Non-motoring > Log splitting Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 7

Log splitting - Slightlyfatdirector
Back in March we had a few big trees cut down and I now have tons of wood to chop up.

The tree surgeon cut these all into rounds, but some are 2ft to 2 1/2 ft across by about 6 - 8 inches deep.

I bought a log splitter (electric one from Screwfix) which says it will split logs 25cm x 37cm with a 4 ton force.

Any reason why I can't put wider stuff onto this and start splitting it into chunks using this too?

I appreciate that it wont neccesarily break it into pieces each time but I assume that with a few moves of the log and repeated activation it would chop these into a few log-sized objects?

Anyone on the forum had any experience of log splitters and using them with big stuff like this?

I can't see any risks, but am I missing something blinking obvious that an inexperienced person might not know?

Thanks all.
 Log splitting - Mapmaker
LMGTFY! ;) This looks quite cool.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMoj_P9Db-w

Log splitting - Cliff Pope
I've watched one in operation. Some of the logs cracked suddenly with explosive force and sent bits flying. You certainly need gloves and goggles, and I'd be nervous having to bend so close. I think better ones have the buttons on a lead so you can stand well back.
Sorry for the daly. Thanks MapMaker, perfect, and thanks for the tip Cliff.

I could not find that video despite googling away....

Perfect, Answers my questions and the one in the video is almost identical to mine (Screwfix Titan as opposed to the Wolf, but they probably all come from the same place).

Looks like I will be having some fun!

I have already fitted it to a 2nd hand coffee table that I have fitted locking castors to the legs of so I can move it to the log pile and start working my way through it.

Much less concerned now.....
Delay..... :)
 Log splitting - MD
2nd hand coffee table. You’re goin’ to get hurt. I can sense it.
 Log splitting - Ambo
All four hands at risk at once late in the clip. I'm amazed that these machines can be operated without guards.
>>>>>2nd hand coffee table. You’re goin’ to get hurt. I can sense it.

In isolation that does sound a bit dodgy doesn't it?!

Nah, huge solid table made of really heavy pine with big solid legs.

They recommend that you bolt the log splitter to a bench or similar, and so I bought the table specifically and have drilled the holes into the table and bolted the splitter to that, so it is very solid and secure. Have put it on castors so I can wheel it out of the garage to the garden, and these are locking ones and I will chock the table too.

The splitter along is really very heavy, although it does have wheels on one end. Once on this bench it really is quite a substantial bit of kit, and I also won't need to be on my hands and knees to operate it :)

I have no plans on risking an injury if I can help it :)
Latest Forum Posts