Non-motoring > McCartney and the other old folk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 13

McCartney and the other old folk - smokie
I see Macca did a 28 song setlist gig at the Cavern Club the other day. I would loved to have seen it.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44964710

He also performed at the Abbey Road studios on Monday.

And he did a surprise concert in a pub on James Corden's Car Share feature bit back. Obviously enjoying himself still, at 76 years old.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-44435526

My big sis was a true Beatles fan in the Beatlemania days and ISTR had hair clippingd and a bit of windscreen wiper, and I think she still has all the floppy Christmas records they sent to their fan club.

He does a great concert, as did the Stones when I saw them a month or so back in Southampton (pit tickets) and Cardiff. Both were £30 lucky dip tickets! I was lucky enough to see the Stones, McCartney, Bob Dylan, Roger Waters, The Who and Neil Young all perform 2+hr concerts over 3 days in California in 2016 and I really enjoy the opportunities to see these bands.

I can't think of any original bands still going that I really feel are "must see" but I'm sure there's some out there. Wish I'd seen Queen back in the day...

Anyone else interested in music?
 McCartney and the other old folk - Duncan
>> I see Macca did a 28 song setlist gig at the Cavern Club

No you didn't.

Humbug.
 McCartney and the other old folk - R.P.
We do a few gigs.

Saw Led Zepp in 1978, ACDC in 1981 and Quo then as well. UFO and Kiss were others at that time.

In more recent years seen Clapton, Squeeze several times, ELO, Mike and the Mechanics, Paul Carrack a couple of times, Brian Adams, Elton John, Brian May, Proclaimers (most recently last week), 10cc (seeing them soon again), Smokie a myriad of less well known bands and individuals including John Randell, Herb Pedersen John Jorgerson (very small venues) loads of upcoming young singers, Amy Wadge (Award winner for writing for Ed Sheeran) - Seeing Richard Thompson in few weeks..love small venues. I was lucky to be a volunteer steward at a local theatre before moving here - saw some very big names at no cost. We do concerts.
 McCartney and the other old folk - Bobby
How were The Proclaimers?

Still not seen them in concert, tried to get tickets for this tour but sold out within seconds, no doubt onto the touts sites.
Very good. We were in row E (so pretty close) a reasonable £30.00 apiece. Their support act, Jack Lukeman was superb - singing in a large venue with no PA at one point. A good night..great stuff.
...drove home via the prom in Colwyn Bay after the gig in the MX5 - roof down, 21 degrees, now they've ditched the awful pier it looked like and felt like the south of France..
 McCartney and the other old folk - Stuartli
>> I see Macca did a 28 song setlist gig at the Cavern Club

No you didn't.
Humbug.>>

I fail, for whatever reason, to see exactly what you mean by those comments.

I do see that you might have misunderstood the OP's comment.

Some 110 tickets were available to the public from the Echo Arena (most of those wanting them were outside the Cavern Club) and they were quickly snapped up.

Used to know the Beatles well, Paul's father, manager Brian Epstein and PR manager Tony Barrow.
 McCartney and the other old folk - BiggerBadderDave
"PR manager Tony Barrow"

And his brother, Will?
>> >> I see Macca did a 28 song setlist gig at the Cavern Club
>>
>> No you didn't.
>> Humbug.>>
>>
>> I fail, for whatever reason, to see exactly what you mean by those comments.
>>
>> I do see that you might have misunderstood the OP's comment.

Well, for a start those remarks weren't addressed to you.

However, I think this particular 76 year old really should call it a day and put his feet up.

The Cavern Club is gorn. Excavated, demolished, filled in, not there no more.

What's that you say - this is the NEW Cavern Club? Well you could call the shed on my allotment the Cavern Club (if I had an allotment and a shed), that doesn't make it the Cavern Club.

I didn't misunderstand anything.
I suspect you've spent too much time in the heat in your allotment Duncan :-)

Your post made no sense to me either, but now you've explained it it makes even less! It may not be the original brickwork but a Cavern Club does exist at what I believe to be the address of the original Cavern Club. See www.cavernclub.org/history/ Your shed isn't even in the right city.

It's easy and I guess probably correct to say that Macca isn't quite as good as he used to be, but I'm not sure anyone who has been to a concert in the past couple of years would fully agree. Whatever, he's still selling out on his current tour. www.echoarena.com/whats-on/paul-mccartney-the-freshen-up-tour/

>> I suspect you've spent too much time in the heat in your allotment Duncan :-)
>>
>> Your post made no sense to me either, but now you've explained it it makes
>> even less! It may not be the original brickwork but a Cavern Club does exist
>> at what I believe to be the address of the original Cavern Club.

Those nice people at Wikipedia say:-

"The Cavern Club was a nightclub at 10 Mathew Street, Liverpool, England.

The Cavern Club opened on 16 January 1957 as a jazz club, later becoming a centre of the rock and roll scene in Liverpool in the 1960s. The Beatles played at the club in their early years.[1]

The Cavern Club closed in March 1973 and was filled in during construction work on the Merseyrail underground rail loop."

But hey!

It's summertime and if it keeps you happy?
 McCartney and the other old folk - tyrednemotional

>> I was lucky enough to see the Stones, McCartney, Bob Dylan, Roger Waters, The Who
>> and Neil Young all perform 2+hr concerts over 3 days in California in 2016 and

...I think I said this when you posted about it in the past.

Of those, McCartney is the one who, IMO, has not worn well in performance. Maybe he *should* give up the day job.

I've seen Dylan reasonably recently, and he also hasn't worn well in performance (well, for 20+ years actually), but his backing band were extremely tight, and rather made up for it.

Neil Young I last saw 9 years ago, and he was an absolutely undiminished tour-de force (though he still had Rick Rosas and Ben Keith in his band then; sadly no longer with us, and a very great part of the 'ambience').
Yeah I'm getting repetitive. :-)

McCartney is actually as good now as he's ever been IMO. I saw him a couple of times on TV (often stuff with royal connections I think) and I a,so thought he'd be no good and almost skipped his concert, but he did the longest set at Desert Trip (only by a smidge) and much of it sounded just like the original. He hasn't lost it just yet!!

Dylan was a waste of space, no audience interaction. It was the week his Nobel prize was announced.
 McCartney and the other old folk - Stuartli
To be strictly honest, Paul's voice is not the same as it was but, like Frank Sinatra, the charisma and some fabulous songs and music carry the day.
Latest Forum Posts