Non-motoring > Getting to Swanage without a car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 54

Getting to Swanage without a car - smokie
For reasons of alcohol intake I need to travel to Swanage in early October without a car. How does anyone do that? Having researched it I don't think it can be done in a reasonable time - from Wokingham. TIA :-)
 Getting to Swanage without a car - Runfer D'Hills
I'd rather not drink than use most forms of public transport. It's all very fine in theory but other people will be using it at the same time and some of them are simply horrible.....

:-)
 Getting to Swanage without a car - rtj70
Train from Bracknell to Claphham Junction and then to Poole. Then a taxi to Swanage?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 20:43
 Getting to Swanage without a car - spamcan61
Train via reading & basingstoke to bournemouth then bus via sandbanks? Sounds a right PITA journey to be honest.
 Getting to Swanage without a car - Zero
I could leave wokingham station at 0900 and be in swanage by 11:45 without using a car.
Train from wokingham to wareham, and bus from there.

The bus runs every six minutes and takes 45 minutes.

If you leave wokingham on the hour there is no change of train.

Its a simple journey really
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 20:51
Pay a driver. Some old retired geezer with time on his hands and a semi-respectable if slightly embarrassing old jap car. Put him up in a Travelodge with WiFi and a tin of Ovaltine, he'll be happy enough bless him. Bound to be one like that near you.......
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 20:55
Yup

YOu even get a wet labrador tongue in the ear as a bonus, Fifi loves company.
 Getting to Swanage without a car - Old Navy
>> YOu even get a wet labrador tongue in the ear as a bonus, Fifi loves
>> company.
>>
Your mobile dog kennel is not even a vaguely respectable Japanese car.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 21:08
Useful info there thanks but I can't find any reference to a direct train on the hour on trainline,.com...?
Serves you right, you should live in Woking, rather than Wokingham.

(I suppose this means I will never make a travel agent?)

Slinks away with a red face
 Getting to Swanage without a car - henry k
I am not a rail user but it looks like Wareham is the nearest active station.

www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/eNRT/May10/timetables/MapTable158.pdf

So Wokingham to Reading to Basingstoke to Wareham 2hours 40 and then a minicab?

Or if a minicab is a no no take the number 40 bus for 35 mins plus waiting time as it probably just left prior to the train arriving.

www.wdbus.co.uk/uploads/40may10.pdf

I will leave you to join up the two services :-)
 Getting to Swanage without a car - DeeW
Looks like leaving from Reading would be better, if you can get there. You would then need to change at Basingstoke for Poole.

Once at Poole catch the ferry to Swanage: www.sandbanksferry.co.uk
 Getting to Swanage without a car - Perky Penguin
This might do it

www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/JourneyDetails.aspx?cacheparam=2

and you can refine your search here

www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Home.aspx

Thanks again all - I especially like PP's transportdirect link
Thanks again all - I especially like PP's transportdirect link
 Getting to Swanage without a car - spamcan61
>> I am not a rail user but it looks like Wareham is the nearest active
>> station.
>>
>> www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/eNRT/May10/timetables/MapTable158.pdf
>>
>> So Wokingham to Reading to Basingstoke to Wareham 2hours 40 and then a minicab?
>>
>>
>>
I did think about suggesting Wareham rather than Bournemouth as the end of the train journey, but I figured ( must admit I haven't checked) that a bus from Bournemouth ( or maybe Poole) to Swanage via Sandbanks would be quicker than Wareham and a bus via Corfe.
 Getting to Swanage without a car - bathtub tom
Is there still a train from Corfe to Swanage?
>> Is there still a train from Corfe to Swanage?
>>
It has recently restarted.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swanage_Railway
www.swanagerailway.co.uk/n-timetable.htm
 Getting to Swanage without a car - No FM2R
Why not drive at leisure and book in cheap accomodation for the night ?
Apologies in advance for the slight thread drift Smokie. I take a different view of things these days. Once upon a time I would have willingly joined in on a drink oriented session at the drop of a hat. Now though, I prefer mostly to abstain. I'm not anti alcohol and still enjoy it occasionally but It came to me some years ago that I had very rarely had a useful conversation while drinking.

More fun ( in my opinion anyway ) can be had listening to the gradually degenerating ramblings of others during the course of an evening as their sense and sensibilities falter in direct relation to the number of drinks consumed.

At such gatherings which relate to work I absolutely will not drink alcohol. The commercial advantages of knowing exactly what you are saying to others and the information to be gathered from alcohol loosened tongues in such circumstances far outweigh any pleasure to be gained from free booze.

Couple that with my innate propensity to laziness and I'd choose to drive without drinking every time.
 Getting to Swanage without a car - Iffy
...listening to the gradually degenerating ramblings of others...

It can lead to fall outs as the sober person looses patience with his drunken companions.

When I'm the sober one, I tend to bail out in good time, before the others deteriorate too far.

Of course, it's probably not a problem for an affable guy such as Humph. :)

Confessions of a frugal Scot....

I mis-spent my youth in Edinburgh where late night pub opening has been a feature for many years.

A favourite ploy was to avoid the pub until about midnight. Maybe go and play squash or something instead and so arrive late in the proceedings, wallet still more or less intact and looking / feeling fresh. Most of the other blokes were by now leathered, beer stained and skint. Most of the girls were also well stocked on the booze front either at their own expense or that of the by now staggering, male population of the bar.

