Non-motoring > What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 75

What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Duncan
Do you collect Tesco clubcard points and convert them into vouchers?

If so, what do you spend them on? Change them in store for double value, or buy other companies goods and services? Quite complicated!

tinyurl.com/o66tgj
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Pat
I always convert them into Eurotunnel vouchers. £12.50 worth buys me an overnight trip for just £2 if we book the times carefully.

Pat
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Bellboy
if we book the times carefully.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> that would have broken the swear filter on the dark side
;-)

What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Zero
Thorpe park vouchers for my son and friends, Eurotunnel crossings, etc
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - BobbyG
Nothing!!
Was going to swap them for Eurotunnel vouchers if we went at the summer but ended up not going.
So they all all racking up on my shelf, might use them for a hotel break at some point (so I tell the missus anyway) !!
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Tooslow
The in laws have just bought a new tv. I was reluctant to get involved as they ask for advice and then do their own sweet thing. I predicted they'd buy an own brand from a supermarket. I suggested Sony or Panansonic. I checked prices at JL & Comet. They seemed to be similar though you get a 5 year guarantee at JL. So, while they were visiting, we took them to JL. They couldn't even decide what size they wanted. FiL was looking at 32 inch sets, MiL found some 22 inch sets.

They subsequently bought from Tesco. And you know what the major feature was, as reported by MiL? "It came with 400 points". Doh!

JH
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Dave_
Currently trying not to spend more than £30 on a week's food shopping, and not always at Tesco although I do try to go there most weeks. My last points mailing contained £6.00 of vouchers, however the double-up offer has to be completed in multiples of £5 so I swapped £5 for £10 and put it towards school shoes and trousers.
30 quid a week on food?

Blimey, we spend three times that.

Mind there is the odd bottle of wine or beer or three thrown in there.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 10:52
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Mapmaker
Blimey. A friend announced on facebook she had just spent £500 at Ocado for a dinner party - excluding wine.

What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Iffy
...A friend announced on facebook she had just spent £500 at Ocado for a dinner party - excluding wine...

Presumably we are supposed to be impressed.

I think it's rather sad she hasn't the will/skill/regard for her guests to prepare a meal properly for them.

How do you know she is not? that could be the ingredients.
...that could be the ingredients...

Must be big eaters - or a very big dinner party.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Dog
I used to go shopping with me ole mum when I wozza kid,
we didn't really have supermarkets then and she would buy most of her stuff from the market stalls,
I avoid supermkts like the plague and ain't bin in one for about 15 years or more but,
the ole woman (non-Vulcan) reckons she uses her vouchers on groceries (she's from Essex!)
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - smokie
Usually get family RAC membership plus fully or mostly paid winter sun holiday for two (Egypt a few times). The holidays were with Cosmos and you pay full brochure price, which none of the other holidaymakers do, but at 4 times face value it still works out pretty good. Also had a tunnel crossing this year to go to nephews wedding in Belgium.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Harleyman
Recently, cat food. Tesco have this "double your money" voucher offer on at the moment Clubcard, so with the cat food being on offer anyway we took advantage and ended up with double double!

Normally save them for Christmas.

I also have a Nectar card, gained a load of points with it couple of years ago, when I was doing long-distance driving. Trouble is our nearest Sainsburys is in Swansea and we rarely use BP, the two main sources of points, so the card sits there as a "rainy day " reserve.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - BiggerBadderDave
"Recently, cat food."

Doesn't it give you bad breath?
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 20:41
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - R.P.
No but he needs a little tray with gravel in it in the back of his cab....handy..
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Runfer D'Hills
Wonder if he can lick his own.....

Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 20:50
no one else will
"Wonder if he can lick his own....."

Do you think he'd be wasting time on this site if he could?
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Ted

Our nearest big Tesco is in Scroteland...too many swamp-donkeys inhabit it's aisles for me.
We have a big multi-cultural Asda, big West Indian clientele, with some really unusual stuff in stock.
Spend about a ton if we go in but often get then to bring it to us, saving about half that. No impulse buys.
Support local shops where we can, excellent butcher, greengrocer, chemist, etc.
Get petrol at the Shell a couple of hundred yards away.

