Non-motoring > Trump - The balloon Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 61

Trump - The balloon - Pat
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/donald-trump-giant-angry-baby-london-orange-sadiq-khan-a8434981.html

Should this be allowed or not?

The pics that go around the world of President Trump's visit to the UK will be of this and not much else.

What message does that give out about our country? Or indeed, the Mayor of London?

Pat

Last edited by: Pat on Fri 13 Jul 18 at 04:02
 Trump - The balloon - MD
Teresa May?

Oh! MAYOR. Sorry :-)
 Trump - The balloon - sooty123
Meh, he's controversial so it's to be expected. It'll be blow over soon enough.
 Trump - The balloon - Zero
>> What message does that give out about our country? Or indeed, the Mayor of London?

It portrays an accurate message about what London thinks of trump. His tweets after the London terrorist attacks and his attacks on the mayor of London were disgraceful.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 13 Jul 18 at 10:22
 Trump - The balloon - Bromptonaut
>> What message does that give out about our country? Or indeed, the Mayor of London?

The Mayor didn't arrange or sponsor it, he just gave permission. Can you imagine the fuss about 'free speech' if he'd refused. Mind you there's bad blood the other way as Trump has previously insulted Sadiq Khan and cast aspersions against his religion.

The there's Farage saying This is the biggest insult to a sitting US president ever.

Really? Wasn't the birther campaign against Obama pretty insulting?

Never mind what happened to JFK......
 Trump - The balloon - Mapmaker
>>The there's Farage saying This is the biggest insult to a sitting US president ever.

Somebody wiser than I pointed out that burning down the White House in 1814 might just be a bigger insult.
>> >>The there's Farage saying This is the biggest insult to a sitting US president ever.
>>
>> Somebody wiser than I pointed out that burning down the White House in 1814 might
>> just be a bigger insult.

For which they have never forgiven us.

>> What message does that give out about our country?

It no longer matters what the rest of the world think about us, our reputation is in tatters anyway
 Trump - The balloon - Haywain
"What message does that give out about our country?"

It tells everyone that we are a nation of 18-year old nit-wits.
 Trump - The balloon - tyrednemotional

>>
>> It tells everyone that we are a nation of 18-year old nit-wits.
>>

...we're a bit too mature for the Donald to be visiting, then....
"...we're a bit too mature for the Donald to be visiting, then...."

Exactly - which is why we should be seen to behave like adults.
yougov.co.uk/news/2018/07/12/plurality-britons-support-trump-visiting-they-dont/
 Trump - The balloon - CGNorwich
>> "...we're a bit too mature for the Donald to be visiting, then...."
>>
>> Exactly - which is why we should be seen to behave like adults.
>>

It's a free country although some would like it not to be. Where do you stop? No balloon, no satirical political cartoons?, no Trump impressionists?, no hostile newspaper articles?
>>
>> It's a free country although some would like it not to be. Where do you
>> stop? No balloon, no satirical political cartoons?, no Trump impressionists?, no hostile newspaper articles?
>>

...indeed. Is it that much different to publishing satire such as this in the mainstream media (well, The Guardian anyway)?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/12/trump-looks-forward-to-not-meeting-anyone-in-britain-england

...it provided me with a little bit of amusement ;-)
 Trump - The balloon - Manatee
Spitting Image did far worse to our own top politicians for years.

The blow-up angry baby is good sport, if anybody ever needed lampooning it's the Donald. It's not as if he doesn't have a skin like a rhinoceros.
 Trump - The balloon - sherlock47
It's not as if he doesn't have a skin like a rhinoceros.

It is not the skin, it is the brain size that matters.
 Trump - The balloon - Robin O'Reliant
The more I see and hear of The Donald, the more I like him.
"The more I see and hear of The Donald, the more I like him."

Well ..... he was right about the NHS ....... and he was right about Africa ....... and about the UK being in post-referendum turmoil and ......

Trouble is that if the Don says it, then it's automatically wrong.

