Non-motoring > Choral hymns on CD. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 61

Choral hymns on CD. - Badwolf
Hello folks,

For reasons that are slightly mysterious to me, we are getting married again on in a couple of weeks. This time, it's in a Catholic church. MrsB wants hymns but is a little fearful that they'll sound a little pathetic as we're not going to have that many people there and probably only a small percentage of those will actually sing. So, she has hit on the idea of obtaining a CD of sung hymns that we can play instead.

Unfortunately, after much searching, I'm having trouble finding a CD that contains the two hymns she wants, namely 'Bind Us Together Lord' and 'Sing It In The Valleys'.

Any ideas as to where I might be able to get such a CD please?

Thanks in advance.
 Choral hymns on CD. - Stuartli
See:

tinyurl.com/35unl9b (the Product Code may help)

www.mccrimmons.com/uploads/pdf/819.pdf

or hunt through websites such as:

www.eden.co.uk/shop/christian_videos_christian_dvds_216/index.html

Have you also asked if the church itself has a CD or DVD containing recordings of the two hymns?

Choral hymns on CD. - Zero
find one on youtube, copy the music and burn your own.
Thanks for that, gents :-)
 Choral hymns on CD. - BiggerBadderDave
I'll sing if I get an invite.
 Choral hymns on CD. - Tooslow
She's discovered that the first time round was invalid and you're not really married.

This is your chance. Run! Run as far as you can, as fast as you can! Run! Run Bw run!

Ah well. Don't say You weren't told.

:-)

JH

Choral hymns on CD. - Runfer D'Hills
Tee Hee BW, two marriages and a proposed adoption.....

Your wallet would never recover in the event of a parting of the ways ! Talk about stitched up like a kipper !

Only kidding, best to you both.......

PS - Hide some £ though just in case....... ( been there )

Choral hymns on CD. - Mapmaker
I suggest choosing hymns that people know.

The first you mention is god-awful; the second so awful I've never heard of it - it sounds as though it should be Welsh.

There are some hymns that everybody knows and can be relied upon to sing reasonably enthusiastically, and some that are a guaranteed FLOP. Trust me, I spent some time as a church organist, and the two that your DW (sic) wants do not count as being within the successful category.

Depends a bit on the congregation, but "Thine be the Glory", and "To be a Pilgrim" and "Guide me O Thou Great Redeemer ("Bread of Heaven")" I'd suggest might do the trick.

Members of the back room: do you know these hymns? And would you sing to them?

Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 18:15
>> Members of the back room: do you know these hymns? And would you sing to
>> them?

I know the football hooligan versions of To be a pilgrim!
 Choral hymns on CD. - Pat
Yes, I know all three of them along with Love Divine, Jerusalem and We Plough the Fields and Scatter!

Is Jerusalem suitable for a wedding MM? I love it.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 18:18
I hope so as we had it at ours. Along with All Things Bright & Beautiful. And Morning has broken (wasn't me guv).

JH
Jerusalem is surely the most horrific arrangement of notes and lyrics ever to be compiled into a tune.

How about the theme to Robinson Crusoe?
I was thinking more of

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ham6vFy8v2I

Followed by

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZQaYKZMTI&feature=av2e

Its has a nice theme and continuity to it.

Dressed up as Adam Ant i think.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 18:39
Saw Billy Idol at Wembley about '90 /'91 I think. Great show if a little disturbing !
No more disturbing than getting married twice in three months.......
Aye true, I've only done it twice in my life and at least one of them was a huge mistake !

Bigamy is having one wife too many.

Some feel that monogamy is the same thing.....
 Choral hymns on CD. - MD
>> Jerusalem is surely the most horrific arrangement of notes and lyrics ever to be compiled
>> into a tune.
>>
>> How about the theme to Robinson Crusoe?
>>
Born free. Matt Monroe?
>>Born free. Matt Monroe? >>

No "e" on Monroe...:-)

You are thinking of a scatty blonde and we all, not some, like it hot...:-)
 Choral hymns on CD. - CGNorwich
Not sure about the Catholic church but some vicars won't use "Jerusalem" because it is not regarded as a hymn and the theology is a bit shaky.
>> Not sure about the Catholic church but some vicars won't use "Jerusalem" because it is
>> not regarded as a hymn and the theology is a bit shaky.

Anything from the works of Henry VIII is out then?

I don't recall any tunes off that album
It bombed in Italy.
Stop mentioning the "B" word Zero. You'll have the Hereford heavies round right enough !

Choral hymns on CD. - Number_Cruncher
>>some vicars won't use "Jerusalem" because it is not regarded as a hymn and the theology is a bit shaky.

