Non-motoring > Economic Growth a bit iffy..... Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 15

Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/business-43154467

Economic figures weakening?

I don't think this is a result of Brexit per se, but it is most certainly a sign of the political state of the UK at this time.

Utterly clueless and nobody has the slightest idea what to do next, or what will happen next.
 Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - Haywain
"Economic figures weakening?"

The BBC reported figures yesterday showing that the best growth since 2008; I can't remember the details, but I'm sure they'd have preferred to have read this out.
 Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - Bromptonaut
>> The BBC reported figures yesterday showing that the best growth since 2008; I can't remember
>> the details, but I'm sure they'd have preferred to have read this out.

Probably different measures/different things being measured. Quick Google found this which was about productivity rather than gross output.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43140646
 Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - Zero
>> "Economic figures weakening?"
>>
>> The BBC reported figures yesterday showing that the best growth since 2008; I can't remember
>> the details, but I'm sure they'd have preferred to have read this out.

The UK has seen the strongest two quarters of productivity growth since the recession of 2008, according to the latest data.
Output per hour rose 0.8% in the three months to December, the Office for National Statistics said. It follows growth of 0.9% in the previous period.
There was also a better than expected rise in wages. Excluding bonuses, earnings rose by 2.5% year-on-year.
However, unemployment edged higher, but still remains low at 4.4%.
The growth in productivity - as measured by the amount of work produced per working hour - will provide encouragement to policy makers who have wrestled with the challenge of low productivity growth since the financial crisis.

Productivity. Not growth. They are not the same.
My interpretation is that the economy is fundamentally sound but is being strangled by uncertainty and indecision. And that there is a limited time in which to correct that.

There are times when any direction is better than no direction. (Well, almost). Because eventually no direction will be interpreted as bad.
>> My interpretation is that the economy is fundamentally sound but is being strangled by uncertainty
>> and indecision.

The economy is surviving, just, - not growing at the same rate as comparable areas. Lower growth than the EU, the US.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 22 Feb 18 at 20:03
Exactly, the strangulation of a basically sound economy. So the answer is not to change it, or even try to impact it, it is to get a clue and remove the confusion and blinkers that are hurting it.

But I'm not holding my breath.
 Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - MD
Rudderless, but it’ll be worse under Corbyn.
 Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - sooty123
Well in fairness, rudderless wouldn't be a word I'd use to describe corbyn.
 Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - Dutchie
Why under the leadership of Corbyn would the Labour party trying to run the economy so much different to what it is now.?

Immigration from E.U citizens is down and people are leaving because may they feel insecure regarding their future.That will satisfy Brexiteers.

Leaving the customs union won't happen in my opinion or something very similair will be agreed on.

>> Why under the leadership of Corbyn would the Labour party trying to run the economy
>> so much different to what it is now.?

Because thats who they do. Borrow lots, Spends lots, Tax the rich lots (the rich being anyone who earns more than the average) give the unions lots of power, and then get voted out with the country in economic freefall.

Apart from Blair, he wasn't really Labour tho they say.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 23 Feb 18 at 12:51
 Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - Mapmaker
>>and then get voted out with the country in economic freefall.

And this time the country is not that strong to begin with.

Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - Lygonos

>>Immigration from E.U citizens is down and people are leaving because may they feel insecure regarding their future....

Don't worry Dutch - the growing influx of brown- and yellow-skinned people will keep the Brexiteers happy.
 Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - Dutchie
Maybe you are right Lygonos.

But I don't see the worry of Europeans in work in the U.K who have adapted and integrated with the local population.

Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - Lygonos
Europeans have integrated with the UK for thousands of years and will continue to do so.

Plenty of Poles remained in central Scotland after Stalin annexed Poland after WW2.

Some of the best fighters we had against the Nazis.

There is a statue planned for a Polish general who was put in charge of the defence of East Scotland in WW2 and played an integral part of the D-day plans, yet spent his days as a barman in Edinburgh after having his Polish citizenship removed by the communists, unable to return home.

Well known to the Dutch residents of Breda.

"Maczek's Division continued to spearhead the Allied drive across the battlefields of northern France, Belgium, the Netherlands and finally Germany. During its progress it liberated Ypres, Oostnieuwkerke, Roeselare, Tielt, Ruislede and Ghent in Belgium. (Coincidentally, the Polish word maczek means "poppy" in English, the symbol of remembrance associated with the area around Ypres in the First World War.) Thanks to an outflanking manoeuvre, it proved possible to free Breda in the Netherlands after a hard fight but without incurring losses in the town's population. A petition on behalf of 40,000 inhabitants of Breda resulted in Maczek being made an honorary Dutch citizen after the war. The Division's finest hour came when its forces accepted the surrender of the German naval base of Wilhelmshaven, taking captive the entire garrison, together with some 200 vessels of Hitler's Kriegsmarine."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Maczek

Economic Growth a bit iffy..... - Haywain
"Economic figures weakening?"

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice........

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/02/25/hammond-set-15bn-windfall-economic-forecasts-upgraded/

Latest Forum Posts