Non-motoring > Leaf Blowers Green Issues
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 13

Leaf Blowers - sherlock47
I have been first in the queue to denounce these machines as the work of the devil - probably because living next to a graveyard, where they are incessantly used by the contractors, I suffer more than most from noise and the redistribution of nature's detritus.

However I have a specific need to remove smallish (2cm - 10cm) dead needles from the artificial grass in the pool area. Various brushes do not work effectively having tried everything from besom , american corn, to hard and soft domestic brooms. A domestic vacuum cleaner also seems to be relatively ineffective.

Mains powered devices of reasonable power - 2800W are available but I try to discourage the use of power tools close to the pool. Petrol powered are expensive and I suspect prone to non starting when used by SWMBO.

Cordless devices are puny - just do the arithmetic of using an 18v 1.5Ahr Lion powered device! I can hardly believe they work.

Any comments please.
 Leaf Blowers - R.P.
I had a Flymo leaf sucker (although it could blow) which was first class (electric) when I was surrounded by trees ! This was sold when I moved to Anglesey, only to buy another after the first autumn ! This was a Bosch electric one which sucked and blew and was again an excellent bit of kit. I find blowers pointless, although there must be a point
 Leaf Blowers - Bromptonaut
>> I find blowers pointless, although there must be a point

They're pretty pointless in ordinary gardens but are useful in public spaces where they move leaves around for a mechanised sweeper, or another team member, to pick them up. Biking from Euston to Chancery Lane I'd often see Camden Council's street teams use them that way around the squares and open spaces.

Alright as long as there was no real wind blowing.....
 Leaf Blowers - Old Navy
I have a 240V leaf vacuum / blower, an excellent bit of kit in suck mode. Make sure the target of the vacuum is absolutly bone dry, even slightly damp leaves etc will block the fan. At least mine is now well maintained having been stripped, cleaned, and lubricated. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 21 Jul 18 at 12:07
 Leaf Blowers - CGNorwich
1 Get rid of green plastic.
2 Put down some turf.
3 Buy lawn rake.
 Leaf Blowers - sherlock47
>> 1 Get rid of green plastic.
>> 2 Put down some turf.
>> 3 Buy lawn rake.
>>
Thankyou for your contribution.

I now realise that I should have asked for 'helpful' comments.
 Leaf Blowers - R.P.
www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Chainsaws-Lawn-Mowers-Leaf-Blowers-And-More/Blowers-and-Vacuum-Shredders/01584/Cordless-Li-Ion-hand-held-blower.aspx

Stihl do a Li-Ion. That is going to work ! We forked out for a Stihl strimmer (2 stroke), lovely bit of kit. It feel premium. I would imagine the weight of a petrol blower would be uncomfortable.
 Leaf Blowers - CGNorwich
It is helpful. I guarantee you won’t have the problem with real grass. And you will benefit from something natural to look at
 Leaf Blowers - No FM2R
I find blowers particularly useful when I am clearing an area and working in the direction of a wall or large concrete/tarmac area. Very useful to get everything into a single easy-to-clean area.

I do not find the suckers much cop on small stuff like pine needles. They're ok on leaves, though even then with large quantities it is easier to blow them rather than having to keep emptying a bag.

>>I try to discourage the use of power tools close to the pool

I take your point, but with the right electrical protection you ought to be reasonably safe.

>>Petrol powered are expensive and I suspect prone to non starting when used by SWMBO.

Noisy, require maintenance, need to keep the fuel fresh, heavy, prone to dirt, horrible and guaranteed not to start for any female in a position to take out her wrath on you.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 21 Jul 18 at 18:44
 Leaf Blowers plastic lawn - sherlock47
I borrowed a a Black and Decker blower, (ok, so not a Rolls Royce), rated at 3kW, and that does the job fairly effectively. However it is a little heavy and unmanageable for SWMBO.

I have always had great respect for Stihl kit as it was aimed at the truly professional market, with prices to match. However looking at some of the recent product offerings they appear to be distinctly down market and built with a price to match the bottom end competition. Has the Brand been diluted in the race for sales?

I am still somewhat doubtful of how a 18v 1.5Ah cordless can compete with any 3kW device, even when allowing for a manufacturers battery life rating of 10 minutes :)
 Leaf Blowers plastic lawn - four wheels good...
For our areas of flattish ground, lawns, pathways, drive etc I use a rotary mower with the height setting at maximum to remove leaves. Works well for me providing the leaves are fairly dry.

A couple of places I use a leaf rake to move wayward leaves to where the mower can reach.

This also works to clear up the smaller debris after cutting hedges.
 Leaf Blowers plastic lawn - Bromptonaut
>> For our areas of flattish ground, lawns, pathways, drive etc I use a rotary mower
>> with the height setting at maximum to remove leaves. Works well for me providing the
>> leaves are fairly dry.

That works for me too. Only needed for a week or two in autumn when next door's walnut tree drops its leaves.
 Leaf Blowers plastic lawn - Timeonmyhands
Using a leaf blower can be very dangerous, if you fall out of the tree.
 Leaf Blowers plastic lawn - helicopter
I too use the rotary mower to collect the leaves from my lawn.I have four very tall birch trees and laurel hedges

Incidentally the lawn is already covered in dead leaves due to the dry weather so it may be a job for next week if they are not all removed by the very blowy conditions today.

Of course I used to have some very effective leaf blowers in my working life.....Agusta Westland, Bell and Sikorski but they are a bit pricey to operate....
Latest Forum Posts