Precisely why I specified it at our wedding! [in your neck of the woods actually CGN - Yelverton]
 Choral hymns on CD. - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbmYOccWnk

If that's the version - don't use it !

We were advised not to select over ambitious tunes for our wedding - keep it simple. As befits a nation famed for its singing - fine selection of Welsh hymn tunes, Cwm Rhondda already mentioned - hair rasingly beautiful in a Rugby International but the harmonics can be tough on a small congregation, Rhosymedre is well regarded and can be applied to hymns of popular "measures". - Hyfrydol is well known internationally as is Blaenwern closely linked to Love Divine Pat's suggestion.
 Choral hymns on CD. - WillDeBeest
Dedicated rationalist and Dawkinsite that I am, I would join in heartily with any of MM's suggestions. Supernatural considerations aside, it's about communal endeavour at a wedding - the guests' job is to make a rousing noise in honour of the happy couple, and most of them will if they feel confident that they know what they're doing. Make it easy for them and they'll do you proud.
 Choral hymns on CD. - CGNorwich
Interesting character, William Blake. A revolutionary and regarded as completely mad in his time and people have been arguing about the meaning of his poems ever since. Believed in free love and that law had no place in relationships. Great choice NC!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMrY8jysdg
Is that Mrs Wolfe?

>> Is that Mrs Wolfe?

Nope - her 'tache is more neatly trimmed :-)

We're getting married 'again' for a fairly good reason - I was being deliberately vague in my OP as I couldn't really be bothered going into it all. However, several of you have expressed bewilderment so, here goes:

Mrs B first married in a Catholic church but then later divorced. Therefore she could not have married me in a Catholic church. So, she had to go through a very long-winded and rigorous process to get her first marriage annulled. Unfortunately we had no idea exactly how long-winded and rigorous this process would be. The date we had fixed for our wedding was looming ever closer and it became apparent that 'permission' would not come through in time so we had two options - either change the date of the wedding, which would mean messing around the hotel, our suppliers and (most importantly) our family and friends, or keeping the date and having a civil ceremony then having a church ceremony when, and if, 'permission' was granted.

I should say that I am resolutely atheist and have a healthy mistrust of the church. I'm only doing this as it's what Mrs B wants. I'm very lucky in that our local priest is a thoroughly decent cove. He knows my feelings and we've had many an in depth chat about my lack of faith but he's always been very welcoming towards me and is happy for me to marry Mrs B in his church as it is her to which I will declaring my faith, and not to a God that I don't believe in.

I do agree with whoever it was that said 'Bind Us Together Lord' is a terrible hymn. However, I'm in no position to suggest a better one... :-) We've changed 'Sing It In The Valleys' to 'These Vows Of Love Are Taken' which seems more appropriate. To be honest, I couldn't really give a monkeys, but you do things that you don't necessarily want to do in order to keep your beloved happy, don't you?
 Choral hymns on CD. - DeeW
The easiest and most reliable solution would be to provide your own singers, who can lead the rest of the congregation. Most churches have a choir, who are usually more than keen to perform at weddings, or funerals, for a small bung. If not, there will be a choral society somewhere in the area who would oblige for a donation to funds and a bottle for the musical director.
We had a small group from the Royal College of Music who sang the anthem at our wedding - quite beautiful.

The cd option will depend on the sound system available - some will only work with commercial cd's.

"I'm very lucky in that our local priest is a thoroughly decent cove."

But you wouldn't want him baby-sitting for you, right?
That one should come with a warning not to sit on the edge of your seat before you read it. Nearly fell off my chair laughing!

JH
I've played the organ at all sorts of weddings with bad hymns (like the two you mention) which nobody knows or sings, and aren't suitable for the organ.

I used to find most of my punters could be persuaded to have more sensible hymns... made my life much easier, and their memories of their wedding less unhappy.

Alternatively, don't have any hymns at all. Trying to sing hymns with only a handful of people is pointless.
>> Alternatively, don't have any hymns at all. Trying to sing hymns with only a handful
>> of people is pointless.

I know, MM. However, if you knew Mrs B then you would know that trying to persuade her to change her hymns is rather like fitting wheels to a tomato. Time-consuming and ultimately pointless...*

I spent hours last night typing up the Order of Service and am now dreading the occasion. The Church in general, and being in one for a service, makes me feel deeply uncomfortable. I knew that the service was never going to be 'God-lite' but I had no idea that it would be so heavy. I'm not sure that Mrs B wants me to stand there, mute however I cannot (and will not) say some of the 'all-together' parts of the service as I believe that one should not say things that you do not mean in a church. Which is a bit odd as I have no time for religion. But there you go....