You may have heard the expression "shooting ducks in a barrel" ........

Getting to Swanage without a car - Mapmaker
You should get your ducks in a row and make sure you're shooting fish in that barrel...

;)
Ducks or Fish, we weren't too bothered. Just as long as it had a pulse.....

...Just as long as it had a pulse...

I wouldn't have thought you had so much in common with BBD.

Gosh no, wouldn't claim to be in anything like the same league, it was a very long time ago and was only ever a very amateurish form of debauchery. Insignificant by comparison in fact.

Smokie, I am so sorry ! No more topic quantum leaps on your thread from me I promise....

...Smokie, I am so sorry ! no more quantum topic leaps...

If he stays off the pop and gets his leg over, I'm sure he'll be grateful.

I've now got visions of Zero sitting outside in his car waiting for him to finish.....

...I've now got visions of Zero sitting outside in his car waiting for him to finish...

And BBD hid in the wardrobe with a peephole.

Once again Smokie, I am so sorry ! I'm sure you'll have a lovely time whatever method of travel you choose.

You will let us know how it goes won't you ?

( Enough Iffy ! )

Getting to Swanage without a car - bathtub tom
Humph.

Is SWMBO aware of this, or how did you meet her? ;>)
Sordidly enough, I was her boss.....

Never trust a man with shiny shoes...
Never trust a man with shiny shoes...

...who squeaks when he walks.
I favour suede or nubuck. Shiny shoes remind me too much of when I had to wear a suit and tie, a penance I have managed to avoid these 20 years or more.
 Getting to Swanage without a car - R.P.
The Salvation Army recently became the proud owners of twenty or so assorted ties as well as some shiny shoes - I keep one pair for funerals weddings and Bar Mitzvas 9unlikely to be invited to the latter though)
 Getting to Swanage without a car - BiggerBadderDave
"The Salvation Army"

I was born in a Salvation Army Hostel in Ancoats, Manchester.
Bet you're a whizz with a french horn
 Getting to Swanage without a car - R.P.
OOh er Mrs, the French 'Orn - better than a tambourine of course.
 Getting to Swanage without a car - helicopter
Don't knock the Salvation Army - they picked up and helped sort out the wreckage of my brother when he was in a bad way ..........

As for the government 'care in the community ' policy - dont make me laugh......

Do the Sally Army still tour the pubs on a Saturday selling the War Cry? in the 60's I used to visit some quite rough South London pubs and they would always turn up and get barracked ......but never lost their sense of humour.

Respect.....
 Getting to Swanage without a car - Perky Penguin
Some charities pay quite large fees to commercial organisations to do their fund rasing for them. I like the grass roots appeal of the S A and to be honest I think that if I give them £1 at least 90p of it is going to finish up doing some real good; maybe more, I am only guessing and only expressing my own view.
 Getting to Swanage without a car - Netsur
PU - If you're nice to me I might invite you my son's next year! You'll have to come to Israel though..........
Apols, been to Leeds for a few days with no connection.

It is a blues music weekend which runs from Fri to Sun in all the town centres pubs in Swanage. . I'm going with the same mate that I was away with last weekend at one in Bentham, where we got very wet outside and even wetter inside on the 7.2% ciders - all day drinking starting with one alongside the cooked breakfast. As it was over along period, the bad side effects were less noticeable than over a shorter time, but the overall effect was a much more enjoyable weekend.

We stayed until Monday so we could stay for the Sunday night jam, which was fantastic. However in Sunday I abstained until 9 pm, as even though I didn't feel especially drunk on Sat night, I am in no doubt I'd have lost my licence if I'd been stopped on the way home even on Sunday afternoon.

In the Swanage case, as my mate goes on holiday with his missus on Mon we can't stay until Mon, but neither of us want to drive as it would take the edge of Saturday. Hence the search for alternatives...
>> Apols, been to Leeds for a few days with no connection.

Yes Leeds is a bit backwards.
It has a Harvey Nics
..It has a Harvey Nics...

And it's a long way from Surrey.

>> ..It has a Harvey Nics...
>>
>> And it's a long way from Surrey.

Fortunately. Wouldnt want our house prices diluted.
...Wouldnt want our house prices diluted...

Ooo no, terribly important, house prices.

"My house is worth £300,000 and yours is only worth £150,000, therefore I'm twice as good/clever/successful with women as you are."

"Ooo no, terribly important, house prices"

Quite important if you're about to inherit, not so much if you just want to live in it.
>> ...Wouldnt want our house prices diluted...
>>
>> Ooo no, terribly important, house prices.
>>
>> "My house is worth £300,000 and yours is only worth £150,000, therefore I'm twice as
>> good/clever/successful with women as you are."

Yes correct.
>> Ooo no, terribly important, house prices.

>> "My house is worth £300,000 and yours is only worth £150,000, therefore I'm twice as
>> good/clever/successful with women as you are."

Our house that we sold in December was worth more than the first figure. We downsized to a three bedroom house and got rid of the mortgage. So yes house prices are important. Especially the price differential.
...So yes house prices are important...

Only if you are buying and selling.

The point I was making is many people who are not thinking of doing either seem to have a near obsession with house prices.

It gives me a nice warm feeling that Ifithelps Towers is worth more than I paid for it.

But since it is now paid for, and I have no intention to sell, its value is largely irrelevant.

At some point a lot will sell. If we move overseas we would eventually sell so what it's worth will be important.
Latest Forum Posts