According to the lunchtime Beeb news, a very recent survey revealed that 70% of folks (Londoners?) "don't like him". I must admit, I'd have thought it would be more than that; he certainly wouldn't be my first choice as a drinking partner.
 Trump - The balloon - CGNorwich
There is a difference between being right and having views which align with your own political standpoint.
>> "The more I see and hear of The Donald, the more I like him."
>>
>> Well ..... he was right about the NHS .......

...that'll be the same NHS, part of which you will "be eternally grateful to".....

Good luck to those people who need such procedures in Trump's "made great" America post-Obamacare. :-(

And wasn't it most observant of him to say that say that "the UK is in post-referendum turmoil". I must be dumb, because I would never have noticed. :-)
 Trump - The balloon - Bobby
Trump is a modern day Hitler and he shouldn't be allowed to see his plans through.
 Trump - The balloon - Mapmaker
>> Trump is a modern day Hitler and he shouldn't be allowed to see his plans
>> through.

Not sure in what sense. Do you mean he is creating an economic miracle? That he plans to militarise the nation? Invade the world? Slaughter the Jews?
"Trump is a modern day Hitler and he shouldn't be allowed to see his plans through."

Ah - Godwin's Law makes an appearance.
"...that'll be the same NHS, part of which you will "be eternally grateful to"....."

Yes - you are quite right there. We had 3 months of the BBC News telling us that the NHS was in a mess and, while I was in hospital, I saw it for myself. Please note - I said that Trump was right that the NHS was in a mess - I did not say that I agreed with his ideas on the provision of healthcare.

What are your views on the NHS? I assume that you did not agree with the Beeb's/Trump's take on the matter, why not? Can I assume that you think that everything is working like clockwork?
"Blood on the walls", eh?; ISTR that was rebuffed by the medics in question.

You can assume what you wish on my opinion, it doesn't stop it being "fake news", though.

As it happens, my views on the NHS are (at least at the highest level) broadly similar to those on the EU.

They're both far from perfect, but I'd rather be with them than without them.

Close experience of either will emphasise those things that work well, and those that don't (and there will be a plethora of either of these in most organisations, never mind those of such a scale).

Whatever the shortcomings of the NHS, it seems to have coped pretty well with your recent urgent requirements (as, in my experience, it does in most such cases), and your post seemed rather churlish to me given what I remember of you describing your progress.

(I was interested, as one of my ex-work colleagues, who is now a walking companion, was rushed to hospital with a massive kidney infection at around the same time, and in a pretty bad state. It was touch and go whether he would lose the kidney, but he had a stricture diagnosed, and it was subsequently fixed by removing part of the ureter and rejoining. 6-months on he is having his first post-op holiday in Scotland, and back cycling. Whilst he can certainly point out a few issues in his 6-months experience of the NHS, his overall view is somewhat more upbeat than your apparent stance).
"I was interested, as one of my ex-work colleagues, .........."

Yes and yes again, I was indeed grateful for the attention that I received from the NHS and I am delighted to hear that your colleague has also made a good recovery.

My point was that, if the Beeb says it, it's right; but, if Trump says it, it's wrong.

I will say again, that I would not choose Trump as a drinking partner i.e. I don't like the bloke - but then, I only know him from what the media tell me.

>> I will say again, that I would not choose Trump as a drinking partner i.e.
>> I don't like the bloke - but then, I only know him from what the
>> media tell me.

I only know him from what he himself says on twitter. Thats sufficient.

>>
>> I only know him from what he himself says on twitter. Thats sufficient.
>>

...he's generally complimentary about you, though.........always going on about Zero tolerance....

;-)

>> ...he's generally complimentary about you, though..

Thats tremendously good thing a
 NHS drift - Manatee
Should we ever meet, it would be interesting to compare notes Haywain. I became seriously ill in January and now have a chronic heart problem.