I just hope that this earns me many, many Brownie points!

Incidentally, MM - are you free on Sat 11th? Fancy a pootle up to Southport to tinkle the ivories? We'll buy you a few pints afterwards and I'll get the mother-in-law to make you one of her famous steak and kidney pies :-)

*other 'Blackadder' quotes are available.
Last edited by: Badwolf on Tue 24 Aug 10 at 12:56
 Choral hymns on CD. - Fenlander
I was at a full on traditional wedding last year where a deeply atheist guy married a very catholic girl in a catholic church. The service was lean and upbeat with almost no religion, very carefully chosen words for their vows and two *poppy* hymns. Having attended catholic weddings in the past this was a change appreciated by me and 90% of those attending.
He was a very lucky man, then. The priest has said that he'll keep things to a minimum for me but even so...

>>and two *poppy* hymns

Gak! 'Happy clappy' hymns turn me right off - I can't stand it when people 'dance' and raise their hands to the ceiling. Makes me proper cringe.

At the end of the day, it's only forty minutes out of my life. Forty minutes that will make Mrs B very happy. And, at the end of that forty minutes I can relax at home surrounded by family and friends and get merry!
 Choral hymns on CD. - Fenlander
>>>Gak! 'Happy clappy' hymns turn me right off - I can't stand it when people 'dance' and raise their hands to the ceiling. Makes me proper cringe.

Ohh no... not that poppy. I just meant ones that had a tune infrequent churchgoers knew and with an upbeat feel.

As you say it's only 40mins... bit like the dentist :-)
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 24 Aug 10 at 13:21
>> Ohh no... not that poppy. I just meant ones that had a tune infrequent churchgoers
>> knew and with an upbeat feel.

Ah, righhhht. Got you.

>>bit like the dentist :-)

Yeah, but more painful...
What's she like on steak and kidney puddings?

JH
>> What's she like on steak and kidney puddings?

Nearly as good as she is on steak and kidney pies. I take it you're referring to my mother-in-law?
Indeed. My Dad made the best s&k puddings known to mankind. Went down a treat then sat in your stomach soaking up the gravy and expanding. Best not to have anything planned after you'd eaten one.

I've only found decent puddings in two pubs, both in Norfolk, curiously. The Black Boys in Aylsham and (best of the two) The Crown in Banningham. Tip, go for the "lady's" size. The "gentleman's" size is only for those who can eat a whole "cow pie" from the pub in Keswick who's name escapes me at the moment.

JH
If you're having an organist (sorry, I'll be tied up on 11th...) then you won't be able to play a CD at the same time.

1. The organist will kill you.

2. (see 1)

3. The CD will be out of tune with the organ

4. (see 2 on account of 3)
 Choral hymns on CD. - Pat
Badwolf, in the nicest possible way........:)

Shut up and stop whinging, just let her have whatever she wants.
OR, put your foot down and tell her no.

Simple really!

Pat
Ooooh, 'ark at you! :-)

Ruddy hell, can a bloke not go anywhere for a whinge now?!

I *am* letting her have what she wants but that doesn't mean that I have to like it, and moaning about it on her does help you know, in a 'therapy' kinda way.
 Choral hymns on CD. - rtj70
I can see why those 'hymns' might not be well sung by the congregation. The first one is on Spotify and I've found versions on You Tube of the other. I'd personally go for something more upbeat.

One of ours was to the tune of a Welsh hymn but English words... points for anyone that guesses it.

I can record the Spotify or any other I can play to an MP3 and send it on via email.
Hyrydol or Calon Lan ?
They sound more like ointments than hymns.
The ointments of the soul as some would have it :0
>> I can record the Spotify or any other I can play to an MP3 and
>> send it on via email.

Thanks for the offer Rob, but we've managed to borrow a CD from someone that has both the hymns Mrs B wants. Much appreciated though.

Cheers.
 Choral hymns on CD. - Avant
Sorry - missed this thread last week but it's worth resurrecting if only to wish the Badwolves every happiness.

Glad to hear you're a fellow-organist, Mapmaker. So far the forum seems to be free of bellringers.... I don't like Bind us together either, but Keeping the Bride Happy is of course No. 1 priority, so let's hope she has lots of friends who know it and will sing it. I get through it if asked for it at a wedding by putting some slushy Victorian harmonies
under it.

There are some amazing choices by wedding couples -

- Dear Lord and Father of mankind, Forgive our foolish ways
- I danced in the morning (containing the line 'They whipped and they stripped')
- Lord of all hopefulness (doggerel written by an atheist adulteress - when her husband went to war in 1939 she ran off with an Austrian refugee to America). It's chosen for its lovely Irish tune which fortunately is usually sung to the equally lovely Irish words 'Be thou my vision'.

