Non-motoring > Shed Wood Preservative Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 27

Shed Wood Preservative - Ambo
My 6'x8' pitch roofed shed hasn't had a coat of preservative since the days of creosote, which I believe is now banned. What cheap, animal safe preservative is now recommended please?
 Shed Wood Preservative - Dutchie
I've used something similar than Creosote in the past called Creote.

Smells like Creosote but not supposed to be as harmful.I did one side on my fence Creote mixed with oil still looks nice and dark after two years..
 Shed Wood Preservative - Zero
Suprised your pitched roof is not covered in roofing felt.
It is.
I think I kinda misread your post, I stupidly thought you wanted to put preservative on your pitched roof.
 Shed Wood Preservative - Runfer D'Hills
Don't worry about it Z, you're not as young as you were, and things can start to get a bit confusing as the years advance apparently. Things that once would have seemed straightforward become just a little more challenging, like, oh I don't know, walking down steps for example...

Just go steady, think about things a bit longer and you should be fine for a while yet.

;-)))
 Shed Wood Preservative - Dog
This is what I wood yews (clear):

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barrettine-Wood-Preserver-Wood-Protective-1L-2-5L-5L-25L-Same-Day-Dispatch/263555072956?hash=item3d5d1b43bc:m:mYDegJsCkzwHJb7FqNF6Xfw
 Shed Wood Preservative - Cliff Pope
You can get real creosote here:

www.creosotesales.co.uk/

I bought a 25 litre drum recently.

The substitute stuff is cleverly spelled creocote.
 Shed Wood Preservative - Pat
>>The substitute stuff is cleverly spelled creocote.<<

And it's useless!

Pat
 Shed Wood Preservative - MD
Quick drying wood stain by Ronseal. Swear by it. Available in many shades.
>> Quick drying wood stain by Ronseal. Swear by it. Available in many shades.
>>

But is it any good as a preservative?
 Shed Wood Preservative - Dutchie
Any preservative has to sink into the wood.

There is some fencing not far from our house.It has been up for over thirty years never been touched with any preservative.It is still standing.Makes you think .
 Shed Wood Preservative - Falkirk Bairn
>>It has been up for over thirty years never been touched with any preservative.
Could be tanalised wood - pressure treated wood when new - resists rotting although colour of would will change over time - coat of wood treatment would restore the look.
Forget relying on modern tanalised timber. Rules have ensured that the treatment does not contain the elements that previously worked. It’s been dumbed down like lots of things.
>>Rules have ensured that the treatment does not contain the elements that previously worked. It's been dumbed down like lots of things.

Thanks to the European Union. It's the same with Nitromors paint and varnish remover etc.
At last you and I share the same feeling about and blame the the EU, fancy trying to keep you alive..
Howl come I can (and have) bought 4 x gallons of hydrochloric acid orf eBay then?
Blame the EU?
I could actually get Sulphuric too - not from the bay though.
Enjoy your cocktails, I'd add a little bit of orange juice (try tropicana - its not from the eu) to take off the initial burn.
 Shed Wood Preservative - Bromptonaut
>> Thanks to the European Union. It's the same with Nitromors paint and varnish remover etc.

You think that if something is proven to be harmful, and not just or even mainly to its users and banned in EU our government wouldn't ban it too? Media pressure alone would see to that.
Where does it stop though. I light my multi-fuel stove every morning, I breath in some of the ash from yesterdays fire when I empty the ash pan.

I use Blackfriars fungicidal wash quite often 'up here'. I use Sikkens high-volatile paints, which smell rather nice. Bleach could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Maybe we should just ban everything, including tobacco, alcohol, and moderators.

:)
 Shed Wood Preservative - smokie
Quite often the general public needs protecting from itself, also from others who would cause it harm, in furtherance of some motive e.g. profit.

And the natural world needs protecting from humanity, though I am not especially a tree hugger.

So why would it stop, within reason?

(btw I had a good friend who was fairly staunchly anti-alcohol, on the basis pretty much of the social issues it raised and the costs to society of consequent illness and poor behaviour. I always felt he had a point)

I think you'll find that the EU are considering making moderators a protected species btw :-)
 Shed Wood Preservative - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I think you'll find that the EU are considering making moderators a protected species btw
>> :-)
>>

......glory be! Maybe the price is worth paying then.....
>> Quite often the general public needs protecting from itself, also from others who would cause
>> it harm,
>>

Potentially harmfull things should be hard to get, so that the undiscerning majority put up with things that don't work very well. But they should be available to those able to root around a bit, like us.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 22 Mar 18 at 11:19
What is a preservative?

If it makes the wet stuff bead up and run off it’s a preservative. Geddit?
>> What is a preservative?
>>

Something that kills wood-rotting bacteria.
Thanks for leads. Cuprinol Ducksback seems to be a suitable water repellent.
Latest Forum Posts