Don't like supermarkets meself so we try to go early.
Wish we had a Booths nearer than Knutsford. Did some shopping in the Clitheroe branch this week. 5 or 6 different beers at a pound a bottle ! Stocked up...needless to say !

Ted
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - rtj70
Assuming you're referring to the Asda I think you are Ted.... it's the only one I've ever seen with an instore Halal meat counter. In addition to the meat counter of course.

We like Boothes in Windermere. I've been to the one in Knutsford a few times but it's not quite as good in my opinion. But they do try to stock a lot of local stuff so there would be a difference.
"Blimey, we spend three times that."

Yeah so do we. About £100 quid a week. Far more than my mortgage and far more than I spend on my car. That's why I always want to smack heads together when I get such poor service.

One person on the till this morning, yes - one. Not Tesco but still a medium sized supermarket. 9.30am and they still didn't have my wife's gossip magazine on display which comes out every Thursday.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - DP
Legoland passes for the past two years which were fantastic value.

It's all change this year. SWMBO now works for Waitrose, and with a generous discount, we don't shop at Tesco any more. Also, coincidentally, a hefty discount on Tussaud's group passes is part of the benefits package.

Our last Clubcard statement was a pale shadow of former years.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - helicopter

Whats a mortgage Dave ? :0)........

I only use Tescos to buy milk for my office tea...and the occasional fill of Petrol so I do not bother with their clubcard or points system.

SWMBO uses Sainsburys for the weekly shop but also uses the Lidl and Waitrose near to work and also Morrisons on the Fridays when she has her hair done.....

Sainsburys give Nectar points which build up over the year and mean that the Christmas big shop is usually free of charge.

Bill last Saturday was around £116 .

They also gave 5p a litre off petrol on spends over £50 so we got the bill split so we had two 5p off vouchers rather than one.

I filled up and reduced my bill by around £4 and she still has a voucher for the next fill and Nectar Points as well.

At the end of the day frankly I would rather just have things cheaper ......
My weekly spend used to be £80-£100+ when the ex-girlfriend lived with us. She was a terrible label snob and used to create merry hell if I tried buying supermarket own-brand anything. She would also throw away anything within spitting distance of its sell-by date, and could have single-handedly supplied the ingredients for that Waste Chef programme on the telly last night :-)

Now it's just my daughter and I, we don't give a monkey's about brand image but we do care about nutrition and taste. I took the advice of the Money Saving Expert website to try "dropping down" a price level and stay there if the quality was no worse. As a result I would say my shopping trolley now contains 10% proprietary brand / 70% own-brand / 20% "value" groceries, and they taste just as good as before.

£30 a week is about 25% of my household income not including rent/council tax (which is paid by benefit anyway), so I have a pretty good incentive to keep the costs down.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 12:36
"Whats a mortgage Dave ? :0)........"

It's an arrangement I have with a bank that ensures that I lose a pint in sweat every night and eliminates the need for an alarm clock. If you don't have one, you're really missing out!
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Perky Penguin
Dave _td I don't mind trying Own Brand or "value" ranges but one has to wonder. I was in Sainsburys a few days ago and there was a Value S & S sauce for 13p and a Lloyd Grossman one for £1.99; can one really be 15 times better than the other? I think the cheap one is too cheap and the LG is too costly so I go in the middle @99p! I did try a Value Saisburys chicken soup. It was pretty tasteless and study of the label revealed that it has 2% chicken in it, probably beaks and claws!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 14:31
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Dr_Rubber
Day out at Thruxton thrashing around in Aston Martins, Porsches et al.
Big :-)

Joe
>> I don't mind trying Own Brand or "value" ranges

A quick look in my fridge/cupboards reveals Value Lemonade, Fromage Frais, eggs, bacon, coleslaw, baked beans and custard cream biscuits. Pretty much everything else (cornflakes, lemon squash, gravy, cleaning sprays, washing up liquid, fabric conditioner) is own brand, with only washing powder and coffee being big brands. A year of trial and error has found a level I'm comfortable with/can afford. :-)

On the plus side, my old boss has just offered to take me back on part-time until my college course finishes in December and full-time after then. With tax credits, single parent supplements and a back-to-work bonus I should be on nearly as much as the full-timers in a couple of weeks :-D
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 17:31
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Perky Penguin
Well done Dave - I hope things continue to work out for you! PS Aldi/Lidl washing/laundry products are very good. They sell as W7 brand name, or something like that
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - L'escargot
Who's going to admit to shopping at Tesco? Now, if you asked me about Waitrose vouchers ............ !
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Cpt. Flack
We always use them to buy RAC breakdown cover for me and the wife for the year.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Bromptonaut
Best value we had was on Eurotunnel but then SWMBO discovered Ocado!!

