Non-motoring > Mini Beast from the East Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 78

Mini Beast from the East - CGNorwich
God its cold out there! Just got the bins back.

Not many days when I don't venture out but this is one of them. A biting East wind and temperature around 2C with snow flurries

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 17 Mar 18 at 14:01
 Mini Beast from the East - legacylad
Report @9AM from my brother back in W Yorks...Aire Valley.... -5 according to the trip computer when he took his wife to work this morning, and a photo of horizontal driving snow. Not much depth, but cold.
Very windy and cool here on the Costa Blanca. Early morning sun given way to high cloud, temps around 14C but feels colder in the strong breeze. Locals are frozen and staying indoors.
Fortunately ( for us) only one bar has any St Patricks Day themed events.
Unlike Benidorm....where we are off tomorrow leprechaun spotting.
 Mini Beast from the East - Zero
Currently in Buxton, tomorrow in Glossop, you think it's cold down there, you should be up here in the peaks.
 Mini Beast from the East - sooty123
Had snow flurries all day here. Not much sticking though, -1C but with the wind chill it's reporting -9C. I can well believe the wind is around 50mph at the moment.
Best place in cold weather in Buxton is the conservatory in the Pavillion Gardens. Nice and warm in there!

The Old Courthouse Wine and Coffee Bar is good for lunch and light meals. Good selection of wine and Tapas!
 Mini Beast from the East - tyrednemotional
>> Best place in cold weather in Buxton is the........

.....Maldives

;-)
Failing the Maldives Lanzarote is very nice. 22C at the moment apparently. Off there tomorrow morning. :-)
Enjoy CGN... my ex is there at the moment, staying in her parents Wimpey time share at Playa Blanca.
I stayed at the Volcan hotel two years ago with a gf....quite pleasant.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 17 Mar 18 at 14:45
Staying inland at a rural villa near Teguise. Lanzarote has a mixed reaction when you mention it. Some think its awash with drunken Brits, lager, all day breakfasts and the like and Puerto del Carmen is not my cup of tea but the island is fascinating and strangely beautiful, especially the North. Teguise, the old capital has real charm and some great restaurants!
 Mini Beast from the East - MD
>> Enjoy CGN... my ex is there at the moment, staying in her parents Wimpey time
>> share at Playa Blanca.
>> I stayed at the Volcan hotel two years ago with a gf....quite pleasant.
>>
Las Brisas?
 Mini Beast from the East - Bromptonaut
Snow flurries alternating with bright sunshine, temp just above freezing. Gusting NE wind has fallen back on last 20 minutes but forecast says will be with us until 5pm.

Mrs B has been away all week doing PhD research and now at a conference in York. Was going to stay over (has room at Uni) but has had enough of being on her own and wants to come home today, leaving 16:00 ish.

Mulling over whether that's a good idea given forecast for places along M1 is heavy snow showers and freezing temps all evening with wind 40+ until dropping to mid twenties after 18:00.
Or the sun room in our villa @ Moraira...now up to 21C.
Thoroughly recommend this place.... €1400 total for 6 weeks, inc heating, electric, water, WiFi and final clean.
Mind you I’m sure the Maldives are very nice, but you can’t buy a bottle of 2016 Verdejo @ €2.39 in the local Aldi, although the beaches and sea are doubtless much more inviting
How much will it cost after Brexit? ( sorry couldn’t resist)
Just drinking the time away until it’s time for the rugby....
Looking out of front window noticed the door of one of the meter cupboards of house opposite had opened and was bashing back and forth. Nipped out to sort it - she's not at home - and nearly froze to death. Was going to nip up to Sainsbo's for supplies but now reconsidering...
 Mini Beast from the East - Runfer D'Hills
Southerners - Don't go out, you might die.

Northerners - Put your big coat on, it's cold.

Scots - Have a nice weekend, it's a bit fresh out there, but nothing to worry about.

;-)
>Scots - Have a nice weekend, it's a bit fresh out there, but nothing to worry about.

Saw an interview with a Siberian reacher from Oymyakon on TV a few weeks back. She was asked how cold it had to be to close schools out there. The answer was that for grades 1 to 5 it was -52C. No limit for the older ones!

I saw that on the BBC, the cold does all sorts of things that low, things I'd never thought of. For example no one can wear glasses, as soon as you step outside they stick to your skin.
Lanzarote is ok if you like cactus and lava. Only the art and architecture by César Manrique make it interesting
Only the art and architecture by César Manrique make it interesting

Depends on what interests you I guess. Great opportunities for landscape photography, unusual plants, fascinating geology birds spotting is good, interesting history, oood walking local wine is well worth exploring, some fantastic restaurants, tremendous beaches.