I have had many hospital appointments and a 3 day stay. All the people I have encountered have been good, or excellent. The system however is a mess. At least four important referrals or procedures would probably not have been made, or carried out, had I not chased them up. What I mean by that is that I phoned about appointments I was waiting for to be told that they were not in the system.

The first one of these was the referral to cardiology from the respiratory team.

Another I didn't know about so couldn't follow up - I should have been booked for a heart MRI when I left hospital in February. It never happened. When I saw a consultant at the end of April, he added a footnote to my GP letter, addressed to a consultant at another hospital, requesting an expedited MRI for me.

I thought the chances of this request being picked up, being in a postscript after the signature on a c.c. of the letter, were low. After two weeks I rang the hospital concerned to be told they had no record of a request (this was one of the four instances). I scanned the letter myself and emailed it to them, and got the appointment.

I honestly think that had I patiently (hoho) waited for things to take their course, I would be dead.
 NHS drift - sooty123
I have had many hospital appointments and a 3 day stay. All the people I> have encountered have been good, or excellent. The system however is a mess. At least> four important referrals or procedures would probably not have been made, or carried out, had> I not chased them up. What I mean by that is that I phoned about appointments I was waiting for to be told that they were not in the system.

Likewise no issues at all when in the system, but the follow up admin, letters, further appointments seems very disjointed. I don't know why, but I get the impression no one talks to anyone. Family have similar experience.
 NHS drift - Haywain
"Should we ever meet, it would be interesting to compare notes Haywain. I became seriously ill in January and now have a chronic heart problem.

I have had many hospital appointments and a 3 day stay. All the people I have encountered have been good, or excellent. The system however is a mess........."

I can certainly identify with your observations - I have said to my wife on many occasions that it is as though the left hand and the right hand aren't operated by the same brain. In A&E, the chain of communications is, I would guess, relatively short whereas when different departments are involved, then that chain is longer, and is only as strong as the least conscientious or the poorest English speaker. To get the best or, indeed, to get anything out of the system, it helps to be articulate and intelligent, and to ask the right questions of the right people - and don't assume anything.

Another observation was that delays can lead to further inefficiencies. If I had been admitted for the nephrectomy after 18 weeks, then I may well not have developed the kidney infection which necessitated an emergency 4-day stay in hospital - as long as was needed for the actual nephrectomy. And the postponement of the first operation meant that a second pre-op assessment was required.

Unfortunately, the NHS is a victim of its own success ...... when I was admitted to hospital just after Christmas, sadly, over 2/3 of the chaps on the assessment ward were 85yo or more with multiple issues; they were clearly well-beyond patching up and putting back out onto the street. But what do you do? I don't have the answers, but I know that the NHS isn't dealing with what it was confronted with 70 years ago - I can only think that we will have to pay more.
 NHS drift - Zero

>> Unfortunately, the NHS is a victim of its own success ...... when I was admitted
>> to hospital just after Christmas, sadly, over 2/3 of the chaps on the assessment ward
>> were 85yo or more with multiple issues; they were clearly well-beyond patching up and putting
>> back out onto the street. But what do you do? I don't have the answers,
>> but I know that the NHS isn't dealing with what it was confronted with 70
>> years ago - I can only think that we will have to pay more.

Its doing a grand job, the UK is rated 20th on the list for life expectancy. So the NHS will have more stuff to deal with. The USA is 31st and falling down the list

Trump would call it fake news.
 NHS drift - No FM2R
Lot to be improved in the NHS, lots that could be better.

But honestly, try living without an NHS and you will really learn to appreciate it.

Not to so much for myself, I have global health insurance, but I do quite a lot of charity work and it mostly involves older people.

The suffering they go through, and the level of things we have to pay for them is mind-boggling and at a level that ought to be a basic human right.

Aside from anything else, it's like the challenges you face with travel insurance in the UK. You can't get cover if you're an older health risk, even though you are exactly the person that needs it.

