Non-motoring > KFC "crisis" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 60

KFC "crisis" - VxFan
Just what sort of sad individuals resort to phoning the police to complain that KFC are currently closed due to a chicken shortage?

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/20/kfc-chicken-shortage-causes-chaos-police-tell-customers-stop/

Many upset customers have also taken to social media describing the situation as an "apocalypse".

The worlds gone mad. Personally I think the whole thing is over eggaggerated.

Or could it be the fault of Breggsit.
 KFC "crisis" - Robin O'Reliant
Thank God it wasn't at Christmas, we'd have had no dinner.
 KFC "crisis" - sooty123
Clucking ridiculous.
 KFC "crisis" - Robin O'Reliant
newsthump.com/2018/02/21/desperate-kfc-customers-spotted-chasing-rats-with-a-butterfly-net-and-a-bucket/
 KFC "crisis" - smokie
I've only had KFC once, back in about 1973, and it was so disgusting that I've never again been tempted. And I am not a fussy eater!!

I suppose I would try it again now but many of the fast food places really don't appeal that much. I would never be the first to recommend pizza but always quite like it when I have it. Same with burgers, which I never choose as a meal in a pub, though once in a while I go for a Burger King but never really enjoy it. Only had kebab once, in Piraeus. Never had a Dunkin' Donut. Love a nice portion of fish and chips though, or a half decent sandwich - doesn't even have to be "proper" bread.
 KFC "crisis" - Manatee
What a cock up.
 KFC "crisis" - smokie
Change your delivery supplier and your chickens all come home to roost... or not, as the case may be!!
 KFC "crisis" - BiggerBadderDave
I'm careful with what I eat (mostly) but every now and again, I enjoy a bit of junk. A MacDonalds or a bag of chips.

But I could not eat a KFC. Horrible, greasy batter. Yuk. Kentucky Fried Cholesterol.
 KFC "crisis" - VxFan
Police arrest man responsible for KFC chicken disaster

image.ibb.co/bYFLtH/KFC.jpg
 KFC "crisis" - Falkirk Bairn
You run a successful business.
You decide to change a major step in your product delivery.

You go for the big bang approach - shut off supplier A & replace with supplier B & at the same time introduce a new computer system for collating requirements - no transition plan - no pilot testing in Wales, NE England.

And it goes wrong - Surprise!!

in 1999/2000 the SQA( Scotland Exam Body) tried to amalgamate 2 Exam systems - re-classify qualifications - introduce a new computer system. Course reclassification over ran, software could not register students, pupils sat their exams & they could not process results. In the end they ran school by school spreadsheets & printed certificates. Got IBM in and spent £40m to get out of their hole.
 KFC "crisis" - bathtub tom
I was told they pressure cook the stuff in oil, the raised pressure allows higher temperatures and quicker cooking.
Sounds like a recipe for a bomb!
 KFC "crisis" - Manatee
This must have caused quite a back up in the entire supply chain. The chickens were already in the pipeline, so to speak. So there is a pile up somewhere - at the growers, processors, in trailers, in the Rugby warehouse?

I think I tried KFC in the 1980s, haven't wanted to since.

Best fast food by far is fish and chips.
 KFC "crisis" - Zero
Apparently they moved the whole thing to one distribution centre, with one major motorway artery in and out, and the first movement of convoys out got trapped in a motorway closure and it all went rapidly TU from that point
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 21 Feb 18 at 15:36
 KFC "crisis" - Pat
DHL undercut Bidvest who had done this successfully for years and made it look easy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DHL go under due to the compensation claim that will be forthcoming.

It is entirely their own fault for not negotiating a transition clause into the contract. They will probably realise that perishable 'on time' goods are a completely different kettle of fish (chicken?) to what they are used to now.

Pat
 KFC "crisis" - No FM2R
>>I wouldn't be surprised to see DHL go under due to the compensation claim that will be forthcoming.

I'd be b***** stunned. They're insured.

