Non-motoring > The Heatwave Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 108

The Heatwave - Zero
Don't think there has been a thread, not much talk of it either.

Weather forecast here says at least another two weeks to go. During recent building works out back I found where the rainwater soaraway goes, now discovered where the soaraway pit is. A large depression is forming in my garden more or less where the soaraway pipe was headed. I long ago figured my extensive grape vine had found an underground source of water, I now assume its sucked the soaraway dry and its shrinking.

Was due to go to a dog show tomorrow, I worked the dog at a trial last week in 31c of heat and the results were less than impressive, so I'll pass up on my entry fee and give the dog a break.

Glad I haven't gone to Spain yet this year, would be well peed off to have left better weather behind at home. Went to Camber sands this week, swam in the (warm for the UK) sea with the dog, on a near deserted beach.

Stunning day out.
 The Heatwave - R.P.
Soaraway ?

Bought myself one of those Netatmo weather stations in March - first class bit of kit. Added a rain gauge first week in June...we've had 0.3mm of rain in that time..a flat graph is no fun I've found.

After that rain a patch of driveway didn't dry - most odd. Turns out we had a split 20mm supply pipe. Insurance company contacted and also the water company. Welsh Water beat the Insurance company in turning out traced and isolated the leak. Turned up a week later and fixed it free of charge (despite it being on my land and my side of the meter) - they are now sorting out the massive water bill by comparing usage with last year and taking two spot checks on the meter in the next fortnight. Lawn's nice and green though.

MX5 has had the hood down as the default setting. I've started wearing shorts in public - first time since I was 10.
 The Heatwave - Robin O'Reliant
I love it like this, it can last till Christmas if it likes. Shorts for me since the beginning of May and I won't be back in longs probably till November.
 The Heatwave - Zero
seems that autocorrect does not have soak-a-way in its vocabulary
 The Heatwave - R.P.
Thought it was something to do with a soaraway Sun for a minute ! :-)
 The Heatwave - smokie
Phwoar wot a scorcher.
 The Heatwave - Rudedog
Been off for two weeks leave, first week in S-Wales (lovely hot but breezy), second week at home.

Back to work on Monday and the prospect of a horrible very hot stuffy office, not sure about other hospitals but the newish block I'm in never had anykind of proper a/c fitted to feed the wards or offices, the theatres where I am have an air-filtering system but it is not a/c and the temp fluctuates with the outside temp (ideally should be 18-21 oC and 50% humidity).

Maybe they'll lift the ban on electric fans for the reception area and waiting rooms.

The Heatwave - Ateca chris
Is it because its unusual to be dry and sunny for a couple of weeks and that's why we call it a heatwave when other countries call it summer?
 The Heatwave - sooty123
Pretty unusual summer in fairness, I think the other week it said it was the hottest since 76, and the driest since 95. Normal for the med, but the uk at 6 o'clock it was still 29c. That's hot, it should be chucking it down right now!
 The Heatwave - R.P.
@MazdaChris..

It's the more or less ideal temperate climate that we have that is to blame.
 The Heatwave - helicopter
Absolutely scorching at Wimbledon today..even copious water , sun cream , shorts and Panama hat were not enough to keep me cool, kept having to go off court just to find shade....and it cost me over £200 for tickets and parking.

The Heatwave - legacylad
I’d go to Spain in a heartbeat. Summer villa pricing aside, you could dine out after 8:30 when pubs in the Lakes stop serving food, beaches ( non where I live) swimming in the sea until sunset, cheap white Rioja, sitting outside being served at midnight with large vinos at 1/3 UK prices
Probably different south of Barnsley
Roll on late September when I’ve booked my one way ticket
At least it was quiet walking in the Lake District today after noon
 The Heatwave - R.P.
Another scorcher here. Went out into the garden last night to do the bedtime security checks it was so humid that despite the clear sky you could almost feel droplets in the air. Checked the weather station reported 80% humidity - nothing much on the forecast although on the 14th seems to be a 100% chance of rain..
 The Heatwave - Ambo
80 degrees in the bedroom when we retired last night, in spite of closed curtains and open windows during the day.
 The Heatwave - R.P.
Not so bad here as we live in bungalow - biggest problem is the bedroom is east facing we get the sun from when it's rising ! House is well insulated and the kitchen is around 21 degrees all day all night..
 The Heatwave - Runfer D'Hills
Hot on the mountain bike today.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 8 Jul 18 at 18:59
 The Heatwave - Haywain
I've now run out of rainwater, the barrels are empty; the camellias and rhododendron will have to cope with tap-water for the time being.
 The Heatwave - Bobby
I live in Lanarkshire and cant remember the last rain we had! I have even managed to get back on my bike and start commuting to work again which is a bonus.

