Non-motoring > Wasp nest removal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 38

Wasp nest removal - Ambo
What does this cost in your area? I had two, one in a low garden wall, the other under a large bush. My usual man used to charge £20 per nest. Three years on, he quoted £80 for the two. I got the council to do the same job for their standard £78.

I was surprised when the operative told me that hornets are now a protected species, although that does not apply to the Asian variety.

(In France, hornet nests are removed free of charge by the fire service.)
 Wasp nest removal - Zero
Just go out there at night with a torch and can of wasp nest killer. Spray it into the entrance.

They will al be gone in 48 hours
 Wasp nest removal - sooty123
We had one a couple of weeks ago in the fruit tree in the garden. They appeared and then went inside 48 hrs. Perhaps they like to move about a lot? I don't know much about them tbh.

Perhaps your wasp nest will move on?
 Wasp nest removal - Zero
>> We had one a couple of weeks ago in the fruit tree in the garden.
>> They appeared and then went inside 48 hrs. Perhaps they like to move about a
>> lot? I don't know much about them tbh.

It was either not a nest, a failed attempt to nest, or they are still there waiting to pounce on you.

There are lots of failed attempts to create new nests, failing for a myriad of reasons. Before I had my Facias and Soffits redone, I often had very small or half finished/abandoned wasp nests in my roof spaces.
 Wasp nest removal - Manatee
If you get one of those ant killer trigger sprays, adjust the spray to a jet, and fire it into the nest entry/exit hole it will kill the nest.

It seriously upsets the wasps though. I fell off the ladder, fortunately I was able to get up and run like hell for the back door. I slammed it behind me with wasps hurling themselves against it.

I'd probably try it at night next time.

I didn't like doing it and if they leave me alone I'll leave them alone. But this one was in a tree in the garden and they kept stinging my young son when he was out playing.
 Wasp nest removal - VxFan
>> I'd probably try it at night next time.

Remember to hide their torches first ;)
 Wasp nest removal - R.P.
£50.00 here. LA don't do it anymore, but they have approved contractors...
 Wasp nest removal - Lygonos
Had one in the attic of my cottage last year about the size of a football - wasps were getting in/out through a gap in the slates.

I would have left them alone but dead ones were dropping into the hall and freaked out the gaffer.

One spray can of wasp nest destroyer foam all over the nest via the loft hatch while using my phone as a video periscope sorted them out.
 Wasp nest removal - R.P.
The gaffer was stung on her foot. So war was declared.
 Wasp nest removal - Slightlyfatdirector
I read this with interest as have a large active wasps nest in my garage, and an invisible one of unknown size by my front door that is in a completely inaccessible place through a gap in some oak-work.

For the last weeks I have left them alone. They have not harmed me so why harm them?, but I have some young family members coming to visit this weekend, and the wasps have been becoming a little more aggressive to me as I have passed them too.

I read about the foam sprays to go on / over the nests but did not know how to deal with the completely hidden one.

My wife called a local chap who was there in 10 minutes and who did the spray thing on the visible nest and then put down a spray or powder all around the entrance to the other nest, and the wasps walk over this, pick up the powder as they do, take it to the nest where it is passed to the others which deals with them.

This was done at 2pm yesterday and when I came back from work all activity had stopped at both sites.

He charges £60 for the first nest and £10 for each other one which seemed good value and saved me both the hassle and risk of stings!

He showed my wife how they have actually been chewing away at some woodwork we have on the outside of the house. They then roll up bits of this to take to the nest. I had not realized that they were actually destructive, and it seems like my 'leave them to it' attitude might be different if they come back next year.

I will also pop up one of those fake wasp nest deterrents as well....
 Wasp nest removal - Lygonos
>>I had not realized that they were actually destructive

Those paper nests have to come from somewhere...

Never seen any significant damage done by wasps but fine strips can be taken off exposed wood/fences.

>> powder all around the entrance to the other nest

Some years ago I had an inaccessible nest so using my enormous intellect decided to puff ant killer powder through the entrance late in the evening when it had quietened down.

Cue me running promptly away from said nest as kamikaze wasps covered in powder crashed and burned all around.

It worked though.
 Wasp nest removal - Pat
>>He charges £60 for the first nest<<

You will live in these posh areas! It's only £40 in the Fen and that's for one under tiles on a roof.

Pat
 Wasp nest removal - Falkirk Bairn
£50 a few years back - it was so big that a week later the wasps on the floor of the loft filled the hoover twice.
The actual nest was too big for a black sack - cut it in 2 and put each half in a black bag.

Since that time I have put on gloves. balaclava & taped the seams - then sprayed the way in to the nest with ant powder. £2.00 or less & works a treat. Repeat after 24 hours in case there are still some lurking around.
 Wasp nest removal - R.P.
Fifty quid in Wales. Somewhere between posh and rural then !

My grandmother poked a wasps' nest with a stick. I lost out on going to the cinema that night to see On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
 Wasp nest removal - Crankcase

>> My grandmother poked a wasps' nest with a stick. I lost out on going to
>> the cinema that night to see On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

You were better off.
 Wasp nest removal - MD
I read somewhere that they actually do a lot of good, polly-nation and all that old Jazz.
 Wasp nest removal - Bromptonaut
>> I read somewhere that they actually do a lot of good, polly-nation and all that
>> old Jazz.

