Non-motoring > Bank Holiday Inspirations ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 63

Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Runfer D'Hills
OK - So it's bank holiday weekend looming. It's probably going to rain. Airports will be even more of a nightmare than usual. The roads will be clogged with caravans and just forget the motorway service areas.

You feel you should "do" something but just know it would be far more sensible to stay put.

Anyone going to chance it ?

I expect we'll just take to the forest with the bikes like we do most weekends.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - BiggerBadderDave
Not all of us fall under the protection of the corporate umbrella.

I will be working this weekend.

As I do every weekend.

Enjoy your biking.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - ....
Let me guess BBD. You do it for the satisfaction nothing else no reward in it for you. You'll get your reward in your afterlife.
I do it so I can sleep at night!
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Zero
>> Not all of us fall under the protection of the corporate umbrella.

Very true

>> I will be working this weekend.

I wont

>> As I do every weekend.

As I dont every weekend, or every day come to that

>> Enjoy your biking.

Enjoy your working.
I always do.
If you've got the option, work next Monday and take the 5th or 12th in lieu.
I'll be working those days too.
Yeah, I remember those days.......Reminds me, must fill in my expenses claim.....

:-)
Moat?
His work is done.
Mods remove if deemed offensive.
We've lojacked your thread Humph

I do apologise. I was on a break.

Please continue...
As BBD says ^^^ mods please remove the garbage...
's alright. I blatantly interfere with other people's threads daily. Could hardly object if someone goes off on a tangent on one of mine. Crack on with pleasure ( if you have time ) I'm off for a swim anyway....have fun. See how far away from topic it can get before I get back......

We'll be back to Golden Earring before you get your feet wet (see Rattle's thread).
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - bathtub tom
I'll be travelling, but not until Saturday afternoon and counting the cars on the hard shoulder. I hope I'll not be one of them some day.

I reckon it's the quietest time to travel all year.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - RattleandSmoke
Its my birthday the over the weekend so I intend to get merry. I might go camping in Wales if I have no jobs and the weather looks ok but I will wait till after Monday.

Just two years till I hit 30 :(.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Armel Coussine
>> Its my birthday the over the weekend

29th I seem to remember Sheikha. First day of carnival this year. Same day as mine and Charlie Parker's. I'll be thirty in --42 years that day.

Congratulations young fruit (if we are spared that is). Heh heh.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - RattleandSmoke
28th so Saturday ;) I was born so late though that it may as well be 29th. It will just be like every weekend really. Got that day in London in a few weeks time too. After that I better stay at home, been traveling far too much lately.

It will seven years since it was my 21st and I went to my first indie club, I was staggered a club would play New Order. Ever since then I have never been out of clubs but grown out of indie clubs now like my guitars to be a bit heavier.

I always hate the bank holiday falling on my birthday though as everything is so busy.
Aha !

ticket.motorsportvision.co.uk/calendar/2010/august/100829-gold-cup-op.aspx
>> Just two years till I hit 30 :(.

you need a woman Ratts.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Pat
After hanging around these forums I've had an urge for a long time now to tinker with an engine again!
The smell of oil lingers in my head, the joy of looking at a nut and picking the right spanner the first time, are both happy memories.

In view of this, I have finally managed to persuade mr pda that we should do some work on the GS1400 ourselves instead of sending it to the local motorbike workshop.
So, last weekend the garage was cleared out, shelves and a workbench installed, and Goodrich hoses, oil and filters and brake fluid obtained ( that is if M&P get the hoses here in time).
So this weekend will see me holding an oily mug and scanning a pristine and virgin copy of a Haynes manual once again:)

I really am looking forward to it and for me, it beats anything else we could do for the Bank holiday weekend.

Will he be going to work on Bertha after the weekend? Who knows?
Or will we be calling recovery to get her to the motorbike workshop, I'll keep you posted!

I'm still sulking because he won't use Castrol R:(

Pat
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Roger.
Is it Bank Holiday? I didn't know that.
Any road oop - we are off to rainy, cool UK in the wee small hours of tomorrow. Looking forward to a bit of coolth - it's been 40C here yesterday and looks as though it will be much the same today.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - DeeW
Saturday is our local carnival. No point in even taking the car near the village!
Monday afternoon I shall probably spend in a queue to get into Lyndhurst, where I have to drop youngest at a friends house in the one way system - oh, joys.
Rest of the weekend will be re-organising the house as elder boy and his girlfriend are finally moving - 6 weeks stay stretched into a very long 20 months. Won't know what to do with all the space.

Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Falkirk Bairn
Bank holiday on Monday!

Banks and Ins Co employees + "Others with an English HQ" but it is Business as Usual for most of Scotland - schools, shops & offices it is "just another Monday"

When I worked it meant 10 minutes off the usual commute to work which was a bonus.
Today it was a trip to the kent coast, Whistable. Traffic was good, parking was only a tad awkward. Glass of wine, a band, half a dozen fresh whistable oysters and some wave surfing for FiFi.

And then tghe weather closed in - spectacular rain, huge waves and the sky collapsing ontot he ground. Spectacular day.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - R.P.
Gardening, some bike tinkering, 5 mile walk with the dog - who must have run about 7 as well as some ad-hoc swimming in the lake, sun's been out since lunchtime but a keen wind that's now abated.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 29 Aug 10 at 20:00
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Ted

Spent most of the day tinkering in the workshop.
Trying to solve a problem with the new point levers on the railway. Came to the conclusion that the cables supplied weren't man enough to send 16V AC to two motors at once so now in the process of re-wiring the lot with automotive stuff reclaimed from an old trailer board. Saddo ? Not really, I was enjoying myself, sat down with soldering iron and meter, CDs of my choice on the phonograph, good filter coffee readily available and no interruptions until a nice lamb cutlet dinner was signalled from the house.

We now have two magnificent tall poles visible through the back window of the garage.
Topped with two fetching silver cones, they now are joined together by the cross wires to support the electrics for the new trams.

Tomorrow, who knows ? Probably see daughter and her boys 'cos they've been away a week at the seaside. handy having a MIL who lives in Pwllheli.
Might treat SWMBO to lunch out if she's good.......credit cards are empty at the moment !

Decorator coming at 8am to start on bedroom........not charging extra, thankfully, just wants to catch up on some jobs in between painting outsides.

Hope you all enjoy your day, whatever you are up to !

Ted
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Bellboy
going up the allotment tomorrow for a few hours
hoping the juicy corn on the cobs are finally worth picking after a few false starts
not interested in going any further,too many idiots on the road think they are james hunt
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Dog
>>not interested in going any further,too many idiots on the road think they are james hunt<<

Ditto :)
"think they are james hunt"

Spaced out budgie breeders who can't afford socks and shoes?
In fairness he was a very nice bloke.
A true hero for me actually, and the reason I got hooked into F1.

In the early 70s when I was a little boy I watched him live on a little b&w tv trying to pull a driver out of a burning car. I never missed a race after that until a few years ago.

And a proper playboy too, exactly what an F1 driver should be and just what the sport lacks at the moment. And what a voice...
...and while I'm at it, the rear wheels on an F1 car should be three times as big as the front ones and it should be covered in cigarette livery. And drivers should have at least one girl under each arm when photographed in the pit lane.

What pansy-rsed times we live in.
and the phrase "the team did a great job this weekend" makes me want to put a gun in my mouth
and they are "birds" not "girlfriends"

jeez
Dave - you are answering your own posts.......Bad habit.
don't interrupt
Who was the last F1 playboy?

Berger? Alesi? Irvine...?
Irvine though he was, but racing driving cads need charm.

He had all the charm of a red barrel party seven can.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Iffy
Bank Holiday inspiration?

Obvious, innit?

Go to your local out of town shopping centre/retail park, wander around like a zombie, and buy something you don't need or even really want.

I agree. F1, is at the end of the day, all about glamour, hard living, and risk. In fact its the only "caddish" sport around. They should all sport dick dastardly moustaches, smoke, gamble, chase girls, drink, and cheat at cards, love, life, and racing.

Just like Graham Hill in fact. I am sure Daemon was adopted, there was no way he came from his fathers loins.
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Fursty Ferret
I've been dragged into work today, so I expect everyone else to be back too. Go on, you lazy slackers... if I don't get the day off, I don't see why anyone else should either. ;-)
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Old Navy
>> I've been dragged into work today, so I expect everyone else to be back too.
>> Go on, you lazy slackers... if I don't get the day off, I don't see
>> why anyone else should either. ;-)
>>
You should try "retired", avoid the shops at weekends, too many people. Avoid bank holidays, same reason. We will have a roam around mid week, much more civilised.
Pah there is "retired" and "retired and miserable" like ON ;)

Work? whats that.

Today it was a wander over Esher common, a swim in black pond for Fifi, and cream tea in claremont gardens cafe.