Have made several trips to Costco over the weeks and bought several cases of their 500ml bottled water. Reckon I have been drinking about 3 litres a day for the last few weeks.

My relatives have a villa in Bulgaria where we go every second year. Usually scorching but my brother is out there just now and has 4 out of 5 days so far with heavy thundery rain.

My neighbour, as usual, scarified his lawn and then put down mosskiller. I do nothing other than run the lawnmower over it. Mind is looking decidedly straw like in places but his is just black!

Washed the car today with the pressure washer and snow foam - still no hosepipe bans here
 The Heatwave - Duncan
>>
>> Have made several trips to Costco over the weeks and bought several cases of their
>> 500ml bottled water.

Why?

What's wrong with the stuff in the tap?
 The Heatwave - Bobby
nothing - just find that I drink more if the bottles are sitting there either in the fridge or behind my desk.
 The Heatwave - R.P.
Our lawn is still ominously green. Water supply pipe has been fixed - maybe it will get a little more like the neighbours' soon.
 The Heatwave - henry k
In spite of a limited amount of watering the clover is not growing in my lawn.
This creates an additional work load for me.
It is an important food and the main back up food for my tortoise.
I now have to hand feed him twice a day to ensure he gets enough food but also enough liquid from his veg and fruit.
If I am not proactive he will come looking for me and risk me accidentally booting him down the garden or treading on hos reminders.
 The Heatwave - Zero

>> What's wrong with the stuff in the tap?

You can't carry the tap around with you.
 The Heatwave - Duncan
>>
>> >> What's wrong with the stuff in the tap?
>>
>> You can't carry the tap around with you.
>>

Well, once the first bottle has been emptied, it can be refilled from the tap.
 The Heatwave - Zero
Where do you go to buy the bottle.
 The Heatwave - Duncan
Haven't you got a train to look at?
 The Heatwave - Zero
>> Haven't you got a train to look at?

No all stopped because of the heat and fire risk.
 The Heatwave - VxFan
>> What's wrong with the stuff in the tap?

Where I live, we're on a private water supply. Sometimes it's not fit enough to flush a toilet with, let alone considering drinking it.
 The Heatwave - VxFan
>> still no hosepipe bans here

We're on a private water supply, and we had the ban imposed last Tuesday.
 The Heatwave - PeterS
The weather seems to have been like this since we came back from Crete in the middle of May! I’m not complaining...it’s been glorious... though for the first time in ages I chose to have the roof of the car up yesterday (31C) as it was just a bit too hot... a nice chilly 18 for 60 miles!

The temperature inside the house has been manageable...very high ceilings help I’m sure. We have some very big south facing windows upstairs and down, but shutters keep the sun out, and having the north facing French windows and some of the upstairs windows open pretty much creates enough air movement to keep the temperature below 24 inside during the day. I’ve been tempted to leave the car parked overnight with the roof down on a few occasions, but despite the daytime temperatures there’s often dew on the grass first thing, so perhaps not a good idea...
I've had problems with my finials. Got so hot one of them fell off.
Ooh Nasty!
It was, took out some roof tiles on the way down and narrowly missed my son's car. You don't want dodgy finials.
 The Heatwave - Robin O'Reliant
So that's half the forum frantically googling "Finial" so they appear to know what they're talking about.
 The Heatwave - Zero
>> So that's half the forum frantically googling "Finial" so they appear to know what they're
>> talking about.

I know all about finials, I had to specify what ones I wanted for my new orangery. Didn't want any but the surveyor explained they are needed as spikes to go up a pigeons ass and stop it crapping on the glass.
>>they are needed as spikes to go up a pigeons ass and...

That is strangely pleasing to know, not that I have any particular problems with pigeons, but of course the very fact that I have finials may have had something to contribute to that state of affairs.

I had always, somewhat embarrassedly, thought that they were there in a vain attempt to convince the casual passer by that my 17 year old house was in fact datable back to medieval times. I never felt truly comfortable with that, although, in fairness, the plaster is about as strong as dried out wattle and daub, so perhaps the builder was intent on including some measures of dishevellment in an attempt at authenticity.

