Non-motoring > Pussun doon... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 38

Pussun doon... - Armel Coussine
Well, it did yesterday afternoon and evening anyway, after days of mere drizzle... cricket weather.

I left my umbrella in the car at the mechanic's, too. Borrowed a sort of switchblade job I found here, large but awkward. My wife who is fairly robust couldn't face the tropical downpour and called me from the tube station 300 yards away so that I could go and give her a lift under the gamp.

Back here, went into the backyard for a much-needed cigarette under the shelter of the balcony and found myself paddling, water 3" deep and rising... so to stop it from running into the house had to find the drain with the outside lights on - hidden behind a pile of chairs and a flower pot - remove its iron grille and firkle around in its mud-filled depths until the water started, hooray, to gurgle out.

So I may have prevented a nasty little flood for the people who actually live here and their extremely paranoid cat. Almost justifies smoking in the house, but herself won't let me.
 Pussun doon... - Zero
Yer we had several (almost) tropical outbursts here, in much more leafy than North Yorkshire, Surrey.

The water level in the road rose over the top of the kerb and washed the contents of the gutter into our drives.
 Pussun doon... - Runfer D'Hills
...yeah but you're not really geared up for "weather" down there are you ?

"Pussen Doon" ? Nah, chist a wee bit dreich......
 Pussun doon... - Zero
Get Te...
 Pussun doon... - Old Navy
>> Get Te...
>>

If you don't have monsoon ditches instead of gutters alongside your roads you don't get tropical rain. They can be dangerous in the dark when you have had a few refreshments !
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 28 Aug 10 at 02:29
 Pussun doon... - R.P.
N Wales nice and sunny again today - just come back from a 40 mile de-bug run on the RT - perfect conditions, not a breath of wind and minimal mimsers.
 Pussun doon... - Pat
Deep in the Fen,it's been raining since 4am and hasn't stopped yet, and it's cold:(

Pat
 Pussun doon... - WillDeBeest
Wet in the Thames Valley but bizarrely warm, so all last night's rain is evaporating back into the air. My usual view (at work) of Heathrow has disappeared into the mist - as has the first day of the final Test.
}:---(
 Pussun doon... - Zero
Aye, its wetty and sweaty.
 Pussun doon... - Dog
I'm getting fed up with the rain down ere,
I pity anyone on their hols and am seriously considering upping stix and escaping to the sun (again!)
sposed to pick up for the weekend, just as well cos I've got peops coming down from Staffs & London (sowf)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Oct 18 at 10:18
 Pussun doon... - MD
Hardly stopped in North Devon for the last three days. Saturday best of it methinks.
 Pussun doon... - Skip
I'm getting fed up with the rain down ere,

Jus to depress you more Dog, i am heading down to Cornwall for a weeks holiday in 15 days time so prepare for another week of non stop rain as we always cop carp weather no matter where or when we go !
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Oct 18 at 10:18
 Pussun doon... - R.P.
Andy,

Don't go to Land's End - tat. St Michael's Mount was cool though.
 Pussun doon... - bathtub tom
I was down Cornwall in early July (remember that long, hot, dry Summer?). It was cool and wet - we thought it was lovely. ;>)
 Pussun doon... - Skip
We love Cornwall, it's somewhere that we never tire of going back to even though we have been going there every year for the last 10 years.
PU i agree about Lands End, it has been turned into something really tacky, Lizzard Point is much nicer. We watched an episode of Coast recently and they showed some really lovely looking places that we had never heard of, so we will give some of them a try this year for a change.
 Pussun doon... - R.P.
I loved the place, nice people as well - lovely place, Skinners Ale...mmm.
 Pussun doon... - Dog
>>We love Cornwall, it's somewhere that we never tire of going back to<<

AndyP ... Was it your goodself who mentioned he/they were going camping in Cornwall,
or ave I got you mixed up with someone else?

Skinners ale is good, so is Tribute and Tinners and HSD etc., etc., etc.
 Pussun doon... - bathtub tom
Ah yes, I remember Tinners and a veggie curry at the Fox & Hounds at Scorrier IIRC.

How could I ever forget.......................
 Pussun doon... - Stuartli
If it was sunny for days on end you lot would be wishing for rain...:-)
Polzeath in 1943 or four when our windows blew out in a retaliatory air raid on Bath after Dresden I think.

I was very small and loved the tractor mowing the field behind our house. My aunt caught me peeing into the road from the wall in front of the house and gave me what for. So then I peed on the floor of the outside bog, little brute that I was.

Everything smelt of new-mown hay and corn and the sun shone every day. There was even ice cream, pink or white?, unknown in Bath. Gigantic June bugs helicoptered past at dusk.

Some tough little boys were sculling round the jetty at Rock but I was afraid of them. Caught little crabs on a huge beach.

Of course that's North Cornwall, now developed I understand.
 Pussun doon... - Pat
Andy

Try and get to Smokey Joe's for a meal at Scorrier.

tinyurl.com/25qcpww

It's a Transport Cafe and tea room, but all the locals eat there on a regular basis which is always a good recommendation.
I can recommend the lamb shanks very highly, and it's licenced too.

Just follow the Public Weighbridge exit off the A30.