Mind you I can't abide the tunnel - ferries are much more civilized.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Bellboy
ferries are much more civilized.
>>>>
>>>>>>>> not at crimbo they arent
i wouldnt have believed how many people they could squeeze on these boats if it wasnt for the case of being on one and spending most of the journey queuing to buy a coffee and not a seat to be had in the hoose
I agree the ferry is nicer but for business trips I always use the tunnel. For family crossings though we tend use the ferries but usually take sandwiches and a flask. The only downside being that if my wife has made the sandwiches is that they are mainly only fit for feeding the seagulls.....Great thick doorsteps of bread with slices of cheese or ham you can see through and of a thickness you could only measure using a micrometer. Oh and rubbish unbranded crisps too. No wonder I smoke, it's the only way of fending off the hunger pangs. I did treat us all to fish and chips on the last crossing we made in the onboard cafe. Nearly melted my credit card.
>>Great thick doorsteps of bread with slices of cheese or ham you can see through and of a thickness you could only measure using a micrometer. Oh and rubbish unbranded crisps too <<

And she's a Sasanach you say, so she must be a Yorkshire lass then if she's as 'careful' as that
(with your £££)
Nothing so obvious I'm afraid Dog. She just doesn't "do" food. An ex-model ( in her youth she did it to fund herself through uni ) she sees most edible produce as sinful and sensible quantities of anything as outrageously too much.
>>Nothing so obvious I'm afraid Dog. She just doesn't "do" food. An ex-model<<

I know exactly what you mean Humph, my sisters daughter is a model/actress + she's a veggie,
(and a bit of a pain really), in the nicest possible way of course, she's 36 years old now and un-married ...
now there's a surprise!
Cheap to run though !
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Crankcase
Not really into food is how I would describe Mrs C too.

I recall sitting down with my in-laws at an early stage for a meal, and we had a beefburger, which was ceremoniously divided into four, as "nobody could possibly eat a whole one".

That set the tone. Not long after we were at a cafe for lunch somewhere, and when the waitress came to take the order mother-in-law said, before anyone else could get a word in, "I don't think anyone can be hungry, so we'll just have four teas please". Sigh.

These days I just eat what I want in the amount I want and they look appalled or amazed at alternate intervals while sharing a small tin of baked beans between four.

What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Bromptonaut
>> I agree the ferry is nicer but for business trips I always use the tunnel.

The only reason to use the Chunnel would be time saved.

I'm starting at Northampton so it's around three hours drive whether to Dover or Cheriton. I've convinced myself it both shorter and faster to Dover to use the M2/A2 rather than the M20; Calais it ain't but the approach to Eastern Docks via Jubilee Way is much better than all along the foreshore then gong round two sides of a triangle via Folkestone.

Then if I do try the tunnel the check in/wait/load process seems far more protracted then for the ferry. OK, the fact that 'lingo+roofbox = over height for the ordinary car shuttles may be a factor but the crawl to load drives me nuts.

And then I have to travel either in the car or stood by it with no shops and only a crappy loo while persuading myself the old Volvo in front is not really leaking petrol.

I'd rather have a decent predictable 90 minute break with a meal and/or chance and space to view the scenery.