I would quite like to find him to discuss his options re his badly attached finial, and would have some suggestions as to what I'd like him to do with it.
 The Heatwave - sooty123
>> So that's half the forum frantically googling "Finial" so they appear to know what they're
>> talking about.
>>

I had to look it up, but I'm used to that on here ;-)
 The Heatwave - Cliff Pope
>> I've had problems with my finials. Got so hot one of them fell off.
>>

As a matter of interest do you have upward-pointing finials, on the ridge, or downward-pointing, hanging under the barge boards?

I think the latter are more elegant.
Mine are the inelegant variety.
 The Heatwave - R.P.
Faux Georgian ?
Mock Tudor, it's Cheshire, we even have mock Tudor supermarkets.
 The Heatwave - R.P.
:-)...I stopped in one of those supermarkets once on a bike ride...I felt a little sort of unclean..
Someone here, or maybe there, once surmised that it was a sociological experiment, you know, an effort to corral certain types in one place to keep them safely away from the rest of the gene pool. Even if it isn't deliberate, it sort of works. It used to be easier when they had more choice, but then they went and closed BHS and Woolworths and some of them escaped. Whoever it was called it Dr Moreux's Island. ;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 9 Jul 18 at 21:56
 The Heatwave - Zero
>> As a matter of interest do you have upward-pointing finials, on the ridge, or downward-pointing,
>> hanging under the barge boards?

If they are downwards pointing they are not finials, finials need to be pointing up upon an apex. If they point (hang) down they are pendants.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 Jul 18 at 22:54
 The Heatwave - No FM2R
>> If they point (hang) down they are pendants.

And keep picking up the other parts of the building on their grammar and spelling?
 The Heatwave - CGNorwich
I reckon we have a good chance of getting to the finials.

The Heatwave - R.P.
"And keep picking up the other parts of the building on their grammar and spelling?"

....slating them
So you were in Crete too Peter.Where do you stay?

We came back a couple of weeks ago and it has been hotter here than it was out there.

Generally Crete was late 20'sC. It has been well over 30 degrees here in Sussex for the last couple of weeks and as our garden is south facing we have sweltered.....although last year I invested in a fridge specially for keeping beer ,wine and soft drinks cold.SWMBO would insist on filling the main fridge with food.
 The Heatwave - Ambo
Temperatures in London recently have been about the same as in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, which I once knew well, and New York, where I once spent a high-Summer week. For some reason I find the present weather here far more difficult to tolerate. Could this age-related?
 The Heatwave - Zero
>> Temperatures in London recently have been about the same as in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore,
>> which I once knew well, and New York, where I once spent a high-Summer week.
>> For some reason I find the present weather here far more difficult to tolerate. Could
>> this age-related?

I spent a month in Singapore in the early 80's. Outside the conditions were very similar to this, in temperature and humidity. I like heat, but I dont like heat and humidity.

The houses however were much cooler, without aircon, because they were designed that way. Wasnt keen on the chit chats falling on my face from the light fitting tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 Jul 18 at 14:32
 The Heatwave - Ambo
These lizards tend to make a chukking sound after someone has spoken; then, a Malay would say, "You see, the lizard agrees with me!"
 The Heatwave - PeterS
>> So you were in Crete too Peter.Where do you stay?
>>
>> We came back a couple of weeks ago and it has been hotter here than
>> it was out there.
>>
>> Generally Crete was late 20'sC. It has been well over 30 degrees here in Sussex
>> for the last couple of weeks and as our garden is south facing we have
>> sweltered.....although last year I invested in a fridge specially for keeping beer ,wine and soft
>> drinks cold.SWMBO would insist on filling the main fridge with food.
>>

We flew into Chania with BA, and stayed about 20kms away near Platanias. Got back mid May; it was mid/high twenties when we there, and it seems to have been high twenties or more here (Arundel) ever since! A separate drinks fridge is a very wise investment :)
We have been coming to Malame , just to the west of Platanias but far quieter, for almost 20 years now Peter...same apartment with pool and the sea within 20metres.

