Non-motoring > RIP threads becoming tiresome ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 48

RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - sherlock47
or are they just a sign of the ever increasing age of the forum members?

there are currently 3 showing sequentially on Page 1.

Why not have have Forum section deadicated to just this?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Wed 14 Mar 18 at 12:30
!
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Robin O'Reliant
RIP to the RIP threads?
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Manatee
You must tire easily.

It's random of corpse. If you chuck a handful of e.g. peanuts on the floor they don't all land evenly spaced, sometimes you will find three clustered together.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - commerdriver
Partly it's the fact that all 3 of the individuals referred to are/were real greats in their fields before all the recent media "celebrities" were anything.
How many of those who are famous now in any of the same fields will be remembered / still famous 10 years from now never mind 40 or 50 years from now.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - TheManWithNoName
There does seems to be a contest as to who can fire off a post first when someone karks it and then the subsequent posts usually end up being jokes and and puns based around the individual wot died.

Can we spice it up and make suggestions as to who is most likely to go next?

My money's on Sean Connery.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - VxFan
>> My money's on Sean Connery.

Mine's on Michael Caine, but not a lot of people know that.

=============

Regarding the OPs question, us mods had a discussion a while back about it and basically said no for some of the following reasons.

If it's in an obituary related thread then half the time no one is going to change the subject header, reply to the 1st post, etc, despite the request to do so at the start of the thread.

And if no one 'famous' dies for say 3 months or more, the thread then has to be found again to add to it. I can't see some of you bothering to search for it and will just start a new thread.

Which to cut a long story short, just creates work for me and the other two.

It's just unfortunate that several people have died in the past few days. Just like buses or the police, it's either nothing or 3 all turn up at once.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 14 Mar 18 at 12:58
I may tire easily, but for every RIP thread here I have seen the Obit in full before it has appeared on here.

As somebody else has said the thread then mostly consists of poor quality joke material, although there is odd gem like " I once stood next to him in the urinals at Cambridge". I suppose it was somebody having their 15 minutes of fame, but hang on, he was not yet famous at the time.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - commerdriver
>> Can we spice it up and make suggestions as to who is most likely to
>> go next?
>>
>> My money's on Sean Connery.
>>
The answer is Jim Bowen www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43403178

RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Zero
>
>> The answer is Jim Bowen www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43403178

The story of the unaired bullseye episode..

(beware some of the language is a bit earthy)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N84zsnkv6_Q
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - legacylad
Several years ago, when our village pub ‘early doors’ drinking ensemble was at full strength, we had a ‘ ghoul pool’.
Twenty or so of us, drifting in and out of the pub between 5 & 8 pm after work, each contributed £2 per week. Over a pint or so, we each contributed two names of folks we thought most likely to croak...exceptions were the Queen or anybody with a serious existing medical condition.
The names were put into a hat, and each ‘ member’ drew out two names. If one of the names died, then that member won the pot. We even had “one of us”! A new name was then contributed.
Some quite large sums of money were up for grabs....and if your celebrity ‘won’ it was happy days.
I exported this game to my USA friends.....the teaching staff in my friends school have, I am told, recently adapted it to a ‘perv pool’ for those who might next accuse Weinstein of assault.

Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 14 Mar 18 at 14:04
>> The names were put into a hat, and each ‘ member’ drew out two names.
>> If one of the names died, then that member won the pot. We even had
>> “one of us”! A new name was then contributed.
>> Some quite large sums of money were up for grabs....and if your celebrity ‘won’ it
>> was happy days.

Sounds like a sort of spiced-up tontine.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - BiggerBadderDave
Parkinson next, I hope.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Wed 14 Mar 18 at 15:57
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Dog
Burk Reynolds:

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5497915/Burt-Reynolds-82-swaps-stunts-walking-stick.html
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - CGNorwich
The latest rankings.

m.ranker.com/list/celebrity-death-pool-2018-v1/celebrity-lists
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Dutchie
The man from Barnsley making his money now with funeral advertisements on afternoon telly.

A more interesting thread would be who we would like to go next.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - hjd
There's already a death list - and the forum votes for next victim..
deathlist.net/?y=2009
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Pat
Surely RIP in the thread title indicates clearly what the thread is about? Just scroll on past and ignore it.

Pat
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - movilogo
I admit other than Stephen Hawking, none of the other RIP people here I was even aware of their names.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - helicopter
You never heard of Doddy...

I don't believe you.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Bromptonaut
>> You never heard of Doddy...
>>
>> I don't believe you.

I do bearing in mind the Movi has openly stated himself to be an immigrant from the Indian sub-continent and he' also probably significantly younger than average here.

Worked for some time with an Australian who was in his twenties c2002. He didn't know Cilla Black was famous before blind date........
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - sooty123
I'd agree a lot of the RIP are about people that to me are pretty obscure. I recognise the last few people that have died and have threads on here, but by and large, say 80-90%, I've never heard of them.
>> I'd agree a lot of the RIP are about people that to me are pretty
>> obscure. I recognise the last few people that have died and have threads on here,
>> but by and large, say 80-90%, I've never heard of them.

Are you a High Court judge?
> Are you a High Court judge?
>>

No, I know who gazza is ;-)
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - tyrednemotional
>>
>> No, I know who gazza is ;-)
>>

.....which is more than he does, much of the time.....

>> Are you a High Court judge?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_beat_combo
I thought the judge who asked if Gazza was an opera was harshly ridiculed, given it is, more or less. That was a real one, I don't think the popular beat combo has ever been pinned down.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Duncan

>> Are you a High Court judge?
>>

The High Court judge might well ask, say, who are The Beatles?