Judging by the load factors on DFDS/Norfolkline lots of others think the same.
>> We always use them to buy RAC breakdown cover

That's a sensible use for them. Luckily my dad has bought me AA cover as a present for the last few Christmases :-)
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - spamcan61
RAC cover, english heritage membership and magazine subscriptions.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Badwolf
We took out a Tesco Clubcard credit card last October as they had a 0% interest for 13 months offer. We bunged most of the cost of the wedding on it (which is now nearly paid off, thank Gawd) which means that we got a shedload of vouchers. We've doubled some up and treated ourselves to some new clobber and we've converted some into vouchers for our local Bella Italia. Might treat myself to a Top Gear magazine subscription with the rest, provided Mrs B doesn't catch wind of my plans...
Goldsmiths Jewellers do a "deal" BW - could have bought the rings there at a fraction of the ticket price, or better still treat yourself to a nice Omega Seamaster.
I've always dismissed these schemes as not worth the bother.

From some of the posts on here, seems I might have been a bit hasty in doing that.

If I spent £25 a week with Tesco, would I see any decent benefit in, say, six months?

If you spend £25 per week, every week, you'd currently get 2600 points. That's £26 of vouchers. Often you get extra points by buying something or just using your clubcard.

At one point I was probably getting about 1200 Airmiles every quarter, based on 80 miles for every £2.50 voucher. It's dropped to 60 miles now you get double points.
You get 2 points for each £1 spent with the Tesco clubcard. Each point is worth a penny. So your £25 would earn you 50p to spend in the store. BUT if you have a CLubcard Plus and redeem the points they are worth 4x value. So you'd have £2 to spend on "deals" each week - £52 over 6 months.

May not sound like a lot but as above you can some quite useful stuff and some stuff you may not otherwise have bought (magazines) plus days out and vouchers off meals at certain chains.

Then there are the "bonus" offers which can really be good value, if you can be bothered. Two examples from moneysavingexpert.com

"When you bought any two Johnson's products, you got 100 extra points. The cheapest item was baby powder, at 76p; this meant you could therefore spend £1.52 to get 101 points, worth £4.04 of Clubcard deals vouchers, making more than £2.50 PROFIT! to follow them up (I never have..)."

"With the similar beef in gravy episode, one person bought a few £100s worth, donated it to a homeless shelter and used the points for a return trip for two to New Zealand. "

And there was a classic with wine, discussed here www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2009/07/tesco-wine-offer-proves-a-hit-with-
Thanks for the replies - gives me a good idea about what the scheme might be worth to me.

Seems like I could probably wrack up £50 or so in six months without trying too hard.

I shall try to motivate myself to get a card.

What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - CGNorwich
You would have vouchers totalling 1% of your spend of £650 i.e £7.50

You are right with your original premise. I would gladly pay them double that to avoid going anywhere near their horrible shops.

God made the wicked grocer
For a a mystery and a sign.
That men might shun their awful shops
And go to inns to dine.
>> You would have vouchers totalling 1% of your spend of £650 i.e £7.50

You get 2 points for every pound spent in store (and for fuel etc). So £25 per week over a year is £1300 so you get 2600 points. Every 100 points if £1 of vouchers. So £1300 = £26 in vouchers. You can then get deals with these so some are worth 4 x the voucher amount.
You get 2 points for every pound spent in store

Ah, I see they are running a promotion doubling their points for a while. I remember back in the seventies when Tescos gave green shield stamps they went down this route in competition with other stores. It all ended up in a sort of green stamp hyper-inflation with some stores giving up to 16 fold stamps.

Also £25pw is £1300pa and not £650. Unless you have two week months in Norwich? :-)
Also £25pw is £1300pa and not £650. Unless you have two week months in Norwich? :-)

Indeed it is but if you refer to Ifithelps post you will see he was referring to a 6 month period :-)
Okay you got me ;-)

If you do want to collect Tesco points it's easy to rack up extras too. Use your own bags for one - one of the big jute type bags gets at least 2 points extra.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Skip
I have a Tesco credit card which i use to pay for everything i can throughout the month, then pay it off in full when the statement comes in & every 3 months this earns me £30-40 of Tesco vouchers, ok it's not much but it's something for nothing !
Last edited by: AndyP on Fri 27 Aug 10 at 21:26
...I have a Tesco credit card which i use to pay for everything i can throughout the month, then pay it off in full when the statement comes in & every 3 months this earns me £30-40 of Tesco vouchers...

I've just applied online - and been accepted by the look of it - for a Tesco clubcard credit card.