We love the west of Crete and always hire a car, it is the peace and quiet of the countryside and the mountains, the food and wine, the ouzo and raki and the genuine friendliness of the locals...we will head out there again in September .
 The Heatwave - legacylad
Low cloud and rain here in Settle....feels about 50F and fleece wearing time again. The livestock must be very grateful....a weekend on the Pennine Way beckons. This afternoon a few hills around Nenthead, then Alston >Bellingham Saturday & Sunday.
I won’t need to carry much water, but will take my Katadyn filter just in case. Waterproofs packed and the ground should be softer.
Roll on Spain late September
 The Heatwave - Zero
23c and humid here
 The Heatwave - sooty123
19c and very pleasant here.
 The Heatwave - CGNorwich
Another warm and sunny day here in Nova Scotia. Had been in the mid twenties for the past two weeks
 The Heatwave - Zero
And it gets hotter. 32.6 here yesterday. This little spot of Surrey has now gone two months without any. Spots of rain that is. Ironically the other day I stood in my street watching it rain 250 yards away.
 The Heatwave - CGNorwich
Extraordinarily hot over much of Europe SE Asia and Japan as well as Atlantic Canada. Been a strange year. The Beast from the East but a distant memory.
 The Heatwave - No FM2R
The problem we have at this time of year (mid winter) is the temperature variation.

I think it was last Friday when the low was -4 and the high was 21. Makes it difficult to dress for the day.
 The Heatwave - Lygonos
24ºC yesterday and almost no rain for couple of weeks.

Lawn was looking pretty yellowed in some areas (basically anywhere not in the shade).

Rained heavily for an hour yesterday afternoon.

Lawn looked great this morning after the rain!
 The Heatwave - sooty123
I don't know how hot it was during the day, but it's 30c now. I can't remember when it last rained but it hasn't this month and didn't rain last month either. So I'd guess may, although I'm informed around here is one of the driest in the UK.
 The Heatwave - legacylad
We’ve only had a few hours sun, Sunday evening, in the past several days here on the N Yorks Cumbria border. Saturday AM, over 2,000ft, I was walking in low cloud and mist and got wet feet.
Lots of gardening today as it wasn’t too warm, lawns mowed, weeding and pruning. What heatwave?
 The Heatwave - smokie
I've had 31 days of solar production in excess of 10kWh out of the last 33. That is a by far the longest streak of it's kind over the past few years, though due to a crappy March and April I still haven't reached 2015 levels for the year. Close now though.
 The Heatwave - Bobby
Out in Bulgaria since Sun night.
Has rained every day. Still hot in late 20s but have only managed about an hour in total of sunshine.

The Staropramen sort of makes up for it though.
 The Heatwave - Zero
32 and sunny here in Dubrovnik
 The Heatwave - Bromptonaut
>> 32 and sunny here in Dubrovnik

About the same as Northampton then.....
 The Heatwave - Zero
>> >> 32 and sunny here in Dubrovnik
>>
>> About the same as Northampton then.....

Temperature is where the similarity ends
 The Heatwave - CGNorwich
Have you walked around the walls yet?
 The Heatwave - Zero
Popped in and on and off. Can't believe there was a war going on and the place was being shelled in the 90's
 The Heatwave - sherlock47
He is probably not there long enough - cruise tourism has a bad name in Dubrovnik.
www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/croatia/dubrovnik/articles/dubrovnik-faces-overcrowding-cruise-ship-visitors-/

He stretches his legs in a 40 minute shuffle along the 300m main street, buys an ice-cream, and returns to the airconditioned norovirus incubator.

I prefer to remember it as it was in 1969.

The Heatwave - sooty123
Got in the pool car that had been sat out in the sun, showed 40c on the dash. Obviously not that hot but it did hit 33c.
>> Got in the pool car that had been sat out in the sun, showed 40c
>> on the dash. Obviously not that hot but it did hit 33c.

Mine was 32-33 from getting in on multi storey we use for work, out on open road, 20mins in shade at Sainsburys car park and then all way home.
 The Heatwave - rtj70
When we visited Dubrovnik in Sept 2014 we realised it was better to go into the city walls in the afternoon when a lot of the cruise passengers were leaving.

I've never been into Game of Thrones but they were filming when we were there. Some areas out of bounds at times. But I rounded a corner and saw two people in rags when we first got there and the first thought they were desperate beggars :-) Then we saw the rest of them.

Sometimes you'd have security stopping you take out a camera near the cast when filming. It sort of depended.

