Non-motoring > Cry for help Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 8

Cry for help - Pat
Is there anyone on here around Sutton in Ashfield that is compassionate and has a good heart?

We ( the PDF) have had a desperate cry for help today from that area. It's the sort of thing that money won't solve but a bit of time, an empty car boot and throwing in a bit of fuel would make a huge difference to this persons life.

Email me at flyingwitch142@gmail.com if you could help, please.

Pat
 Cry for help - rtj70
I'm snowed under at work so finding the 3-4 hours just to get there and back would be neigh on impossible. Shame I was not closer.

Happy to contribute to the cost of fuel if that helps.

Rob, I took out your reference to a member living near there as I feel that might put undue pressure on that person to volunteer. If they choose to volunteer themselves then fine. I do hope someone can help out...
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 27 Feb 18 at 18:56
 Cry for help - Pat
Thanks for the offer rtj.

It's a driver who was taken into hospital 6 months ago and has since been made homeless. He's been sleeping in his car but has been found accommodation yesterday in a fairly remote area near Sutton in Ashfield.

All he has is a sleeping bag, deck chair, a plate and knife and fork, no furniture, no bedding, no cooking facilities or anything.
His income is £73 per week and it's too far out for any of the charities local to him to deliver anything to him.

We all have so much, he has so little and for many of us, we may have ended up in those circumstances if things had turned out differently.

I have asked all the people I know in that area, but they are all too busy with their own safe, warm cosy little lives.

Cynical?....yes, and it's situations like this that make me that way.

The charity will pay for the fuel and furniture if we have to, no problem but if anyone can help with anything they don't need it would be great.

I can't give any more specific details, we guarantee to preserve what little pride people have left by keeping them as far as possible anonymous.

Pat

Cry for help - Bromptonaut
Pat,

No practical help I can offer but has he done everything to maximise his income? You're probably aware of the web bases benefits etc checkers like www.turn2us.org.uk/ and www.entitledto.co.uk/ ? It would also be worth his while, if he's not done so already contacting his local Citizens Advice (Mansfield I think).

If he's a customer of Severn Trent Water has he applied for their 'big difference' social tariff?:

www.ccwater.org.uk/households/help-with-my-bills/severn-trent-water-big-difference/

bigdiff.co.uk/

Most of the water companies have something similar.
 Cry for help - Pat
It's early days yet Bromp, but thanks for the info.

The request came from the Housing Officer for the area and she is doing all the legwork about benefits but has approached us for the practical help.

We have a good network in most areas but this one alludes us somehow.

I just feel so guilty sitting here in the warm, looking out at the snow and smelling dinner cooking.

Pat
>> I just feel so guilty sitting here in the warm,

I get that feeling on a regular basis where some crisis means people are unable to top up their gas or electric. As one said the other week, what good is a food bank voucher if you can't heat anything?

Used to be crisis loans for the social fund but they were devolved to Councils and Northampton's scheme was abolished in 2015.
 Cry for help - BiggerBadderDave
"what good is a food bank voucher if you can't heat anything?"

Sandwiches.
 Cry for help - Bobby
Food banks don't have perishable food
>> Sandwiches.

There are a couple of free/pay what you can afford cafes in Northampton but they run on supermarket leftovers and tend to be sold up by lunchtime. Foodbank distribution points also tend to be just open for 3hrs in middle of day.

Bit of a beggar if your crisis firms up after midday. Worse if it's a Friday.
Latest Forum Posts