Non-motoring > European Mobile Calling Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 6

European Mobile Calling - Fullchat
Maybe this EU thing is not all its cracked up to be. Brexit aside :)

i am currently with a mobile phone provider who have an arena in London ;)

Just had received my monthly bill with an additional £7.00 charge to a mobile in Austria lasting 5 min. I thought it was a call made out there whilst we've been away but it turns out its a call I made from the UK to Austria.

Now I thought, with some restrictions, it was all joined up for the time being - wrong!!

Seems I have to have an 'International Bolt On' for an extra £3 a month and that reduces the costs of calls and texts. But there still is an extra cost.

So all future contact will have to be via some other messaging medium.

Dear, oh dear, oh dear!
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 11 Jul 18 at 12:41
 European Mobile Calling - Stuartli
Do you have Messenger or WhatsApp (both owned by Facebook)?

If so, providing both you and your caller have one or other (or both) installed, calls and messages are free using wi-fi.
 European Mobile Calling - Fullchat
I do.

Lesson learned.

I was under impression that mobile communication across the EU was all now compatible.

Wrong!
 European Mobile Calling - Zero
>> I was under impression that mobile communication across the EU was all now compatible.

It is

When roaming.

You were not. You were at home.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 11 Jul 18 at 21:13
 European Mobile Calling - No FM2R
Exactly.
 European Mobile Calling - Bromptonaut
I'm surprised that local/intra EC calls are included when roaming; I'd expected it just transferred my rights to data and calls to UK numbers as at home while in EU.
 European Mobile Calling - Lygonos
Just back from a cruise - delighted to be able to send texts and use the interweb at no extra cost in Denmark, Germany, Estonia and Sweden.

When we were in Russia it would have been £1.80/min for a call or text and God knows what the Mb charge would have been!
Latest Forum Posts