Where you staying Zero? We were outside the city itself but nearby. Cast were staying in one of the adjoining hotels and one of the actresses mum's (British) was showing people around the hotel rooms :-)
 The Heatwave - R.P.
Some friends returned from there a couple of weeks ago - somewhere that is/was on my bucket list. They said it was heaving with cruise passengers in the daytime - respite in the evenings though. W
 The Heatwave - sooty123
Don't think we'll have to wait long for some rain. Due to have some thunder storms tomorrow afternoon.
 The Heatwave - Zero
>>Where you staying Zero

On a cruise ship, just leaving port, it's Montenegro tomorrow
 The Heatwave - CGNorwich
You must be getting excited now you are so close to getting to see the old olive tree of Bari.
 The Heatwave - tyrednemotional
>> You must be getting excited now you are so close to getting to see the
>> old olive tree of Bari.
>>

....I really do hope that isn't a euphemism........
 The Heatwave - CGNorwich
>> ....I really do hope that isn't a euphemism........

It’s not often that you get the chance to put your hands on something so incredibly old and gnarled.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Jul 18 at 02:08

>> It’s not often that you get the chance to put your hands on something so
>> incredibly old and gnarled.
>>

....you speak for yourself.......
 The Heatwave - Zero
>> You must be getting excited now you are so close to getting to see the
>> old olive tree of Bari.

I worshipped it from afar, so afar in fact it couldn't be seen
 The Heatwave - rtj70
>> On a cruise ship, just leaving port, it's Montenegro tomorrow

So you're one of the ones spoiling Dubrovnik for the rest of us :-) Enjoy the rest of the trip.
 The Heatwave - sherlock47
>>So you're one of the ones spoiling Dubrovnik for the rest of us <<

Brilliant observation taken from the link I posted above:)

Most ships leave by sunset, but the city is still not ready to sleep. “There should be a limit on the number of hostels - their guests disrupt the neighbourhood, especially with their pub crawls,” says Marc van Bloemen. The pub crawls are generally split into two groups and cover several bars and small clubs in the Old Town. Come midnight, these cheerful sunburnt youngsters have been reduced to a similar state as the cruise passengers - they no longer know where they are.

The Heatwave - No FM2R
When you are on a cruise ship, and you inevitably meet an obnoxious couple, is it then fairly easy to avoid them for the rest of the trip?
 The Heatwave - rtj70
Push them overboard? Plan to delay them getting back on on at Macedonia?

I'd never deal with delays of arrogant travellers on a cruise. Got held up returning to the airport in Greece because they weren't ready. Pickup time known but they thought more of themselves.

Worse was the delay taking off because the airline wanted to leave the military airport early. Some got on the plane a lot later than others. I figured out the delay was due to the AWACS that was due to takeoff.... as soon as it went we were ready. We could and should have gone before it was even taxiing.
 The Heatwave - Lygonos
>>When you are on a cruise ship, and you inevitably meet an obnoxious couple, is it then fairly easy to avoid them for the rest of the trip?

Considering there are 2-8,000 other passengers it's pretty easy.
 The Heatwave - Old Navy
Shut in a hotel with 8,000 residents, horrific thought!
 The Heatwave - Duncan
They won't be all pseudo Jocks, so not that bad.
 The Heatwave - Lygonos
>>They won't be all pseudo Jocks, so not that bad.

The worst are the Essex knobheads who can't help but drop in the 'square footage' of their houses.

Who even knows the square footage of their house?

The Heatwave - Bobby
Wife is really keen on doing a cruise.

However it doesn’t tally up with our recent discussion when we agreed that we may never holiday at a hotel again having had experience of self catering apartments and villas.

I can’t think of many worse ways to holiday that stuck on a boat with thousands of other people.

The Heatwave - martin aston
Just had an "expert" on BBC lunchtime news advising driving with aircon off to reduce the risk if breakdown. I think it was something to do with reducing the load on the engine.

Has a car ever broken down by use of the aircon? Surely not.
 The Heatwave - CGNorwich
My understingh is that if an engine is overheating the extra load on the engine imposed by the AC could exacerbate the situation. Turning offf the AC would help.

You could of course go the whole hog and turn the heater to maximum.
 The Heatwave - Lygonos

Considering these cars are designed to pull up Greek mountains in 45 degrees, a piddling 35 degrees is a mere hiccup.

Slow news day?
 The Heatwave - Rudedog
Not sure if I heard this correctly… apparently where some of the railway lines have started to buckle they have been painting them white to help.

Doesn’t the silver steel reflect more of the solar energy rather than using white paint?

The thing I put in my car window screen is silver not white (not that it seems to change much as the car is still roasting).

Checked at it wasn’t 1st of April.
>> Not sure if I heard this correctly… apparently where some of the railway lines have
>> started to buckle they have been painting them white to help.
>>
>> Doesn’t the silver steel reflect more of the solar energy rather than using white paint?