Though I do wonder about the compensation that KFC may need to pay their franchisees
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 21 Feb 18 at 17:13
 KFC "crisis" - No FM2R
I also wonder if the "crisis" has not in fact been exaggerated somewhat. Like a b***** lot.
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
>> I also wonder if the "crisis" has not in fact been exaggerated somewhat. Like a b***** lot.

But the majority of their restaurants are shut. And in the UK most are franchises - who pays them compensation for lost business?

Makes you wonder how DHL will improve things. Bidvest might have closed one distribution centre on loss of contract but they had distribution centres all over the place.
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
>> I wouldn't be surprised to see DHL go under due to the compensation claim that will be forthcoming.

DHL Express is a division of Deutsche Post - more of a brand really since 2002. Turn over for Deutsche Post is probably double that of KFC - and DHL usually make several billion €'s profit each year. I think they can afford the compensation.
 KFC "crisis" - Manatee
>> Apparently they moved the whole thing to one distribution centre, with one major motorway artery
>> in and out, and the first movement of convoys out got trapped in a motorway
>> closure and it all went rapidly TU from that point
>>

There were reports earlier of lorries queuing for 10 hours or more to drop KFC stock at Rugby.

It must have been a hell of a motorway closure to result in the majority of outlets being closed at some point.

If KFC got the contract right, there could be a big claim. And if the underlying problem is DHL's failure to run its business properly then insurance may not apply.

That said it doesn't reflect well on KFC's management. Cocking up a mission critical function to save a bit of money - somebody's head will roll for that. I think the UK CFO took over as MD about a year ago - maybe saw a quick win...
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
There must have been a RAID log for this project with a big risk against the single distribution centre idea. Or there should have been.
 KFC "crisis" - Manatee
>> There must have been a RAID log for this project with a big risk against
>> the single distribution centre idea. Or there should have been.

No doubt, and a convincing list of mitigations in place.

Bet it's software though.
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
Maybe it is software, but keeping fresh chicken moving between slaughter houses and one central distribution point and then from there to shops all over the UK.... I'm not surprised it has issues.
 KFC "crisis" - No FM2R
RAID log? Is this some new trendy acronym?
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
RAID or RIAD:

- Risks
- Assumptions
- Issues
- Dependencies
 KFC "crisis" - Duncan
>> RAID or RIAD:
>>
>> - Risks
>> - Assumptions
>> - Issues
>> - Dependencies

I think it would - or should - be more correct to call it a presumption:-

"Presume vs. Assume. Presume is a verb that means to suppose, to take for granted, or to dare. ... In the shared meaning of “to suppose,” presume is usually used when you suppose based on probability, while assume is used when you suppose without any evidence."
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
>> think it would - or should - be more correct to call it a presumption:-

You can call it what you want. In IT Service Management/Project Management it's 'Assumption'.
 KFC "crisis" - Manatee
In that case your acronym is DRIP.

But it is conventional for business cases/appraisals to use "assumptions".
 KFC "crisis" - Pat
Absolutely spot on Manatee.

There will be other warehouses/cold stores becoming available shortly.

Rumour has it DHL will be losing the Birds Eye contract too.

Insurance won't cover ineptitude, and neither should it.

Pat
 KFC "crisis" - Manatee
According to the GMB, Burger King switched from Bidvest to DHL with disastrous results. I see BK is back on Bidvest's client list.

Beggars belief really, but neither was the first big company to cock up its logistics. A pal of mine was at Sainsburys when it torpedoed itself with a badly managed warehouse automation project. ISTR the nub of the problem was outsourcing IT project management to Accenture and the failure of Sainsburys to put in its own its own controls which meant it took several years for them to realise it had gone wrong.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 21 Feb 18 at 18:49
 KFC "crisis" - Pat
Bidvest are a very good company and look after their customers well.

>>neither was the first big company to cock up its logistics<<

We've seen it happen more than once and the problems only start when the contract does.