Long live the NHS, even if we have to pay double for it.
 NHS drift - Bromptonaut
>> Long live the NHS, even if we have to pay double for it.

Spot on. Sure, like any other large organisations it has failings and cock ups but it's there, without exclusions, when you need it.

When my Mother was in her last hours we got frustrated because prescribed pain relief wasn't their when previous dose ran out - timings thing with dispensary. But once my sis and I pointed out the issue drugs were whisked up from another ward and administered.

Two years previously when she had cataract done privately at her personal cost (not insurance) we waited hours for discharge 'cos dispensary couldn't sort out drops etc in time.
 NHS drift - Haywain
" it's like the challenges you face with travel insurance in the UK. You can't get cover if you're an older health risk, even though you are exactly the person that needs it."

Is the age-weighting different then, if you buy your insurance in a country other than the UK?
 NHS drift - No FM2R
I don't understand your question.

Perhaps I was not clear;

Just for the purposes of explanation, I was trying to compare the difficulties people face getting day to day health insurance here with the challenges faced by older people with pre-existing health issues trying to obtain travel insurance in the UK.
 NHS drift - Haywain
"Perhaps I was not clear;"

No, you weren't.
 NHS drift - No FM2R
>> "Perhaps I was not clear;"
>>
>> No, you weren't.

I do apologise, I forgot that you might be one of the readers.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 17 Jul 18 at 23:52
 NHS drift - Haywain
"I do apologise, I forgot that you might be one of the readers."

Apology accepted; but you aren't unique, I have difficulties understanding D Trump as well.
>> My point was that, if the Beeb says it, it's right; but, if Trump says
>> it, it's wrong.

The Beeb reports stuff based on evidence whether from A&E stats, Government/Opposition statements, staffing numbers or workers' accounts of the pressures they experience.

Very different thing from Trump's message likening A&E to a casualty clearing station overflowing with knife victims blood because we can't control knives but ban guns. .
 Trump - The balloon - R.P.

The there's Farage saying This is the biggest insult to a sitting US president ever.

Another stupid comment from this idiot. The biggest insult to a sitting president was in 1814 when the Royal Engineers gained entry to the White House, ate the President's supper and then torched the place. I think, possibly, that that trumps the inflatable Trump.
 Trump - The balloon - No FM2R
Anybody know what Farage is for?

On the topic of the balloon, it is kind of juvenile. If they want to do it, good luck to them, but seems kind of pointless.
Agreed Mark. People who have been offended by it (on Twitter and FB) seem to be the ones moaning about how easily people are offended by things these days. Move on nothing to see here.
From John Cleese Facebook page....

My American friends are asking me about President Trumps’s observation that the British ‘like him’

I regret this is quite unfounded

The explanation for this canard is that Trump is pronoid
Pronoid is the opposite of paranoid. A paranoid person thinks, without any basis in reality, that everybody is out to get them. A pronoid person is someone who thinks, without any
basis in reality, that everybody likes them

The fact is that the British loathe Donald Trump

This is because he is the polar opposite of a ‘ Gentleman ‘, who has qualities the British admire. A fine example is Gareth Southgate

To the British, a ‘ Gentleman ' is a man who is modest, well-mannered, self deprecating, quietly intelligent, considerate of other people’s feeling, and well-informed.

He is not vulgar, inflated, vain, boastful, noisily ignorant, sleazy and common as muck

I hope this clears up any confusion
"a ‘ Gentleman ' is a man who is modest, well-mannered, self deprecating, quietly intelligent, considerate of other people’s feeling, and well-informed."

That's absolutely me - but I'm normally too modest to admit it :-)
 Trump - The balloon - Duncan
>> From John Cleese Facebook page....

>> My American friends are asking me about President Trumps’s observation that the British ‘like him’
>> The fact is that the British loathe Donald Trump

How did John Cleese establish this 'fact'?

I think Trump is a dope, but I don't hate him.