Zero will be along in a minute with expert view but in meantime I'd guess it's only the contact point of the rail that's shiny. Buckling, or risk of buckling, is a fairly common cause of delay and at least one accident:

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/576d3cffe5274a0da9000090/R112016_160627_Langworth.pdf
 The Heatwave - CGNorwich
Cars do still overheat though, especially older vehicles. A small engined car fully loaded with five people and holiday luggage might well,struggle in queuing traffic at 35C
 The Heatwave - R.P.
Seen quite a few at the roadside (more than usual) with the bonnets open. The bike's fan came on in heavy traffic the other day, blowing hot engine air up over my body (nice one Triumph). I think that the air-con thing may have some merit. Not going to turn it off though.
>> Seen quite a few at the roadside (more than usual) with the bonnets open. The
>> bike's fan came on in heavy traffic the other day, blowing hot engine air up
>> over my body (nice one Triumph). I think that the air-con thing may have some
>> merit. Not going to turn it off though.
>>

....you have aircon on the bike!? :-O

(There's posh!)
 The Heatwave - R.P.
Only works at 15 mph and above....I have a good textile suit with zipped vents, once you're on the move even in the hottest weather you cool down (sweat evaporating)
 The Heatwave - sooty123
Supposed to have thunderstorms by early afternoon, heard a bit of thunder (now in the distance ) and perhaps 15 min rain in total. Looks like it's starting to dry up already. Feels a little fresher but not much.
 The Heatwave - PeterS
We had some thunder and heavyish rain for a short period this afternoon, but it soon stopped and the sky cleared. It is a little cooler this evening though!
 The Heatwave - Rudedog
So I guess you'll be able to see the total lunar eclipse and Mars at opposition clearly? (I think the Aquarids meteor shower is also at it's peak)

After all of the perfectly clear nights we've had down here and the one night something important is happening and it's b***** cloudy after the storms!
 The Heatwave - sooty123
Still the same on a night has it has been for weeks, stuffy and hot, its still 23c.
Hopefully tomorrow night will bring some cooler night time temperatures.
 The Heatwave - henry k
We had some thunder this afternoon followed by two max five minutes attempt at rain.
It just about whetted the patio but other areas were still dry.
I was expecting to not use the hose tonight.
We have not had rain for nearly three months.
35.1C on Thursday at Wisley weather station.
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 27 Jul 18 at 23:47
 The Heatwave - Zero
Gosh there's been a load of old pony spouted on here about cruises

Currently in a korcula bar terrace consuming expresso and beer, the ship a mere spec away across the clear blue sea

It's a comfortable 26 here nice cooling breeze
 The Heatwave - smokie
"Gosh there's been a load of old pony spouted on here about cruises"

... probably by people who've never had the experience. I've done a few in the last 10 years, nothing fancy except one over Christmas with SWMBO and the (grown up) daughters - which turned out to be great fun, but a once off only I suspect.

I've never had a bad experience although now that I have a bit more time on my hands I'm in no rush to go back on one again for a few years, unless a too-good-to-miss opportunity presents itself ( - e.g. last year there was a real bargain on one of the lines where they were relocating the boat for the season, but wasn't widely advertised).
 The Heatwave - sooty123
Much fresher today, around 20c warm bright and breezy.
 The Heatwave - legacylad
I’ve been on 3 cruises and enjoyed them all. Two in my early teens with the parentals, P & O ‘Orcades’ and Shaw Saville ‘Northern Star’ both sailing out of Southampton. My mother hated both cruises, but back in the day she deferred to my father...he was an ex Merchant Navy radio officer during wartime, serving on both Arctic Convoys ( several PQs) then the Battle of the Atlantic. He was in his element and disappeared every day after breakfast, returning early evening, spending time on the bridge, radio office and engine room. Reliving those traumatic years I suppose.
In the early 1990s myself and an ex enjoyed a week on the Song of Norway, a 20K ton vessel operated by Royal Caribbean. A different island every day in the Caribbean, sailing mostly at night. Some of the evening company were awful, been there, done that, how clever am I kind of people. Didn’t detract from visiting lots of interesting places on local transport, smoking reefers, supping ice cold Red Stripe and talking cricket in local bars.
Never been on a ‘proper’ cruise since mind, unless you include Turkish gulets and bareboard yachts around the Clyde and Adriatic with friends
Latest Forum Posts