Henry will know the delights of all that,

Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Bromptonaut
Day spent on stuff around the house. Mostly bike maintenance for next week's trip to the New Forest.

Off to London in a mo for tonight's Prom.
...Off to London in a mo for tonight's Prom...

I don't like retracing my commute on a day off, whatever the reason.

At least you'll not get lost. :)

Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - DeeW
He was indeed ;-)

(in reply to PU's comment)
Last edited by: DeeW on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 15:19
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - bathtub tom
Fitting some of these PITA floating shelves SWMBO wanted in the newly decorated bathroom. Why do the manufacturers assume all walls are square?

Just seen a Lancaster buzz old wartime airfield North of Bedford (Yarlswood detention centre).
Well we didn't make it to Oulton Park. I was the only one who wanted to go so even if I'd got my way it would have been an expensive way of getting moaned at.

No, we ended up at one of our normal mountain biking haunts. Delamere Forest, which is usually great once you get away from the visitor centre area which is usually crowded at weekends with people who walk half a mile out and the same back before stuffing themselves at the cafe.

Today though the whole forest seemed to be infested with Scallys on far too expensive, much too clean mountain bikes wearing way too much lycra and shouting instructions to their offspring far too loudly. So much so that one was moved to wonder if a container of premium bikes and attendant kit has recently gone missing at Liverpool docks.....The ones without bikes were walking line abreast blocking the paths and reluctant to waddle to one side to allow bikes to pass, any gaps between them punctuated by unleashed Pit Bulls which seemed to think diving randomly in front of my wheels was a splendid trick.

So, in order to avoid the throng we took to some of the lesser used trails, not always a brilliant idea at this time of year when the growth is at its fullest and some of tracks are barely discernable. Of course it has been raining this weekend and there were some fairly substantial mud traps. SWMBO took a header over the bars at one point and managed a spectacular flat belly flop dive straight into about six inches of sloppy glutinous mud. My son and I having established that nothing more than her pride was injured didn't laugh uncontrollably at all.......well, much....

As we progressed she began to dry out a bit of course but I'm glad we came home in "her" car. Only managed about 14 miles today. Too many people, but still, a bit of fresh air eh ?

Picnic back at the car to finish and home to mow the lawn.

Work tomorrow :-(
Just washed the CC3.

I used the two bucket method - when the first bucket was empty, I filled a second one.

Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Dog
Yesterday I pressure washed a large run of decking and then painted it with Cuprinol Ducksback in a delicate shade of Harvest Brown,
Today I cleaned the windows, sanded orf 2 of those cheapo benches that they do in Argos and re oiled them, they look like new (from a distance)
The morrow I'm going to cut the grass, clean the outside + glazed roof of the conservatory, trim some of the conifer hedges and, if I get time I might paint the window frame on the garage.

:)
MX5ing all day, went against the traffic flow for most of the day - ended up in wife's relative's place near Bala - roof own all the way there and back, face feels a rather flushed now as a result. Nice day...
...face feels a rather flushed...

Is the screen on an MX5 low relative to the seat height?

In the CC3 I get a slight draught across the top of my head, and a smaller person wouldn't even get that.

I remember riding in a drop top E-type and resting my left hand comfortably on the top of the screen.

No it's not bad actually, should have worn a hat.
...should have worn a hat...

A range of hats is essential for enjoyable open-top motoring.

I put my floppy on for the first time this summer on the way down to the caravan in leafy you-know-where.

Low sun and a bit chilly on Friday evening.

>> I put my floppy on for the first time this summer

Zandra Rhodes or David Shilling ?

C&A - remember them?

Still going in Germany last time I looked. Used to be really good for cheap but usable ski wear. Still have a pair of their salopettes which I sling in the car with an old warm jacket if I'm driving through somewhere cold.
and their home country NL.
...C&A...

I never quite got to the bottom of why they shut in the UK.

They seemed to be doing quite well, but I remember the closure was swift.

>> ...C&A... I never quite got to the bottom of why they shut in the UK.

I seem to remember that like a lot of High St players at the time they were seduced into sale and lease back deals on their properties. Of course British High St rents then spiraled for a few years and I guess the parent company just decided to pull out of the UK as a bad job.
Clemens and August for a bit of QI
 Bank Holiday Inspirations ? - Ted

Coats and 'ats.
The night waqtchman at the Manchester branch was murdered in the early '60s by a burglar.
The DO had a very good idea of who did it but never got him into the dock.

I used to move him on when he was peddling trashy goods on Piccadilly.......must be dead now himself. Whole family were bad !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts