Non-motoring > New Travel Camera Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 25

New Travel Camera - CGNorwich
Whilst I have a digital SLR the camera I use most is my little Lumix TZ40. The only thing I dont like about it its lack of a viewfinder.

Don't have to worry about that any more though. Whilst in Malta last week I dropped it on to a marble floor and it didn't like that one bitl!

Looking to replace it and want something similar but with a viewfinder. The only small and comparitivley cheap camera that fits the bill seems to be the Lumix TZ70 which I can get for £219 at JLP

Anyone have any other alternatives?

New Travel Camera - Dog
I have a Lumix TZ80 which I find excellent for sticking in my pocket and taking pics when I'm oot and aboot.

Talking of which, I was out 'walking the dogs' just now and a woman said I must be crazy wearing shorts 'in this' wevver, as she was wearing two pairs of troozers and her legs were still cold.
Last edited by: Dog on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 15:42
Yes looked at the TZ80 which is very similar but has better video I think and not too bothered about video so the cheaper option should be OK

Panasonic seem to be the only brand who have viewfinders on this type of camera

p.s the woman was right. You are crazy.:-) Walked into Norwich this morning. T shirt, lined shirt, jumper, down gilet and windproof coat, lined trousers, walking socks and boots with gaiters and thermally lined hat
 New Travel Camera - Dog
I purchased the TZ80 specifically for the live viewfinder, but find the LCD screen very good too compared to other compact cameras I have used. The 30x zoom lens comes in handy too.

www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz80_review/rivals/

I liken myself to the Romans who never wore long trousers and the Scots in their kilts :o)

New Travel Camera - Mapmaker
Does your Lumix take appreciably better photographs than your Moto G5 Plus that you mentioned here?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=24675&m=543644

Certainly my iPhone takes superb photographs, no need for a viewfinder as the screen is far better than on a compact. I can do things with my SLR that I can't do with my mobile, but my mobile is always with me - and is more intelligent.
 New Travel Camera - neiltoo
>> but my mobile is always with me - and is
>> more intelligent.
>>

More intelligent than you? Surely not!

(Snigger)

8o)
 New Travel Camera - Dulwich Estate II
I got myself a Panasonic DMC-GM5 camera a couple of years back. At the time, and I think still now, it was the smallest 4/3 interchangeable lens camera around with a viewfinder.

It's lovely and small - ideal for travel. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore but there's a brand new one on eBay for £499.

www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-compact-system-cameras/dmc-gm5.html
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 19:04
 New Travel Camera - rtj70
I have one of the earlier micro 4/3 cameras the Lumix G2. I still took it on holiday a fair few times but it's not often to hand because I'd put it back in the rucksack (not wanting it hanging around my neck). I sort of missed the camera in a case on my belt but when I got a dSLR it was because compact cameras didn't give me what I needed.

Then a trip years ago was planned to Krakow and we were going with hand luggage only. So no camera. I got a new phone partly because of this and that HTC One M7 had a great camera and I got some good photos. Surprised me.... so I used that a lot even when I had the G2.

Replacement phone was the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the camera was even better..... so G2 used even less. But there are times when I have tried taking photos and a camera phone is not good enough and no zoom.

So waiting to try out in earnest my camera when away. Really small but a 1" sensor. Does have a viewfinder (electronic).

Sony has kept all of these RX100's on sale. And older RX100 M3 is about £500. It was cheaper the end of 2017 with cash back.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 20:41
 New Travel Camera - Dog
The Canon G7 X Mark 11 is a camera I'd like to add to my collection. No viewfinder though and limited zoom range compared to my Lumix TZ80, but it has good low light performance and a tilting LCD screen.

