Non-motoring > Home CCTV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 40

Home CCTV - Bobby
Neighbour three doors down had their car stolen yesterday evening. Some scroat sneaked in to their kitchen and took the keys to their Nissan Juke and drove away. The local Facebook page has regular mentions of folk waking in middle of night with people trying door handles etc.

I would like to install a discreet CCTV camera (or two) at front of house. In an ideal world this would be

wireless
motion sensitive (and fully adjustable)
recordable somewhere
able to be viewed on my phone

I do have an outside light that is mains powered but other than that I dont want to start drilling for wires, cables etc. I have installed a few wired Swann CCTV systems at work where cables are thrown above suspended ceilings to hard disk recorders but that really sin't an easy option here without a lot of upheaval.

Any suggestions? (am also aware of Maplins predicament just now so may be bargains to be had if I know what I am looking for)

Home CCTV - No FM2R
You need to decide what the Camera is for;

Evidence and use by the police - Then go and ask the police what they recommend and could use in court or that might help with their enquiries. You may be depressed.

Deterrence - Put any old crap up, just so it looks sophisticated and real.

You need to decide what you are trying to record in what environment;

- In the dark
- Faces
- Number plates
- Voices

*THEN* you can decide what you need to buy.
 Home CCTV - Bobby
I would basically just be looking to record faces that were at my front door. Not looking for it to cover the street , maybe cover the driveway which is 3 car lengths.

Just browsing through Maplins site and the Arlo pro 1 looks like it may do what I am looking for.
 Home CCTV - rtj70
>> Just browsing through Maplins site and the Arlo pro 1 looks like it may do what I am looking for.

Just don't buy it from Maplins for obvious reasons.
 Home CCTV - CGNorwich
There are number of privacy issues that you need to take into account especially if your camera is pointing at a public space like a pavement. Some guidance here.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 14 Mar 18 at 17:30
 Home CCTV - Bromptonaut
Here's what the information Commissioner says:

ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv-on-your-property/

As far as i can tell that's UK wide but as Bobby is in Scotland he should check whether different north of the border.
 Home CCTV - TheManWithNoName
I think you'd be better off buying a dummy camera to act as a deterrent rather than to record footage of an event.

Most video film is grainy and bad quality. Thieves know how to avoid getting their face recorded by wearing a hat or hoodie and not looking up at the camera. Night time footage will be monochrome so hard to identify a thief and the colours of any clothing.

Lets face it, how many times have you seen the photo's of people shown on TV police wish to question and all you can see is a hooded grey blob?

Home CCTV - movilogo
1. wireless
2. motion sensitive (and fully adjustable)
3. recordable somewhere
4. able to be viewed on my phone

Even a very cheap IP camera can satisfy 1, 3 & 4. Some will do 2 as well.

For outdoor, you will need a weatherproof camera. Alternatively you can keep inside which can see outside via window. Check whether it can see thru windows in the dark.

Home CCTV - sherlock47
>> Alternatively you can keep inside which can see outside via window. Check whether it can see thru windows in the dark.<<<

Useless at night if they rely on IR illumination from LEDs around the camera Lens. The window glass reflects the light (IR) and effectively blinds the camera.
 Home CCTV - Manatee
Depends whether you need evidence. A friend had (still has) problems with her neighbour who is an oaf and a bully. It all started when he did some alterations and refused a party wall agreement.

Deliberately blocks her drive and then moans when she asks him to move his car, plays loud music at all hours, and was even seen encouraging his 3 year old daughter to go and hit the "nasty woman's" car. Shouts abuse at her when she is out walking her dog. Has in the past been in her garden and done damage.

Police were sympathetic but said she needed evidence. Cameras provided it. He hasn't been prosecuted but it has made him more respectful of her property.

Part of the problem was that she felt vulnerable - now much less so.
 Home CCTV - Fenlander
>>>I think you'd be better off buying a dummy camera to act as a deterrent rather than to record footage of an event.

I'd agree with this. You have to think who will monitor and be alerted to activity seen on the camera. They are often high up and there are so many useless grainy images of the top of a grey hoodie.

TBH the recording is of little use as it's an after the event thing that didn't stop them getting in and getting your stuff.

Put all the effort into deterrent and prevention.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 27 Mar 18 at 19:04
 Home CCTV - Zero

>>
>> I would like to install a discreet CCTV camera (or two) at front of house.
>

discrete is useless. You want a "Ruddy hell look at that really obvious CCTV camera" camera.

