Non-motoring > Is this becoming a non-motoring site Miscellaneous
Thread Author: martin aston Replies: 44

Is this becoming a non-motoring site - martin aston
I have noticed for a while that this non-motoring section often generates more threads than the motoring one and that the technical section often has very little. In contrast the (cough) "other place" has the opposite pattern.

I always assumed there was quite an overlap of contributors but maybe this has shifted over time.

Are we just less car obsessed on here?
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - CGNorwich
There are only about 20 regular posters here now. I suppose they have run out of things to say about cars
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - movilogo
Cars have now become consumer goods like Washing Machine, Laptop Computer, Camera etc.

Most require little attention outside normal servicing. People rarely do DIY repair/servicing nowadays (especially true for younger generation).

So there is not much to "ask" or "discuss" about motoring.

Especially when C4P does not attract new members and (some of) old members prefer to fight over political views instead.

This puts of existing members from posting and creates a repeating cycle - leading to even fewer posts.

Some other forums ban political discussion - which, in hindsight, I think is correct decision. Political discussion often brings the worst out of otherwise decent people.
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Cliff Pope
>> I suppose they have run out
>> of things to say about cars
>>

There are no posters left interested in the kind of cars I like, but I do quite a lot of technical asking and replying on two classic forums.
I think slidingpillar and westpig were the only ones I was aware of here with classic interests. And AC of course had a vast practical experience and knowledge of old cars, as much else.

I suppose I could say I'm interested in the theory and philosophy of motoring generally, although modern cars leave me cold.
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Dog
>>although modern cars leave me cold.

Same 'ere but I starts it up and leaves it idling 'til the heater comes on strong.
Where have all the posters gorn, long time passing, where have all the posters gorn, long time ago.

www.car4play.com/forum/threads.htm?f=3

:-(
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Pat
I'm still in touch with seven of those names on there who no longer post 'because they don't enjoy it' anymore.

Another one, I was in touch with was Golf_Paul but he died some years ago now with a sudden heart attack.

Pat
>> I was in touch with was Golf_Paul but he died some years ago now with a sudden heart attack.

I'm sure I recall you mentioning that at one time. Quite a few C4Pers post on HJ I see. I had a look around earlier and found hondakarma.com thanks to a poster on a thread about the CR-V.

Maybe we could have a relaunch of this forum, with a new name, something along the lines of OneNation.

:)
Surely you mean argumentativeoldcodgers.com don't you dog? :)

Pat
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Ted

I have a slight interest in Classic Cars too. I don't really open threads about specific modern cars which I'm not interested in. General motoring questions are ( or can be ) more interesting. I don't ask on here if I have a specific query about either of our two moderns, Google will usually be the place to go for me. I've never opened a Top Gear or Formula One thread. Just not interested !
Talking of, um, argumentativeoldcodgers ... are the GOF's still going?
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - sooty123
>> Talking of, um, argumentativeoldcodgers ... are the GOF's still going?
>>

I would think so, I did join and have a look around but I didn't take to it for some reason I couldn't put my finger on. Might give it another go.
>>I would think so, I did join and have a look around but I didn't take to it for some reason I couldn't put my finger on. Might give it another go.

But, but, you're not a grumpy old fart are you sooty?
> But, but, you're not a grumpy old fart are you sooty?
>>

I don't think so.
I don't think you are either sooty.

Pat
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Runfer D'Hills
I most certainly am, but I try not to let it show. ;-)
Errrrr, it's not working:)

Pat
Ach well, I guess we all have our own crosses to bear...

;-)
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - tyrednemotional
>>Errrrr, it's not working:)

>>Pat

.....ahhh, come on......I don't think he's *that* old........

;-)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Thu 8 Mar 18 at 18:42
I do :)

Pat
Relatively speaking, I suppose you're right. In fact, I've often meant to ask some of the regulars here what it was actually like when the Romans invaded?

;-))
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - rtj70
Pat might know the answer - she once said she remembers this island of ours from before Europe.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 8 Mar 18 at 20:05
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Cliff Pope
>> In fact, I've often meant to ask some of
>> the regulars here what it was actually like when the Romans invaded?

Initially we welcomed the enormous trading opportunities available from becoming members of a wider community, but gradually realised that the treaty with Rome was one-sided. The political control and interference with our native customs became intolerable, there was a revolt by the woman leader of one of the tribes, and we had to eject them.

But in truth the Roman dream was failing anyway. The Germanic tribes were menacing, decadence and popular revolt in Rome were undermining community cohesion, and in the end the community collapsed under the weight of its own inherent faults and contradictions. The Gauls were probably the only people who ever really supported it at the end.

There was a period of darkness that seemed to go on for ages, but that was overstated by the ReRomers just to project fear. It all worked out all right in the end. I'm not sure what happened to the Romans - weren't they sacked?
The trade deals arranged in the period of darkness with Scandinavians proved to be rather one sided however.
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Zero
Meanwhile at the local ukip branch meeting

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvPbj9NX0zc

>> Maybe we could have a relaunch of this forum, with a new name, something along
>> the lines of OneNation.