More expensive than the Lumix though at around 500 quid on Amazon.
That was one of the ones I was considering before I won for the Sony. Sony a lot more expensive until Amazon had it for a few £ less and also £100 cash back. So a camera with RRP of £999 at £644. I paid similar for the Lumix G2 and Sony dSLR.
 New Travel Camera - Dog
Another camera I've been on the verge of buying is the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II, a very popular compact system camera it seems, often out-of-stock on Amazon.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013QWFKZ8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1
Looks a good camera but I really want a viewfinder and £500 is twice what I want to pay in view of my experiences with travel cameras. The canon Ixus was damaged when I fell down a scree slope in Greece the first Panasonic was in my pocket when I fell in a boggy marsh in Norfolk and the last came for grief when I dropped it in Valletta
 New Travel Camera - Dog
Howls about:

www.amazon.co.uk/lumix-tz90/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alumix%20tz90
I’ll take a look at that one. I think they have most of the Panasonic range at JLP. Am talking a stroll into Norwich later so I can compare what’s on offer
 New Travel Camera - Dog
>>Am talking a stroll into Norwich later

Why don't you wear your shorts now that the weather has warmed up .. +5° now in Sunni Cornwall.
Haven’t got any of the wretched things and won’t be buying any for a trip to Lanzarote it two weeks time either. :-)

About 2C here in the East. Another couple of cms of the white stuff fell last night. Roads are passable but some of the pavements round here are really treacherous.
 New Travel Camera - Dog
>>some of the pavements round here are really treacherous.

These are what I used when oot and aboot yesterday, I'll probably wear them today too Justin Case.

preview.tinyurl.com/y85hjnwf
Checked out the TZ 60,70,80and 90. At John Lewis Bought a TZ 70 and a Lowpro soft case. In view of my experience shelled out another £25 for two years accidental damage cover.

I hope it proves to be a good new camera for you. £25 sounds a good deal for 2 years accidental cover. You'll now not need it ;-)

Hopefully the small sensor will give good photos - small sensors in mobile phones do these days that's for sure. At least a small sensor gives you that good optical zoom range.
 New Travel Camera - Dog
I'm sure you'll be more than pleased with it and find the bright 3 inch LCD screen, 30x optical zoom, and the live viewfinder a joy to use.

I actually use my TZ80 more these days than my Lumix FZ200 bridge camera, both very good cameras with Leica lenses.
 New Travel Camera - sooty123
. The canon Ixus
>> was damaged when I fell down a scree slope in Greece the first Panasonic was
>> in my pocket when I fell in a boggy marsh in Norfolk and the last
>> came for grief when I dropped it in Valletta
>>

Sounds like a case of some sort would be a good investment.
Well yes but you have to take the things out of their case to use them and cases aren’t waterproof. It does give you an excuse for n upgrade as well I suppose.
 New Travel Camera - sooty123
I thought they'd be some sort of case you could use whilst it's on, like they have for mobiles? I haven't had a camera in years tbh, I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with something though?
Best thing about a compact camera you always carry on holiday or a smartphone.... you are more likely to capture memories.

I remember as a child we could go an a week's holiday and maybe only get a single film shot. But it all cost to develop/print. Digital is great isn't it.
 New Travel Camera - Ted

We inherited about 200 35mm slides from SWM's parents. After going through them I chucked about 150 which were just scenes, mountains, lochs, churches, etc. The rest, I transferred to the PC and then deleted all the blurred, out of focus or 'chopped off heads' ones. FiL would have loved a digital camera but he was no photographer. He liked to think he was but really hadn't a clue.

There were a dozen snaps of his O gauge garden railway that I was looking forward to seeing but all were too out of focus to keep. I kept all of their silver wedding party as most of the folks there are now dead (1966). They weren't too bad but someone else took most of them ! I kept a dozen or so which had people on or cars we had at the time.

He would have loved my Lumix FZ45 which I got off EBay for £100 a few years ago. A nice bit of kit, especially with a tripod, for a photographic numpty like me and him !
 New Travel Camera - Lemma
The TZ series are lovely cameras. I have a TZ80 that I use as my happy snapper. I chose it as I was very impressed with my old Lumix G3 micro four thirds kit. I wanted a compact that had both a viewfinder and enabled me to shoot in raw as well. Very few compacts will do that especially for the £250 I paid for mine. I use it alongside my Olympus OMD EM10 mk2, for which I have a range of lenses. So I have a pocketable, flexible snapper that takes remarkably good quality photos, although it is limited in less than optimal light. The Olympus is for more formal use but even this kit is highly transportable. The output of both cameras, I largely shoot in raw, is processed via Lightroom. It is really remarkable the quality that can be achieved these days with relatively modestly priced digital kit and software. I am sure the TZ is an excellent choice.
Latest Forum Posts