You can't stop breakins and burglaries. You can however move them next door.
 Home CCTV - Duncan
Associated thoughts on home CCTV:-

Earlier this evening I saw a 'Ring' doorbell ad on TV. This sends a CCTV to your phone - if I understand things correctly.

Would something like one of these make sense? As part of the solution, perhaps?

tinyurl.com/y72mem2z
 Home CCTV - Bobby
Think that only works when someone presses button.
They advertise that you can answer the door and the caller won’t know if you’re in the house or a thousand miles away.
I think any decent burglar will recognise these doorbells and will very easily be able to work out if anyone is home.
 Home CCTV - Clk Sec
>> I think any decent burglar will recognise these doorbells and will very easily be able
>> to work out if anyone is home.

Or, more likely, they'll move on and try their luck elsewhere.
 Home CCTV - Zero
>> Think that only works when someone presses button.

And you need to find your smart phone when someone rings the bell, then unlock it, then launch the app.

Not very convenient. By the time you find out whats going on the Amazon man has thrown your breakable package over next doors fence
 Home CCTV - Dulwich Estate II
"There are number of privacy issues that you need to take into account especially if your camera is pointing at a public space like a pavement. "

I'm not trying to be awkward - I just don't understand.

I can stand in a public area, on a footpath or road for example, and I can completely legally take photographs of anything I want. I can peer into bedrooms with a telephoto lens if it takes my fancy.

So why not with a CCTV system ? Curious.
 Home CCTV - sooty123
> I can stand in a public area, on a footpath or road for example, and
>> I can completely legally take photographs of anything I want. I can peer into bedrooms
>> with a telephoto lens if it takes my fancy.

Is that true, surely there's some expectation of privacy and some law to back that ?
 Home CCTV - Zero

>> Is that true, surely there's some expectation of privacy and some law to back that
>> ?

Not really, on foot in a public place with a camera nearly everything is fair game, unless some intent can be proved, ie like indecent behaviour, threatening behaviour or stalking for example.
 Home CCTV - sooty123
> Not really, on foot in a public place with a camera nearly everything is fair
>> game, unless some intent can be proved, ie like indecent behaviour, threatening behaviour or stalking
>> for example.
>>

I don't know much about the law regarding this but in the above example, i think anyone would struggle to explain why they were taking pictures of the inside of someone's bedroom?
 Home CCTV - Zero

>> I don't know much about the law regarding this but in the above example, i
>> think anyone would struggle to explain why they were taking pictures of the inside of
>> someone's bedroom?

As I said, it very much depends on intent. If you were walking down the road with your camera gear to go film trains or birds etc, and you passed a house where some housewife was getting her kit off in a lit bedroom window, a quick photo wont get you in trouble, linger outside peoples houses at night with a camera and no other explanation, will get you into trouble.
 Home CCTV - sooty123
>> As I said, it very much depends on intent. If you were walking down the
>> road with your camera gear to go film trains or birds etc, and you passed
>> a house where some housewife was getting her kit off in a lit bedroom window,
>> a quick photo wont get you in trouble,

Got your excuses all sorted I see. ;-)
 Home CCTV - Bromptonaut
I'm pretty sure a telephoto lens through a bedroom window, depending on what's going on within, could engage the law on voyeurism. Whether deliberate (as opposed to incidental) filming of someone else's comings and goings on their own land is more involved.

Issue with CCTV isn't about the filming itself but right of access to the recorded material per Data Protection Act. The ICO website is a useful primer:

ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/

There are exemptions for domestic CCTV but not if you're filming neighbour's property or public highway.

Last summer one of our neighbours had his Audi TT nicked off his driveway. Family further round the close, who like us have been here since houses were new, were then prompted to upgrade their alarm and fit an array of CCTV cameras on their gable ends. One of them covers front of my house which is opposite and the street in between. He checked with us first and subsequently showed us how the installation works. No issue from me, or so far as I'm aware anyone else affected, but he's had to register with ICO. Notice is given by placards attached to lamposts by the alarm contractor giving his surname and house number together with a contact mobile number.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 18 Mar 18 at 16:13
 Home CCTV - sooty123
No issue from me, or so far as I'm aware anyone else affected, but
>> he's had to register with ICO. Notice is given by placards attached to lamposts by
>> the alarm contractor giving his surname and house number together with a contact mobile number.
>>

I wonder how many bother registering when they've got cctv looking at someone's house?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 18 Mar 18 at 17:50
 Home CCTV - Bromptonaut
>> I wonder how many bother registering when they've got cctv looking at someone's house?