I shall set about using it a bit when it arrives to see if I get any worthwhile benefit in points or vouchers.

What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - VxFan
>> a Tesco clubcard credit card
>> I shall set about using it a bit when it arrives to see if I get any worthwhile benefit in points or vouchers.

IIRC, for every £4 you get a tesco clubcard point. I've had my Tesco credit card for approx 3 months now and got a few clubcard points awarded for using it.
It used to be a point for every £2 spent. Maybe it's changed?
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - VxFan
>> It used to be a point for every £2 spent. Maybe it's changed?

www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/finance/creditcards/index.jsp

"Collect 1 Clubcard point for every £4 you spend on your Clubcard Credit Card anywhere in the world.
So it has changed ;-) It used to be a point for every £2 spent.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - mikeyb
>> So it has changed ;-) It used to be a point for every £2 spent.
>>

Yes, I have a card from a few years back and it was 1 per £2. My understanding is that if you have an old card (like I do) then you still earn at the rate you applied for, and the 1 per £4 is for new applicants..

Managed to pay for a week in Brittany atthe end of August, and last year it paid for an engagement ring and a villa in SPain for 3 weeks.
You would have vouchers totalling 1% of your spend of £650 i.e £6.50

You are right with your original premise. I would gladly pay them double that to avoid going anywhere near their horrible shops.

God made the wicked grocer
For a a mystery and a sign.
That men might shun their awful shops
And go to inns to dine.
>> Goldsmiths Jewellers do a "deal" BW - could have bought the rings there at a
>> fraction of the ticket price

D'oh! Wish I'd known that in January!

>>, or better still treat yourself to a nice Omega Seamaster.

Now you're talking! I'd love a 'proper' watch. Not that the watch Mrs B bought me last birthday isn't very nice indeed, but there's just something about a nice Omega, Tag Heur or Breitling. The jeweller's on the cruise ship we were on had some lovely watches and let me try a few for size even though I told them I had no intention of buying one. Guess I'd better carry on dreaming...!
"I'd love a 'proper' watch"

Don't really understand the expensive watch thing. A £15 Casio will be as accurate as an Omega.
But it won't be any where near as shiny, nor would it give me half as much pleasure to look at.

In all seriousness though, I don't think I'd ever really buy such a watch even if I could afford it (some hope!). I'd be scared of scratching it or bashing it somehow.
>> >> Jewellers do a "deal" - could have bought the rings there at a fraction of the ticket price

When I found myself with a no-longer-required ring a couple of years ago (originally bought with Clubcard Deals vouchers), I sold it to a jewellery dealer. The price I received was just 7.5% of its new ticket price. I would imagine its new cost price wasn't even as much as the face value of the vouchers, never mind their 4x Deal value.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - oldnotbold
We get Family RAC cover - with five drivers under one roof that's a bargain, and the rest we chop in for Pizza Express vouchers, as we have one close by that is very good.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Duncan
>> We get Family RAC cover - >>

Do you have to send the vouchers off to the RAC? How do you ensure their safe arrival?

Or do you just use ordinary mail?
If it's like the other deals, you manually enter the voucher codes online.
...and Tesco then send you a voucher, IIRC, which you send to the RAC by recorded. Could be wrong, SWMBO handles tricky stuff like that!
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - oldnotbold
Yes - enter voucher codes online, Tesco send a form, which you complete, sign and send to the RAC, who then post you the membership pack.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Dulwich Estate
Bananas !

If I remember correctly, a year or two back there were reports of a student buying bananas by the pallet load from Tesco and then giving them all away in the street outside. He found a way to profit using the points he got.
Just booked 10 days in Malta for me and the missus in Nov on the points. I didn't realise there is now a limit on the amount you can use against a Cosmos holiday - £400 pp - but as holiday was a shade under £900 we paid £100 cash plus £200 worth of points - not too shabby.
 What Do You Do With your Tesco Vouchers? - Dulwich Estate
Here's the banana story:

www.independent.co.uk/news/banana-economics-buy-942lb-of-fruit-give-it-away--and-make-pounds-25-profit-1283219.html
Latest Forum Posts