Give it its due, Bind us together is a better bet for a wedding than any of those!

Only once in 40 years have I been asked for Fight the good fight - I think the bridegroom was having a laugh.

I'm always glad to play Jerusalem - often the only hymn the bridegroom knows. A great sing even if William Blake railing against his contemporary society isn't the obvious choice for a wedding!

Younger daughter is getting married next month - none of the above hymns! I'm giving her away rather than playing but I'll accompany SWMBO singing a solo when they sign the registers.
I wonder how often Widor's Toccatta from Symphony no 5 is used when the bride and groom exit the church? That's what we had.
Depends on the size of the church organ, Rob. It doesn't work on a village organ like ours at Sonning (a nice instrument but not enough power in the pedals for the big tune).

It may have gone a bit out of fashion, as I'm not often asked for it. I did play it once when I was organist of a Hampshire village, when the verger, the local cowman, got married and said 'Oi don't know what that piece be called but it go Tiddle-iddle-iddle'.

It does indeed go Tiddle-iddle-iddle.
>> It does indeed go Tiddle-iddle-iddle.

We got married in the church at Styal which belongs to the National Trust I think. Unitarian. Sounded okay on that organ. Not the cheapest place to get married - all involved at the church wanted/need cash in brown envelopes on the day. Seriously! Well white envelopes anyway.

Edit: if anyone has never seen the organ in the Bridgewater Hall played then do go. There's a talented chap who does a few solo shows. He plays some stuff on it that would normally take a small orchestra to do! Just remembered he's Jonathan Scott.

www.bridgewater-hall.co.uk/content/Discover/TheBridgewaterHallorgan.aspx
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 3 Sep 10 at 00:28
 Choral hymns on CD. - tyro
"Lord of all hopefulness (doggerel written by an atheist adulteress - when her husband went to war in 1939 she ran off with an Austrian refugee to America)."

One learns some amazing stuff on this forum. I well remember singing Jan Struther hymns in primary school assemblies. In fact, "When a knight won his spurs" was my favourite. It was the sort of thing that appealed to 9 year old boys.
That's right, Tyro. In the 1920s Jan Struther was asked to knock out a few children's hymns by the editor of a new hymn book, who served her well with the tunes he put to them. 'When a knight won his spurs' was set to a lovely old English folk-song - I liked it as a child too.

Her other little gem 'Daisies are our silver; Buttercups our gold' gained some popularity through being sung to another pleasant tune from Scotland. Maybe that one was a little less appealing to 9-year-old boys!
I had no recollection at all of "Daisies are our silver", and reckoned that I had avoided that one, but I googled it, started reading the words, and immediately the tune came back to me!

"In the 1920s Jan Struther was asked to knock out a few children's hymns by the editor of a new hymn book . . . "

If Wikipedia hasn't mislead me, that would be Percy Dearmer, the man responsible for "He who would valiant be" - another Primary School favourite. (And yes, I do realise that Dearmer was heavily indebted to Bunyan.)

Indeed - the book was Songs of Praise. Percy Dearmer bowdlerised Bunyan's original ('Who would true valour see) as he didn't like the reference to 'goblins and foul fiends' but a lot of hymn-books have gone back to the original whch is arguably more interesting.

If anyone is still with us (!) you might like to know that Percy's son Geoffrey Dearmer was in his day a well-known WW1 poet, and died in 1996 aged 103.
Last edited by: Avant on Sat 4 Sep 10 at 10:47
"Percy Dearmer bowdlerised Bunyan's original ('Who would true valour see) as he didn't like the reference to 'goblins and foul fiends'"

Well, I don't know what was going through Percy Dearmer's mind, but I suspect that the truth is that since Bunyan didn't write a hymn as such - but a song about Mr. Valiant for Truth, one of the characters in his story (Pilgrim's Progress) - Dearmer thought that (as a song about a character in a story) it wasn't quite suitable for use in church, and needed to be adapted.
Deamer's greatest contribution to the Church was surely his Parson's Handbook.

And on the Valiant for truth front, I recommend a listen to RVW's if you don't know it.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 6 Sep 10 at 12:11
 Choral hymns on CD. - apm
We had Lord of the dance, hills of the north rejoice and bread of heaven I think (should be able to remember... was only 3 years ago!). Most people knew them from school assembly, so lots of singing.

And we went out to Widor, too. Tiddle iddle iddle!!

Good for you BW letting the Mrs get what she wants. It'll take a long time to use up those brownie points, but probably less long than you'd think.

V best wishes,

Alex.
Latest Forum Posts