Non-motoring > Another leaky tap question. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 10

Another leaky tap question. - VxFan
I finally sorted out the outside tap with a new washer (mentioned in another thread) and reattached it properly to the wall after shearing off one of the fixing screws.

Next question. Are all rubber tap washers the same, or are there dedicated ones for cold and hot taps? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the web.

I bought an assortment of tap washers from Robert Dyas that came in a pack of 16 various sizes, so having plenty left I decided to replace the washer in the dripping hot tap in the bathroom (a Westminster 1902 style tap).

2 weeks later, the water wouldn't flow until the tap was turned fully on, then came gushing out. Upon investigation the new washer I fitted had all but fallen apart.

Looks like the heat has trashed it. In comparison the old washer must have been at least 10 yrs old.

So, is it just poor quality stock from Robert Dyas? Should I be looking for ½" tap washers from a more reputable source?

Another leaky tap question. - Robin O'Reliant
No difference between hot and cold washers. Looks like you had a duff one.
 Another leaky tap question. - Zero
Not all tap washers are suitable for all taps. There is no hot water/cold water thing, but some taps dont like rubber washers, they twist them. Get fibre ones if you can.
 Another leaky tap question. - Duncan
>>
>> 2 weeks later, the water wouldn't flow until the tap was turned fully on, then
>> came gushing out. Upon investigation the new washer I fitted had all but fallen apart.
>>
>> Looks like the heat has trashed it. In comparison the old washer must have been
>> at least 10 yrs old.
>>
>> So, is it just poor quality stock from Robert Dyas? Should I be looking for
>> ½" tap washers from a more reputable source?

Is the seating cream crackered? You might need to use a seat cutter - or buy a new tap.
 Another leaky tap question. - Bromptonaut
>> Is the seating cream crackered? You might need to use a seat cutter - or
>> buy a new tap.

My thought too.
>> Is the seating cream crackered?

1st thing I checked. Dead smooth.
 Another leaky tap question. - Cliff Pope
It could be that your family has become conditioned to screwing the tap down hard over a long period of it dripping.
A traditional tap with a good seating and a new washer needs only a very light touch. Nothing wrecks a washer faster than over-tightening, especially a hot tap, because the rubber softens more.
 Another leaky tap question. - Ambo
We had 3 sets of new quarter-turn lever taps fitted three years ago and one has started dripping. It can be slowed, but not stopped, by pressing down hard of the top after use. It seems they do not use washers as we know them but ceramic discs.

Another leaky tap question. - Zero

>> the top after use. It seems they do not use washers as we know them
>> but ceramic discs.

Indeed, you need multi turn taps to use washers, 1/4 turn taps do not provide sufficient pressure, hence the disks, which do not like hard water areas.

Having said that I bought a Franke single column 1/4 turn kitchen tap ten years ago when I refitted the kitchen, and its been a pillar (ho ho) of reliability.
 Another leaky tap question. - Dog
by pressing down hard of the top after use. It seems they do not use washers as we know them but ceramic discs

Same as my ole shower mixer unit, I've had to replace the valve cartridge, which includes the discs, twice in arthur dozen years.
Very good point Cliff.
Latest Forum Posts