And it's still raining here:(

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 27 Aug 10 at 05:56
 Pussun doon... - Dog
>>I remember Tinners and a veggie curry at the Fox & Hounds at Scorrier IIRC<<

Proper Cornish country is Scorrier effendi

>>If it was sunny for days on end you lot would be wishing for rain...:-)<<

Affirmative! we tired of the Sun everyday in Tenerife and when we had a quite bad storm there (once)
I was luving it :)

>>Polzeath in 1943 or four when our windows blew out in a retaliatory air raid on Bath after Dresden I think<<

So you were evacuated to Cornwall during WW2 then, my Brothers (3) were in the shire of Carmarthen,
North Cornwall is still very much un-spoilt IMO, my German lady-friend used to live here ~

tinyurl.com/37gs99u

My bedroom was top left, Margot returned to The Fatherland in 2003,
the last I heard she was dying (double pneumonia) :(

>> So you were evacuated to Cornwall during WW2 then,

Not exactly Perro. We went on holiday there while the windows were fixed, except my father who had to stay in Bath and work.
 Pussun doon... - Dog
>>Not exactly Perro. We went on holiday there while the windows were fixed<<

Ah, I see ... you'll remember the beach then, no doubt ~

tinyurl.com/35ofew9
 Pussun doon... - Zero
>> Polzeath in 1943 or four when our windows blew out in a retaliatory air raid
>> on Bath after Dresden I think.

Bath was raided on 25th 26th April 1942. The so called Baedecker* Raids were in response to a British bombing raid on historic Lübeck.

*Historic British cities were chosen by Hitler from the Baedecker travel guides. Exeter, Bath, Norwich and York were chosen, and after a tit for tat raid by the British on Cologne, Canterbury was bombed.
 Pussun doon... - Dog

Liubice (Lübeck) means lovely ... On 3 May 1945, one of the biggest disasters in naval history happened in the Bay of Lübeck when RAF bombers sank three ships which,
unknown to them, were packed with concentration-camp inmates. About 7,000 people were killed.

:(
>> a British bombing raid on historic Lübeck.

Thanks Zero... odd of me never to have checked that but simply jumped (as people do) to an incorrect conclusion. I must have been four when we went to Cornwall.

Bath wasn't trashed but quite a few buildings were blown up or burned, including the house opposite ours at the bottom end of Catherine Place. The strange thing was that the Admiralty wasn't bombed (on Lansdown).
 Pussun doon... - Skip
AndyP ... Was it your goodself who mentioned he/they were going camping in Cornwall,
or ave I got you mixed up with someone else?

No, that is not me, we are a bit past it for camping these days, i used to love it though.

We are staying in Tintagel this time in a log cabin/lodge thing, so at least it should be weather proof !

At least 'er indoors having a driving licence comes in useful so that i can sample the local brew !
 Pussun doon... - Dog
>>No, that is not me, we are a bit past it for camping these days<<

Ah, so ... He (whoever it was) is/was down here this past week - in a tent :(
Don't forget to visit one of my favorites (Boscastle) unless its raining heavily !!
 Pussun doon... - R.P.
I came down last week but was camping in a terraced house in Pendra Lowthe....
 Pussun doon... - Dog
>>I came down last week but was camping in a terraced house in Pendra Lowthe....<<

Yus! Pendra Loweth, I'll wager y'all took the ferry to St. Mawes and St. Anthony Head on The Roseland?
 Pussun doon... - R.P.
You wager right on St Mawes. Nice trip, nice weather...still unsure about Pendra Lowthe - Had a surreal experience in the bar - took a fancy to a glass of SKinner;s Larger - the bar maid insisted I sampled it before drinking it as "not everyone likes it" I did though !
 Pussun doon... - Dog
I used to drink an ale called Cornish Rebellion, named after the 1497 uprising which ended at Blackheath in S. London.

Sharp's is nice, and Skinners is quite near me in Truro ~

www.carnmenellis.demon.co.uk/html/brewers.htm
 Pussun doon... - BobbyG
Blue Sky in Glasgow..........

One of the features of my Seat Altea is that the windscreen is blue tinted at the top. This has often caught me out, looking upwards and thinking at least there is blue sky over there......
 Pussun doon... - Avant
I must humbly apologise - this rain is all my fault.

As I mentioned in the other weather thread, I don't often polish a car, but I did Autoglym the Z3 last week-end, as it's a year since I did it last. Fortunately it lives in the garage.

I promise I won't do it again unless we have a water shortage: on the rare occasions when I've polished a car, a week of rain has always followed.
 Pussun doon... - rtj70
Selling it soon to pay for a wedding or managing to keep it. Hope you manage to keep and enjoy it.
 Pussun doon... - Avant
Well remembered! No, we both like it too much and we think we can manage to keep it and pay for the wedding! The reception is in the hotel opposite the church so I don't have to offer it to the bride and groom as a getaway car.
Perhaps you will be able to use it as a getaway car if the shotgun bit of the wedding goes wrong Avant... sorry bad taste I know... it'll go beautifully.
 Pussun doon... - Avant
If it's 'pussun doon' hard on the day I'l chauffeur them myself and we'll have some lovely pictures of bride and groom getting into.....the Skoda.
Latest Forum Posts