As long as they are not of colour?
No problemo with colour. Two dogs, one black one, one white one, and one with a bit ...!!
Yes Dog, I used to drive the local pub darts team around Rutland in an old A30 van and we had some good rendering of that around Withcote and Loddington, when we were coming home;)

Pat
LOL

;o)
A lot of names on dogs link only posted a handful of times some just once. Did they get put off so quickly?
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Stuu
>>Did they get put off so quickly? <<

It is pretty combative, so if you just want discussion rather than argument there are plenty of other places to go, this place is worse than Twitter.

I drop in every now and again but rarely see any point in saying anything.
this place is worse than Twitter.

Its not that bad!
Yes, no sign of Donald on here yet.
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Rudedog
I often look at the other place and used to post years back, maybe surprisingly to some I find it more user friendly here for advice, the other place seems to be dominated by three to four so called 'car experts' and don't seem to like being contradicted, they are always quoting 'the law' or 'have you informed your insurer' and are in 'love' with Korean cars....

God forbid you mention those three deadly letters in a good light....D...S...G!
I find the negativity for DSG a bit irritating. I am not defending the long term reliability of the 'DSG' gearboxes but the implication is if you have a VW group DSG they are prone to failure.

This is probably because VW were first with a dual clutch transmission (DCT) and marketed it for VW, SEAT and SKODA vehicles as DSG. Audi called it S-Tronic. I'm not sure what Bugatti and Bentley call them when/if they use them. Porsche call it PDK which is basically another translation of DCT.

Loads of other companies use DCTs including McLaren and other performance brands. But it's always DSG that's mentioned. It should be DCT!

Rant over.

And my second VW group car with a DCT/DSG is touch wood doing fine. Again this is the 7 speed dry clutch you'd not touch with someone else's barge pole if it was yours apparently.
>> I find the negativity for DSG a bit irritating.

I find DSG irritating, dont like them, very annoying in low speed traffic and darting around in cities.
I'm starting to wonder if DSG/DCT with diesel is the problem. I didn't get on with it I thought in a Golf GT and then a GTD. But it's been fine in an Audi A3 petrol and the same again in the Superb.

Behaves likes an auto at all times. Creeps like a TC auto too providing auto hold has not intervened.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 8 Mar 18 at 22:26
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - legacylad
I am an ignoramus when it comes to understanding the variants of autobox available, and my current car is the first one with an autobox ( PDK) that I owned in over 40 years of driving. I have driven my USA friends autos, plus rentals in the States.....several different vehicles in total.
Whether I’ve been mislead or not, up until now I’ve shied away from autoboxes from VAG, not from any personal experience, purely hearsay on their long term reliability.
But the PDK box is fantastic in all types of driving, so if it is some kind of derivative from DSG, S Tronic whatever, it’s rather nice in the way it works.
Obviously I have no idea on reliability
Yes the PDK is a dual clutch gearbox - Porsche Doppelkupplungs. Doppelkupplungs meaning double clutch. I wonder if they make them on a 'VW' factory instead of a Porsche one or indeed is it made by the VW group*. I know Porsche is one large part of the VW group.

VW itself did not design their DSG - it is a BorgWarner design which is licensed to VW.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 9 Mar 18 at 09:33
>> Yes the PDK is a dual clutch gearbox - Porsche Doppelkupplungs. Doppelkupplungs meaning double clutch.

Wow - Doppelkupplungs sound so much more technically exotic than DSG

I can't keep track these days, does Porsche own VAG or is it the other way round?
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - tyrednemotional

>>
>> Wow - Doppelkupplungs sound so much more technically exotic than DSG
>>

....sounds like something one might buy from Beate Uhse.....

;-)
Just looked it up and ZF make the PDK for Porsche.

As for who owns who.... Porsche was amassing VW shares with the intention of taking them over. Then it all went wrong for them - I think the VW price surged and they got into a position they could not afford. At that time Porsche was making more money from it's dealings than making and selling cars. So VW had to effectively buy Porsche to fix the problem although I think they called it a merger.

So Porsche is one part of the VW group now. I don't think it's classed as a brand like SEAT or Å koda.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 9 Mar 18 at 09:50
Actually VW Group owns Porsche AG but Porsche SE is a majority owner of VW Group. So they kind of own each other ;-) Porsche SE (or Porsche Automobil Holding SE) is owned by the Porsche and Piech families.

Porsche Automobil Holding SE was originally Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG but it was renamed.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 9 Mar 18 at 10:05
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Rudedog
I suspect the low down torque of a diesel could make it jerky. My last loan car was a manual Polo TDi (usually a petrol), I found that very hard to pull away smoothly.

Never had a problem with my DSG and 2,0 TDi, wet clutch so behaves slightly different from the 7 speed dry couch.

Maybe Porsche have changed makers for their PDK, I was told when I ordered my car in 2006 there was a delay due the batch of DSGs going to the Cayenne.
 Is this becoming a non-motoring site - Mapmaker
>>Are we just less car obsessed on here?

Modern cars aren't worth worrying about. They all do exactly the same thing. I don't want to bang on about it, but my thirteen-year-old Accord drives as well as, and looks and feels almost as good as the day it left the factory 170k miles ago. Who cares.
Latest Forum Posts