds & Mter Piccadilly, disembarking at Kilgetty ( near Amroth where the Coast Path begins) some 9.5 hours later
Returning from Fishguard + Goodwick 15 days later, via Carmarthen, Manc & Leeds. £60 return. I’ve bought the Cicerone guide book and plan to backpack ultra light...I’m going ‘cold’ which means no stove, fuel etc to reduce weight. Hope it doesn’t rain much for the two weeks I’m there!
I rarely get excited by holidays, and never spend weeks and days beforehand thinking about them. My preferred trips are always on the wing....arrive somewhere, no real plans, pick up hire car and off you go. Last September I roughly followed the route of the GR5 from Chamonix to Briancon through the Haute Savoie staying in huts and small hotels, much like my mountain biking friends are doing at the moment,, although it took me two weeks rather than one.
This trip I’m actually looking forward to in advance. An area totally unbeknown to me, backpack sub 10Kg, and a decent forecast for the next two weeks.
My only concern is recent news of some poor bloke found dead in his tent. He’d been there a year. Yuk. If I don’t post again within a few months then so long and thanks for all the fish
 Pembrokeshire - Duncan

>> My only concern is recent news of some poor bloke found dead in his tent.
>> He’d been there a year. Yuk. If I don’t post again within a few months
>> then so long and thanks for all the fish

Who is getting that BMW?

Do you want us to come and look for you? Just say the word.
I have a long standing friend who owns a Motor Factors business. He’s a real petrol head and keen motorbiker with an extensive list of trade contacts, and I think he has networked and found a willing buyer.
I darent get involved or I’d end up buying it back.....
In the meantime my brother is driving around in it....he was always on my nephews insurance, and it makes a change to his 1.6 Levorg and wife’s asthmatic 1.2 Fiat 500!
Currently stormbound at St David’s yoof hostel a few miles outside close to Whitesands Bay. Decided to get a roof over my head due to the forecadt of lashing rain most of the day. Duvet day but back on the coast path tomorrow. Glorious scenery but very poor weather, yesterday being the first dry day in 8. Worth waiting for. I’ll definitely be returning to this coastline again.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 26 Aug 18 at 08:02
What a fabulous part of the world. I definitely made the right decision to not join friends in the Austrian Alps and solo backpack the Pembrokeshire Coast Path instead. Apart from the iffy initial weather and a very wet Bank Holiday Sunday AM, it was hugely enjoyable. Lots of great small campsites away from the crowds, a couple had only 2 tents on them...overnight prices between £5 & £10. Friendly people, lots of extended conversations with fellow walkers and campers, stunning coastline views almost end to end, and access to the MOD Castlemartin East range coastal path on the first Sunday of walking.
The only downside being the journey time to get there by rail....leaving Goodwick- Fishguard at 09:45 yesterday, 4 train journeys later arriving Settle 8 pm.
Alcohol free, lost 9 lb, and drank gallons of tea at cafes, the final pot being at the Ferry Inn St Dogmaels in glorious sun awaiting the Poppit Rocket coastal bus service to get me back to Fishguard for my final night under silnylon ( canvas is soooo yesterday)
I may return next June and walk it in reverse...a part of the world where I could live quite happily.
Latest Forum Posts