Non-motoring > Spanish Submarine too big for its dock Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 25

Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - Manatee
The funniest story I've read for some time.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44871788

Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - Old Navy
One of our submarines ran aground when it was launched at Barrow, this would have been in the late '60s. It was one of the Polaris boats. These days they are lowered into the water with a shiplift.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 18 Jul 18 at 17:10
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - Cliff Pope
>>These days they
>> are lowered into the water with a shiplift.
>>

The same as when I made model boats. I lowered them into the water carefully to see whether they floated.
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - tyrednemotional
....and if it didn't, you declared it to be a submarine?
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - rtj70
So someone got a decimal point in the wrong place and it was too heavy. So to 'fix it' they made it longer and even heavier.

I wonder if the other submarines of the same model are going to be longer/heavier or did they fix those more effectively?
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - bathtub tom
A building I was involved with was due to have an additional floor added to accommodate extra equipment. I was surprised it was necessary and checked the calculations of the person involved. Found they'd moved a decimal point two places. The additional floor was cancelled and I never did get any thanks.
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - helicopter
I am sure that they have enough room for it to dock in Gibraltar if the Spanish ask nicely.....😆
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - R.P.
Well Gibraltar did vote to remain. It would make sense for it to stay with Spain !
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - neiltoo
Reminds me of a possibly untrue story.
The BBCbuilt some new studios and wanted to know if a grand piano would fit through the door.
Rather than trundle a heavy instrument through the corridors, the props department was asked to build a mock-up.

As you guess, it was to big to get out of the workshop.......
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - jc2
One Swiss city had a new fleet of trams built and then found they could not get round a particular corner-a 15th. century building had to have some stonework removed.
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - Zero
French railways built trains too wide for its stations.

Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - Bromptonaut
>> French railways built trains too wide for its stations.

IIRC we've had gauging issues with new stock in UK too.
>> >> French railways built trains too wide for its stations.
>>
>> IIRC we've had gauging issues with new stock in UK too.

Not just new stock, NR is incapable of keeping the network to running or loading gauge.
Our submarines are built a little bit light, the working weight is then established with lead ballast in the bilges. Over the life of the boat extra kit inevitably gets added and some lead can be removed compensate. This allows the boat to be trimmed with internal water as the vessel get lighter during a patrol due to food being consumed, and waste and rubbish being removed.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 19 Jul 18 at 12:10
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - MD
Point of order O.N. To where does the waste get removed?
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - smokie
In today's cash strapped Navy, I expect they make it into torpedo shaped pellets to keep down the ordnance cost.
I remember reading a book many years ago by a guy called Peter Pook...relating the tale of the old days of submarines.

They had no 'heads' and so disposed of waste by that very method .. ie firing it out of the torpedo tubes.

Apparently when waste was to be fired out the request was made '$hit' and the reply given was 'Shoot'...
>> I remember reading a book many years ago by a guy called Peter Pook...relating the
>> tale of the old days of submarines.
>>

When I was a youngster in a WW2 built submarine it had toilets (heads) that were individually blown overboard. The request to the control room was " Request permission to shoot s***" the reply was either "negative" or "Carry on and shoot s***". Depending on the current operational circumstances.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 19 Jul 18 at 22:42
That request and reply may well have been in the regulations ON. I have no doubt that if you say that it was the proper request and reply then it is true.

The point of Pooks tale related above was that the submariners probably were bored and abbreviated the regulation request and reply to save time.

Thinking back it is probably over 60 years since I read the book .

Last edited by: helicopter on Thu 19 Jul 18 at 22:59
>> Point of order O.N. To where does the waste get removed?
>>

Dirty domestic water and sewage go into a tank, it is then liquidised and pumped into the sea. The fish you eat sound quite exited during the discharge!

General rubbish, food packaging, beer cans, etc. are compacted into steel containers and discharged through a vertical tube with doors at each end and a flushing system. I expect the rules have been tightened up since my day but this gives the general idea.

www.nap.edu/read/9190/chapter/10
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - bathtub tom
Hired a narrow boat many years ago on the Shropshire Union. Lavatory procedure required opening a valve to pump water in, closing it and opening another to pump the stuff out (this was into a reservoir feeder).
Getting it wrong could result in sinking the boat, unlike submarines, which is where I understand 'getting your own back' originates.
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - CGNorwich
.*******
I only saw the results of one case of someone getting their own back, a young trainee officer. It took him several hours to clean the surrounding area which was covered in pipework and cables. That submarine had no showers so it also took a while to clean himself with a few buckets of water. A lesson to the whole crew! In that submarine the heads could only be blown overboard above 100', even at periscope depth of on the surface the pressures involved were considerable.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 20 Jul 18 at 08:52
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - Driver
>> >> French railways built trains too wide for its stations.
>>
>> IIRC we've had gauging issues with new stock in UK too.
>>

On my line, we have tunnels too narrow for two trains! Adds about 15 minutes to a journey to London. Very annoying.

Originally the tunnels were too weak and had to be reinforced with extra layers of bricks which is why they are now too narrow.

But it is fun to laugh at Johnny Foreigner.

>> On my line, we have tunnels too narrow for two trains! Adds about 15 minutes
>> to a journey to London. Very annoying.
>>
>> Originally the tunnels were too weak and had to be reinforced with extra layers of
>> bricks which is why they are now too narrow.
>>
>> But it is fun to laugh at Johnny Foreigner.

Been like that on the Hastings line for years. They had to have special trains and locos made, got weird nicknames, like "The Hastings Thumper" or "Slim Jims"
 Spanish Submarine too big for its dock - Bromptonaut
>> Been like that on the Hastings line for years. They had to have special trains
>> and locos made, got weird nicknames, like "The Hastings Thumper" or "Slim Jims"

LAter they split some of the Hastings 'slim jims' and put the coaches together with standard width carriages for use on the Tonbridge-Reading line.

These units acquired the nickname 'Tadpoles'.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 20 Jul 18 at 08:32
Latest Forum Posts