Non-motoring > Ronaldo joins Juventus... Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 8

Ronaldo joins Juventus... - No FM2R
"The 33-year-old Portugal forward has joined the Italian champions for £99.2m after nine years at Real Madrid."

A lot of money, for sure. But so far Juventus have sold £57m in Ronaldo shirts alone!!

It's a different world.
 Ronaldo joins Juventus... - sooty123
What's that about a million shirts ? Seems an enormous amount.
 Ronaldo joins Juventus... - tyrednemotional
......he can't need more than, say, two a game, surely?

;-)
>>Seems an enormous amount.

Slight amendment in that it is Euros not GBP [sorry], but seemingly so.

A reported 530,000 shirts @EUR 105 in the first 24 hours.

Not all of that money will go to Juventus, but still, it's a s***load of cash.

Ronaldo joins Juventus... - sooty123
I'm surprised they had that many to sell but I suppose they anticipated this. Still that is some going.

I wonder what the split is on each shirt sold?
>>I wonder what the split is on each shirt sold?

I don't know but I bet it just went up.

They sell around 900k shirts a year. So in 24 hours Ronaldo just did 60% of their annual sales.

You'd have to assume that sales of their other shirts would now drop though.
 Ronaldo joins Juventus... - tyrednemotional
...it certainly is a shirtload of cash......

;-)
 Ronaldo joins Juventus... - Mapmaker
I wonder what cut of that 57m Ronaldo gets. Surely some sort of profit share on shirts will have been written into his contract.

Would the club outsource the process, or is it in-house? I'm guessing a delivered shirt costs no more than a tenner.

I've never remotely understood the concept of fandom. Fair enough, support your local football team, much as you would support your national team; that I could understand. But how can you create an emotional attachment to a multinational company. It's not even as though its a group of eleven players whom you are supporting, they change teams regularly. Even the owners of a multinational corporation can change, it's not they whom you are supporting.

What is it, therefore, that a fan supports? The only constant is the stadium. And even the stadium can change.

In this case, it appears that it is a person whom they are supporting. Do you think the team that Ronaldo used to play for have lost supporters to Juventus? Is that how it works?
 Ronaldo joins Juventus... - Haywain
"What is it, therefore, that a fan supports?"

That's a valid question. For me it is .....

Fundamentally the sport - I can strike up an instant conversation with anyone similarly interested, much as I can with, say, a motorcyclist. However, I am not of the football cognoscenti who know every fact about every match that has ever been played.

Principally, I support my local team with a secondary interest in a couple of teams that I have watched in the past - largely as a result of where I've been living.

It is also possible to follow the career of an individual player who may move on from the club that you follow. It is always a bit sad to lose a decent player to bigger club, but no true football supporter would begrudge a youngster the opportunity to move on. The recent classic case of that is Nick Pope, the goalie who now plays for Burnley and is on the bench for England. Contrary to the impression the media may give you, there are some very decent people involved with and playing football.

I should perhaps mention that I have never bought or worn a football shirt in my life - if I did, my wife would kill me.

Latest Forum Posts