No steam trains though so I see your problem
Good mountain biking trails in Lanzarote. Also good road biking opportunities for the "girls" I believe.
;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 17 Mar 18 at 18:19

>> Depends on what interests you I guess. Great opportunities for landscape photography,
Lava

>>unusual plants,

Cactus

>> fascinating geology

Lava

>> tremendous beaches.

Black ground lava

You forgot to mention the blind white crabs tho.
And back to the mini beast. Made it to Glossop from Buxton, tho going across some of the peaks was hairy to say the least, with numerous but short sections of almost complete whiteouts where the strong wind is blowing the new and settled snow off the countryside.

Not sure I i will make it to my dog seminar tomorrow, its only 7 miles away but two of the roads are already closed.
>> And back to the mini beast. Made it to Glossop from Buxton, tho going across
>> some of the peaks was hairy to say the least, with numerous but short sections
>> of almost complete whiteouts where the strong wind is blowing the new and settled snow
>> off the countryside.

Anticipating similar conditions Mrs B stayed put in York. Tomorrow is still snow but with less wind, sunny periods and temperatures the right side of freezing.
Need to leave for Stansted at 05.00 and BBC showing heavy snow in the night. Why can't the **** stuff wait for a few hours.
 Mini Beast from the East - Pat
Neither the AA or the HA traffic maps are showing any problems for your route CG and we had a light covering of snow before midnight but nothing since then.

Have a good holiday.

Pat
Yes no snow em route. Safely ensconced in Stansted airport eating breakfast. Thank you for checking.
I have had the Beemer less than 5 months, and this is the third time it's been subjected to snow, the last two times, serious proper snow

My confidence in its abilities in adverse weather continues to increase in leaps and bounds, it's a grippy sure footed, sweet handling, interesting but with no snappy vices when provoked or bullied, carriage. As I found out today, even the chin spoiler is of a sensible height, just skimming mm off the peaks of blown snow across the road. Ok its no off roader and would ground easily on real terrain, but for the road it's nothing short of fantastic.

#wow #delighted
Having said that, it now sits in a Glossop car park, doing a very good impersonation of an igloo. More snow promised overnight. But if I can get into it, ( it Has an alarming propensity to freeze it's doors shut solid) am confident we can get it moving in n the right direction
 Mini Beast from the East - Robin O'Reliant
>> Having said that, it now sits in a Glossop car park, doing a very good
>> impersonation of an igloo. More snow promised overnight. But if I can get into it,
>> ( it Has an alarming propensity to freeze it's doors shut solid) am confident we
>> can get it moving in n the right direction
>>
I had that on mine. Next time we had similar temperatures I sprayed the rubbers with furniture polish. Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't but the doors did not freeze.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 17 Mar 18 at 20:55
 Mini Beast from the East - devonite
Vaseline is better! - silicone on the paintwork is a nightmare when you need to have it resprayed!!
....I'd still suggest you don't try the Snake Pass tomorrow...... ;-)
Can't, it's shut
.....Ah knows!
Too late now, but for future reference, silicone spray on the door rubbers will help a lot. Short term, lean yer bum on the door and push in inwards first to break the seal before you try to open it. If it does struggle to get going on a steep hill in the snow, use just the tiniest amount of throttle and it'll be fine.

Oh wait, it's not a Merc is it? ;-)
No it's not a Merc, there is no struggle to get going, no pussy footing required

Oh wait, it must be the 6 cylinders and 4 wheel drive, seem to recall you are two short in both departments

Yeah, true enough, it is only a 220 RWD.

Depends how much help you need from the car I guess...

;-)
....good job you're not two short in the third department...... :-O
I never spray anything on my rubbers...
No idea how my 4 WD 6 cyl Barbie mobile goes in the snow. Probably not very well.
Just as well I fly south for several weeks/ months from November until May, only returning for proper beer, fish n chips and a reminder of how bad my arthritic hip is in the UK.
Benidorm tomorrow...an extended lunch with friends and viewing the leprechaun debris of today. Which i totally escaped from.
Where's next LL after benidorm?
So, having made my way t'north, the event is cancelled cos the locals can't make it - Northern types? pffffttt wot a bunch of poncy wimps
>> So, having made my way t'north, the event is cancelled cos the locals can't make
>> it - Northern types? pffffttt wot a bunch of poncy wimps

Did you make it to the event location before it was cancelled?
No still at the Travelodge which is a few miles away from the venue, so more or less there
>> No still at the Travelodge which is a few miles away from the venue, so
>> more or less there
>>

Ah well at least it saved you the last bit of a wasted journey. How's the road from the hotel to the venue?
Not as bad as the peaks I came over yesterday evening
>> So, having made my way t'north, the event is cancelled cos the locals can't make
>> it - Northern types? pffffttt wot a bunch of poncy wimps
>>

You'd think they'd use dog sleds, wouldn't you......
>> >> So, having made my way t'north, the event is cancelled cos the locals can't
>> make
>> >> it - Northern types? pffffttt wot a bunch of poncy wimps
>> >>
>>
>> You'd think they'd use dog sleds, wouldn't you......