But then I think John Cleese is a dope, but I don't hate him either.
"The Beeb reports stuff based on evidence whether from A&E stats, Government/Opposition statements, staffing numbers or workers' accounts of the pressures they experience.

Very different thing from Trump's message likening A&E to a casualty clearing station overflowing with knife victims blood because we can't control knives but ban guns. "

Different routes ........ same conclusion, eh?
My niece is a Registrar at a provincial A&E - she agreed with Trump, her department is regularly like a war-zone.
"My niece is a Registrar at a provincial A&E - she agreed with Trump, her department is regularly like a war-zone."

OK, so I think we now reluctantly agree that Trump was right in believing that the NHS was in a bit of a mess What about his rude, undiplomatic and politically incorrect view that Africa is a shy toll?

I admit that I have rather less experience of Africa than of the NHS, though I did once see an incredible orange-all-over sunset off the North African coast. However, my son (the cameraman) has worked in Senegal, Ivory Coast, Niger etc and he tells me that he agrees with the Don's assessment.

Anyone on here got any realistic views on Africa? Will Brompt be along to tell us, after reading a tourist advert in the Grauniad, that Africa is the Garden of Eden/Paradise on Earth etc?
>> Anyone on here got any realistic views on Africa? Will Brompt be along to tell
>> us, after reading a tourist advert in the Grauniad, that Africa is the Garden of
>> Eden/Paradise on Earth etc?

How on earth can he talk about a continent that stretches from the Strait of Gibraltar to the Cape of Good Hope in one sweeping phrase? Of course it has it's share of shy tolls if you want to use that phrase. There are a multitude of reasons for their being in that state one of which is Westerh interference of one sort or another over the centuries.

Equally there are nations making progress against the odds.

And if Donny thinks his military can solve the problems he's totally off his chump.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 14 Jul 18 at 08:15
 Trump - The balloon - Duncan
>> "The Beeb reports stuff based on evidence whether from A&E stats, Government/Opposition statements, staffing numbers
>> or workers' accounts of the pressures they experience.
>>
>> Very different thing from Trump's message likening A&E to a casualty clearing station overflowing with
>> knife victims blood because we can't control knives but ban guns. "

Well, amongst other things, an A & E dept would be a casualty clearing station. There is a clue in the A & E bit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

The USA murder rate is some 4.45 times greater than that of the UK.
 Trump - The balloon - Stuartli
Like him or hate him, the fact is that Americans voted him as their President despite the fact he had no previous political experience.

They believed he would deliver on what he promised and that has mainly proved the case or intention, even though they might conflict with the views of others around the globe.

Bets are apparently already being taken that he will be re-elected for a second term. Make of that what you will.
>> Like him or hate him, the fact is that Americans voted him as their President
>> despite the fact he had no previous political experience.

Actually more Americans voted for Hilary Clinton, despite the fact she was universally disliked.
 Trump - The balloon - Stuartli
>>Actually more Americans voted for Hilary Clinton, despite the fact she was universally disliked. >>

Quite true, three million in fact, but there are similar anomalies in UK voting patterns area by area.
Police Scotland OTOH would not permit it to be 'flown' on their patch:

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/12/petition-asks-for-trump-baby-balloon-to-be-flown-over-scottish-golf-course
 Trump - The balloon - henry k

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-44832450/donald-trump-paragliding-protester-flies-over-president-s-scottish-hotel

and was not shot down.
www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/ive-met-some-d*******s-in-my-time-but-wow-says-queen-20180714175334

I love the line, She added: “Well I can’t abdicate now. The next one could be even worse and I’d hate to miss it.”

Arnie says you are a wet noodle

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtiDF7BQvA
 Trump - The balloon - No FM2R
What an utter, unmitigated t***.

www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44864739
 Ooops - No FM2R

Trump has a Lewinsky moment......

www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44906898
 Ooops - Driver
What's the difference between a kidney bean and a chickpea?

Apparently, chickpea videos are worth a fortune.
Latest Forum Posts