He probably means in the context of this court case. To me, that seems a perfectly reasonable thing to say.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Bromptonaut
>> He probably means in the context of this court case. To me, that seems a
>> perfectly reasonable thing to say.

Spot on. Much more recently a judge got a lot of stick for asking 'what is a computer' but in context of issues at stake in that case it wasn't as simple as a box of tricks any of us can buy from Currys.
> He probably means in the context of this court case. To me, that seems a
>> perfectly reasonable thing to say.
>>

Which court case are you talking of?
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Duncan

>> Which court case are you talking of?
>>

The hypothetical court case where someone made a reference to The Beatles.
The hypothetical court case where someone made a reference to The Beatles.
>>

I'm obviously being a bit slow but why would it make sense to ask that question?
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - No FM2R
A judge has to make sure the jury understand everything. He may ask a question himself, even though he already knows the answer, in order to ensure that they all know and are clear.

Though in this instance the story is at best apocryphal.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Cliff Pope
I just find it mildly irritating that the initials RIP have been hijacked by the ignorant and just become a synonym for "Sorry you've gone".

As some people realise, RIP stands for Requiescat in Pace, which is a prayer to help the soul of the departed on its passage through purgatory to, it is hoped, its eventual resting place in heaven.
Only Roman Catholics and high church believe in purgatory, but to protestants and non-conformists the idea that the prayers of those on earth can intercede for a soul is anathema. There was a Reformation part of whose purpose was to iradicate false beliefs like that.

And of course to the majority who don't believe in God, let alone souls, the whole thing is tosh.
Of course we want to remember dearly loved friends, and show respect, and perhaps show sympathy and comfort to the bereaved, but that's no reason to pinch someone else's religious trappings to do so.

I don't really mean all that, just thought I'd point it out :)
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - rtj70
For most people, R.I.P. stands for Rest in Peace. Which is the English translation of the Latin Requiescat in Pace. So why is it irritating that we use RIP for Rest in Peace? I don't think you need to be religious to say 'rest in peace' do you?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 14 Mar 18 at 23:05
RIP hasnow effectively two meanings. The first being that laid down in Roman Catholic doctrine and the second the now more used colloquial meaning used by the non religious.

It would be inappropriate to use the phrase when speaking of the death of someone with Protestant beliefs. If you see those letters on a tombstone it is almost certainly a Catholic grave.
>> RIP hasnow effectively two meanings.

What two meanings? Rest in Peace and Requiescat in Pace? Because both are the same.
Yes the words are the same but context is everything. When a Roman Catholic priest performs the Tridentine Mass and utters those words his words carry a meaning that is not implied when most of us use the phrase in everyday speech.

Same words - different meaning.
But for non-Catholics what is the problem? There's no harm surely.

People who are not Catholic also use 'Rest in Peace'. Is it copyrighted or something?

And as you say the Catholic priest uses the words not RIP. So this is a non issue.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 15 Mar 18 at 01:01
I didn't say it was an issue. Just trying to answer your question as to how something can have two different meanings.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> People who are not Catholic also use 'Rest in Peace'. Is it copyrighted or something?
>>

But unless you believe in the existence of a human soul after death, and that your prayer or hope can assist it's passage to heaven, or state of peace, then it is a meaningless expression. What is there to "rest in peace" ?
It is also disrespectful to those of low-church religious leanings, who actively do not believe in the catholic doctrine, and to atheists, perhaps such as Stephen Hawking for example.

I wouldn't myself mind if you wanted to pray for my soul, but I might feel a bit miffed that you didn't ask me.

Also you are confusing Roman Catholics with catholics generally, such as many in the Church of England.
A debate on the existence or otherwise of the immortal soul and the effect of prayers on souls in purgatory makes a nice change from Brexit doesn’t it?

I fear the results will be about the same though. ;-)
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - tyrednemotional

>> A debate on the existence or otherwise of the immortal soul and the effect of
>> prayers on souls in purgatory makes a nice change from Brexit doesn’t it?
>>
>> I fear the results will be about the same though. ;-)
>>

.....I doubt it would be anything like 52/48 (or vice versa)........

;-)
Probably but I suspect that the percentage of the population who believe in some sort of afterlife, the existence of the supernatural and that there is somehow some sort of spiritual dimension to life is a lot higher than you perhaps think.
The survey may be eight years old but I rather think the percentages won’t have changed much.

A survey of 2,060 people showed 53 per cent believe in life after death, 55 per cent believe in heaven and 70 per cent believe in the human soul.
The study carried out between October and November last year for the public theology think tank Theos also showed nearly four in 10, or 39 per cent, believe in ghosts and more than a quarter (27 per cent) believe in reincarnation.
A further 22 per cent believe in astrology or horoscopes and 15 per cent believe in fortune telling or Tarot, the research revealed.
Half of people in London, the highest proportion in the UK, believe in ghosts, the survey showed.
To paraphrase Mr Spok, and mangle two of his pearls of wisdom together.

In critical moments, men sometimes see exactly what they wish to see, I find their illogic and foolish emotions a constant irritant.
Or as I would say, this is why I avoid the general public like the plague.
 RIP threads becoming tiresome ? - Robin O'Reliant
I never use the term, Rest in Peace. You ain't resting anywhere bro, yer dead.

My ghoul threads go under the title of, "XXXX has left the building".
Latest Forum Posts