You'd have thought so. I was muttering about their timidity for an hour or so, till I tried to get out of Glossop. It was more or less snowed in.

Absolutely the most difficult intense and suspenseful driving I have ever done in 45 years behind the wheel. Took me 2.5 hours to get to a Motorway heading south. Figured east was a no-no, thought going west to M62/M6 was a goer, ended up going more or less south through Buxton then Derby.

phew.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 18 Mar 18 at 14:55
>>Absolutely the most difficult intense and suspenseful driving I have ever done in 45 years behind the wheel.

NfD (Normal for Derbyshire)

>> ended up going
>> more or less south through Buxton then Derby.
>>
>> phew.
>>
>>

I did wonder how you'd fare. Just about every route out has a significant hill within a few miles.
>> >>Absolutely the most difficult intense and suspenseful driving I have ever done in 45 years
>> behind the wheel.

>> NfD (Normal for Derbyshire)

>> I did wonder how you'd fare. Just about every route out has a significant hill
>> within a few miles.

And here is a wee montage of how that journey went

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ4Ku1U_uX8
And here is a wee montage of how that journey went
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ4Ku1U_uX8
>>

Nice, would you have done it in a non four wheel drive car?
I'd have had a crack at it in a FWD car, not a RWD only BMW. You can see by the snaky slidy AA van that even heavy FWD had problems. And that is a perfect example of the BMWs qualities, not that it can haul ass up snowy hills so well, it does it with remarkable stability.

It goes down and round bends with equal aplomb, but the damn thing will not stop. The ABS kicks in far too quickly making it far too coarse and unmodulated. Brakes designed to quickly haul down a large car at supersonic speed on dry tarmac.
>> The ABS kicks in far too quickly making it far too coarse and unmodulated.
>>
...serious questions did you try it with DSC (or whatever BMW call it nowadays) off? (and/or DTC selected)

Turning ESP off made an enormous difference in snow on my Mind so, and my BMW handbook encourages such experimentation in snow.

(Nice to see the X1 coming up the hill towards you ;-) )

>> >> The ABS kicks in far too quickly making it far too coarse and unmodulated.
>> >>
>> ...serious questions did you try it with DSC (or whatever BMW call it nowadays) off?
>> (and/or DTC selected)
>>
>> Turning ESP off made an enormous difference in snow on my Mind so, and my
>> BMW handbook encourages such experimentation in snow.

Yes I did, and the box in manual. There is nothing you can change on ABS tho
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 18 Mar 18 at 20:33
 Mini Beast from the East - R.P.
The ABS on mine is a handicap in the snow - odd that BMW don't allow the sensitivity to change when going into "Traction" mode. You can switch it off on the bikes.
I'd have tackled that if I'd had too.

The Roomster (1.6TDi 90PS), on level ground and with care/anticipation, can be controlled on accelerator and gears alone. Both feet off and in first gear it'll creep at 5mph. Ok on level and it'd probably have been manageable on descent but as you found ABS means zero brakes.
I remember my old Roomie back in 09 got stuck on the slightest incline, it was the Scout version with quite wide wheels.
>> I remember my old Roomie back in 09 got stuck on the slightest incline, it
>> was the Scout version

A not always prepared scout then.
Not really. An armchair Scout. It would have been OK on winter tyres I guess. The CRV that replaced it was great in the snow.
Well, my RWD automatic has been faultlessly getting me and mine about despite the ravages of both Beasts Major and Minor.

I guess the TC systems on modern cars are so good now that a lot of the time they are doing things you don't even notice.

Controversially, having had all configurations of driven wheels over the years, I prefer RWD in slippery conditions. Yes, it can take a bit more patience to get rolling in the first place, but once moving, it feels, to me anyway, much safer and more controllable if the front wheels only have to deal with the steering and stopping, while the back ones get on with the business of forward propulsion.

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 19 Mar 18 at 09:22
 Mini Beast from the East - Dog
>> I prefer RWD in slippery conditions.

I'll see your RWD with my AWD - the ideal really in slippery conditions, as I've found out over the last phew! days.
IF, I lived up there, and IF this happened EVERY winter for a few weeks. I'd buy a set of Winter Tyres.

There I said it.
>> There is nothing you can change on
>> ABS tho
>>

...not directly, no, but since DSC depends on both ABS braking and the wheel sensors that control it, turning it off can/will have a noticeable effect on the ABS characteristics, and may reduce the level of its intervention.
>> ...not directly, no, but since DSC depends on both ABS braking and the wheel sensors
>> that control it, turning it off can/will have a noticeable effect on the ABS characteristics,
>> and may reduce the level of its intervention.

