Non-motoring > A Stranger to the Truth? Legal Questions
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 3

A Stranger to the Truth? - Duncan
My father in law had an expression, "He was a stranger to the truth", which, I think, meant that the bloke couldn't lay straight in bed.

I wonder if you have seen this one, Bromp?

Report of a court case:-

www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2018/1258.html
 A Stranger to the Truth? - Bromptonaut
>> I wonder if you have seen this one, Bromp?
>>
>> Report of a court case:-
>>
>> www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2018/1258.html

It was, inevitably, widely reported on legal websites etc.

I love the mention of (a) a festival of mendacity and (b) Where, as here, each witness is attempting to outdo the other in a rich display of competitive dishonesty the task of the judge is unenviable.

Article in Gazette today links to two other cases where fundamental dishonesty was in play. Both are (motoring link) car accident/whiplash etc cases:

www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/appeal-throws-out-two-claims-where-same-judge-was-too-benevolent/5066249.article

Among other things £400 repair claimed as £1300
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 25 May 18 at 15:02
 A Stranger to the Truth? - Duncan
>>
>> Article in Gazette today links to two other cases where fundamental dishonesty was in play.
>> Both are (motoring link) car accident/whiplash etc cases:
>>
>> www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/appeal-throws-out-two-claims-where-same-judge-was-too-benevolent/5066249.article
>>
>> Among other things £400 repair claimed as £1300
>>

The judge had the same surname (Main) as the QC. Did I read that right?
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 25 May 18 at 15:12
 A Stranger to the Truth? - Bromptonaut
No. Judge appealed against, His Honour Judge Main is a QC, shortened to HHJ Main QC in report.

Counsel in both cases were Paul Sweeney for Claimant (Respondent in these appeals) and Daniel Wood for Defendant (Appellant in these appeals)

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 25 May 18 at 15:34
Latest Forum Posts