Yup. Problem is late in season when there are surplus 'workers' left to fend for themselves and, without a communal mission but still needing to survive, they get aggressive
 Wasp nest removal - CGNorwich
They will all die come the winter except for the queen. Wasps do do a lot of good both in fertilising flowers and killing other pests. All part of the balance of nature. If they are not a problem just leave them be..
 Wasp nest removal - Bromptonaut
>> If they are not a problem just leave them be..

Pretty much my line. They're only a problem when we eat outside or possibly indoors with patio doors open.
 Wasp nest removal - CGNorwich
Cider seems to be the ultimate drink for attracting wasps. Surrounded by them at lunchtime. Not surprising really since they also love rotting apples.
 Wasp nest removal - VxFan
Just had an invoice for £48 come through the post from my private landlord to have a wasps nest death with. Bit annoyed as when I phoned them to arrange for someone to come out, they said it was free!

I think I've been stung. Waiting for them to get back to me now about it.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 20 Jul 18 at 02:25
 Wasp nest removal - legacylad
I had one close to my back door, single storey extension, and they were making a large nuisance of themselves.
Entrance to their nest was a small hole in soffit, so pushed some clear plastic tubing through then pumped in powder. Did the job
 Wasp nest removal - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I think I've been stung. Waiting for them to get back to me now about
>> it.
>>
...I assume you gave them a buzz to complain about it......
 Wasp nest removal - Zero
>>
>> >> My grandmother poked a wasps' nest with a stick. I lost out on going
>> to
>> >> the cinema that night to see On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
>>
>> You were better off.

Yeah, the worse bond film ever, much more action in "Granny goes Hornets"
 Wasp nest removal - Crankcase
Might have gone to see The Sting.
 Wasp nest removal - R.P.
I witnessed the event. I thought it was a strange local dance..
 Wasp nest removal - Fullchat
Well this thread is the kiss of death!

My roof is hipped on all our corners and have really thick insulation. Just noticed a lot of wasp activity around one of the corners. Ladders out. Sure enough they are coming in and out from underneath a number of tiles. So there is a nest in there somewhere.

There is felt under the tiles so Im assuming they have have either built a nest in a void between tile and felt(doubt it). Or they have found a route into the loft space or even the void behind sofit and facia (more likely the loft space).

Whichever the area is very restricted as regards 1./ getting near the nest for a safe hit and run 2./ applying any of the propriety killing fluids.

So I think its going to have to be left to nature.

Might go in loft and see if I can see into that area and see if something is hanging from the roof timbers.
 Wasp nest removal - Zero
Its currently dry, they go to sleep at night, around 23:00 get up there with a can of powder into their access holes

(after you finish your shift, not before)
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 20 Jul 18 at 14:45
Awkward getting under the tiles due to the gutter.

Do you reckon the powder ant killer would do the trick as Ive got stacks of that?
 Wasp nest removal - No FM2R
The ant killer does work, though I had to use a *lot*, but it 'irritates' then quite a lot first.

So a rapid exit plan is advisable.

How quickly can you come down a ladder without bouncing on the ground?

Zero's idea of night is probably better, even with the obvious difficulties.
 Wasp nest removal - bathtub tom
I dealt with one in a similar position by putting the powder in a bike pump and puffing it in their entrance after dark.
 Wasp nest removal - R.P.
Some house insurance policies cover this Fullchat...maybe time to let someone else take the risks...
Wise advice.

Neighbours giving me the eye. Up and down ladders in full motorcycling kit and full face helmet :)
>> in full motorcycling kit and full face helmet

Mmmm, one thing about that; It might stop most of the wasps getting in, but if one does get in then you'll play hell either getting it back out again or undressing fast enough to stop it giving you a proper seeing to.

Ask me how I know......
 Wasp nest removal - tyrednemotional
>> ........ and puffing it in their entrance after dark.
>>

....what, each wasp individually.......? :-O
Made me laugh out loud.
 Wasp nest removal - Zero

>> Do you reckon the powder ant killer would do the trick as Ive got stacks
>> of that?

Yeah ants and wasps are in the same Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order and Suborder and are very closely related to one another. What kills one will kill the other.

Trouble is, so are Bees
 Wasp Nest Removal - Update - Fullchat
Blocked up some of the holes under the tile ridges to reduce entrance/exits with bubble wrap and managed to blow some powder underneath the remainder.

Retreat! Very quickly I noticed reduced activity in the immediate area and then none. Nothing today.

There was no sign of a mass exodus in search of the offending wasp killer, nor masses of dead wasps. I'm presuming the nest, wherever it may be is now full of exterminated wasps. If that is the case the bit of powder I managed to squirt has had a significant impact. There are not even any survivors hanging about.
 Wasp Nest Removal - Update - Cliff Pope
You don't need much powder. Once there is a sprinkling round the entrance they tramp into the nest in dirty feet and spread it around. In my experience it kills them all.
Latest Forum Posts