Tried it with DSC on, and DSC off (turning off DSC lights up "Traction" mode) and its just the same in both in snow. (I had lots of opportunities to experiment). In conditions shown in the video, I'd like to turn it off and do "snow wedge" braking, rather than "kiss the snow drift braking"
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 19 Mar 18 at 09:37
>> Tried it with DSC on, and DSC off (turning off DSC lights up "Traction" mode)
>> and its just the same in both in snow.

....if it's like mine, then a short push of the DSC button puts it in DTC (Traction) mode with the appropriate message, but still leaves DSC active.

To inhibit both DSC and DTC, you need to hold the button for a good few seconds (but less than 10), and then you get a "DSC off/deactivated" light/message.

I suspect you may still have had DSC on (but with DTC enabled).
>> To inhibit both DSC and DTC, you need to hold the button for a good
>> few seconds (but less than 10), and then you get a "DSC off/deactivated" light/message.
>>
>> I suspect you may still have had DSC on (but with DTC enabled).

No, on mine one press has to hold the button, about 10 seconds, Even so ABS was still the same. Best mode for snow was TRACTION
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 19 Mar 18 at 10:41
EDIT - Forgot to add, that in that mode, powering up hill you get 4 perfectly matched white rooster tails.
What Zero says. Plenty of opportunities play with it. I was wondering how my last RWD would have coped with this. There was a test years ago X drive vs RWD with Winters. The RWD fared just as well as the Xdrive.
The most important factor in how a car performs in any conditions is how it's driven. No matter which end/s of the car the power goes to or what kind of tyres are fitted. Different transmission arrangements, gizmos and electronic wizardry can help or hinder of course, but ultimately it's down to the driver to manage the situation.
>> The most important factor in how a car performs in any conditions is how ......

....many kerbs there are in the vicinity.

:-P
Nyahh shaddap !
😉
I'm sure he found the kerbs very handy in the snow, kept him on the straight and narrow
 Mini Beast from the East - Pat
Exactly, and every vehicle is different even if they are the same model.

Nothing beats the feeling you get from the seat of your pants and if you know how to respond to that then you're in with a chance.

Pat
Return the 45 min drive back up the coast to our rental in Moraira. On this trip we’ve visited Alicante, Denia, Valencia....lots of walking inland when the weather has been favourable, the locals confirming that it’s been wetter and cooler than most years.
A walk up Montgo, a few walks around the Bernia mountain, up Calpe rock ( again) and doubtless a few more strides out.
You need to visit Altea
 Mini Beast from the East - Bobby
In Mullingar.
No snow last night,woke up this morning and there is about 2-3 inches of lying snow and still coming down.

Hope my flight home this afternoon ain’t affected.
 Mini Beast from the East - DP
It snowed all day yesterday here, but didn't really stick. Woke up this morning to a fairly decent dump of snow though.

We took the dogs over Minley Woods earlier. The snow was slightly more than ankle deep, and came over the top of my walking boots. Our working cocker spaniel pup was having an absolute whale of a time jumping through and rolling in. The cockapoo has the poodle coat, and ended up with balls of ice hanging off her which we had to melt and dry with the hairdryer when we got home. Both of them have been snoring by the radiator ever since.

Our diesel Mini Clubman is absolutely brilliant in snow. Makes up for the M140i which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard :-)
 Mini Beast from the East - Dog
Quite a heavy snowful here today, heavy for Cornwall anyway. The snow has covered just about everything, and it's a complete whiteout. Looks nice though, should have taken one of my cameras with me on the walk!!
 Mini Beast from the East - Duncan
>>
>> We took the dogs over Minley Woods earlier.
>>

Minley Woods. That takes me back. I expect you can guess why!
I was in Altea last Thursday Zero....normally visit once when in this part of the world. Parked on the front, then walked inland to Altea La Vella ( ensalada de Casa @ Hermes bar/restaurant) and a circular route on the flanks of the Bernia mountain.
Returning Tuesday to walk down along the front to Albir and out to the lighthouse, then Thursday to walk from Albir up down up down across the headland through the Park Natural de la Serra Gelada to the cross overlooking Benidorm, which I have done in both directions previously.
Decent maps available....Marina Alta Serra de Bernia & Marina Baixa Serra D’ Aitana (terra Ferma maps 1:20k)
Happy trails amigo...
Nice And sunny here in Lanzarote, Aboutt 22C when we arrived. The jaccuzi on the terrace is very nice. Must get some more of the local wine tomorrow..

Stay warm everyone :-)
Mainly all gone now. It proved to be nothing of note around here. We're well drilled in being snowed in this winter.
Latest Forum Posts