I'm sure they don't. Following the Audi being stolen neighbour who's next door but offset behind pointed out that my rear gable had a commanding view of the approach to the cul de sac. That led me to read up on subject and be aware of pitfalls.

A reputable alarm etc company will point out regulatory issues as they did for Chap over the road.
 Home CCTV - Clk Sec
>> And you need to find your smart phone when someone rings the bell, then unlock
>> it, then launch the app.
>>
>> Not very convenient. By the time you find out whats going on the Amazon man
>> has thrown your breakable package over next doors fence

Good point. I've just shown the above to Mrs CS, as she's interested in buying one.
 Home CCTV - Duncan
>> >> Think that only works when someone presses button.
>>
>>
>> And you need to find your smart phone when someone rings the bell, then unlock
>> it, then launch the app.
>>
>> Not very convenient. By the time you find out whats going on the Amazon man
>> has thrown your breakable package over next doors fence

Normally if you were at home, you would hear the bell ring and either answer it, or let the JWs talk to themselves.

Only if you were out, would you have to open your phone.

Any road up, it were just a thought. Would the cheaper jobs in the Amazon link do the same thing?
 Home CCTV - Bobby
Thoughts on this as a cheap starter?

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192442901445
 Home CCTV - Duncan
Is it too cheap to be any good?
 Home CCTV - rtj70
Either do it properly, not at all or use dummy camera IMO.

Have you decided what you hope it will be useful for? I've not read the thread recently - is it so you could use as evidence or is it still a deterrent?
 Home CCTV - Bobby
Both
 Home CCTV - rtj70
If useful for evidence, what do the Police there recommend is the standard that can be used for evidence in court?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 20 Mar 18 at 20:44
 Home CCTV - Bobby
You honestly think there is any chance of finding a copper never mind getting one to give you this information?
 Home CCTV - Bromptonaut
>> You honestly think there is any chance of finding a copper never mind getting one
>> to give you this information?

Appreciate difficulty of finding one when needed but it shouldn't be too difficult to find out what is needed for CCTV recordings to meet evidential standards - or at least where pitfalls are.
 Home CCTV - Bobby
Going by the grainy photos I see the police posting on social media with “do you recognise this man” type headings, I think the answer will be that there is no minimum requirement.

I have Swann cameras in my shops. Some give great images and stills, done are easily affected with daylight coming through the window etc.

The one I posted above is only 2mp which seems pretty pathetic by modern standards but not sure if it’s the same relevance as say the mp on a phone camera?
 Home CCTV - No FM2R
www.essex.police.uk/getmedia/7e14216a-b0ae-4b68-941c-f7a7d0d05c44/cctv_requirements.pdf

Home CCTV - rtj70
>> not sure if it’s the same relevance as say the mp on a phone camera?

Compared to a 2MP camera phone sensor say 10 years ago..... It will be poor.

Use some common sense on this project. Cheap cameras will have poor sensors.
 Home CCTV - rtj70
I never suggested asking a PC on their beat - they'd not know the answer. But if you want a system that could be used as evidence you need an answer to that question.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 20 Mar 18 at 22:18
 Home CCTV - Dutchie
I have looked at CCTV systems.

Anything decent with good pictures day and night for 4 camaras and anything what goes with it about 1500 pounds which I found a bit steep.

But I suppose worth it for peace of mind.We have a burglar alarm open garden and good neighbours.Keeping a eye out for each other is maybe the best CCTV.
 Home CCTV - Falkirk Bairn
Friend of a friend took inexpensive measures

He fitted deadlocks on all rooms downstairs that lead off the hallway. Takes seconds to turn the 5 doors - if someone breaks in they are in 1 room only.

Couple of local robberies were opportunist - unlocked door/open window.........an expensive CCTV system does not stop someone entering.

Checking doors & windows takes seconds whether going to bed or going out.
 Home CCTV - Dutchie
Good points Falkirk.Reinforced steel doors and a sawn off shotgun wouldn't go amiss either.

Maybe the yanks have a point defending your home.But a uzi no.
Latest Forum Posts