Pat
 KFC "crisis" - Zero

>> It must have been a hell of a motorway closure to result in the majority
>> of outlets being closed at some point.

Drivers and lorries got tied up, no backup resource, very tight scheduled JIT computer generated schedules means the whole thing snowballed out of control.

I worked with DHL for a year before I retired, they are a shower. Never turned a profit in the UK from their logistics arm.
 KFC "crisis" - Pat
>>they are a shower. Never turned a profit in the UK from their logistics arm<<

You are so right!

Pat
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
>> JIT computer generated schedules

For lorries that have to deliver from a transport hub off a major motorway. Single point of failure.

If you had multiple hubs then you have resilience. This is no different to designing some IT solutions.
 KFC "crisis" - smokie
Don't entirely disagree but you only have as much resilience as you have stock, and for perishable goods presumably there isn't excessive stock knocking around to re-direct.
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
But your stock is in more than one location. So you can deliver from other locations to where you don't usually.

And DHL Rugby to Inverness is an 8 hour drive.... seems a bit far to deliver chicken to me. A distribution hub in Scotland would make sense.
 KFC "crisis" - bathtub tom
>>And DHL Rugby to Inverness is an 8 hour drive.... seems a bit far to deliver chicken to me.

They'll have to make do with the deep fried mars bars.
 KFC "crisis" - Manatee
>> >>And DHL Rugby to Inverness is an 8 hour drive.... seems a bit far to
>> deliver chicken to me.
>>
>> They'll have to make do with the deep fried mars bars.

It'll do 'em no harm to have a healthy alternative to KFC for a week or two.
 KFC "crisis" - smokie
Yes but although your stock is split across locations, you would only be holding enough (I presume) for the stores in that catchment area - or maybe some small contingency but certainly not enough to service all requirements.

Perishable goods are very different to bits of hardware.
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
I get what you are saying... but getting bits of chicken to Inverness from Rugby on a regular basis (point to point) will take a driver all his driving hours. But the truck carries chicken for other places on the way. It has to be temperature controlled etc. No way does Inverness need an HGV load of chicken.

One hub is not a solution in my opinion although DHL and KFC think it is. Well thought it was.

If you had more hubs (like what the capable Bidvest had) then you can supply most places more easily. In the event of a problem you might be able to cover for a problem hub.

I am only making guesses, but Bidvest closed a site and made 250 redundant. This I am again guessing was the central hub handling KFC chicken. Bidvest then distributed from there to their spoke hubs. And from the spoke hubs to store. DHL are trying to send everything from the centre.

Next week we will have KFC customers with food poisoning if they do not fix this.

>> Perishable goods are very different to bits of hardware.

And getting them all delivered from Rugby is a challenge.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 22 Feb 18 at 00:17
 KFC "crisis" - PeterS
i was talking to someone a couple of evenings ago at a dinner, and was astounded to hear that last week McDonalds bought around 440 tonnes of shredded iceberg. There’s 6 grammes in a Big Mac...
 KFC "crisis" - sooty123
>> i was talking to someone a couple of evenings ago at a dinner, and was> astounded to hear that last week McDonalds bought around 440 tonnes of shredded iceberg. There’s 6 grammes in a Big Mac...

What's that though, a week, a month supply?
 KFC "crisis" - PeterS
I can’t imagine the shelf live of chopped iceberg is that long; I imagine what’s delivered in a week is roughly what’s consumed in a week...
 KFC "crisis" - sooty123
>> I can’t imagine the shelf live of chopped iceberg is that long; I imagine what’s
>> delivered in a week is roughly what’s consumed in a week...
>>

Maybe there's some sort of freezing technique.

But would that be per delivery, could be staggered out over a period of time?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 24 Feb 18 at 13:57
 KFC "crisis" - Zero
UK Mcd serve 3.8 million customers a day. Thats 26.6 million a week.

I can't be bothered to do the math and see how many of those are Big Mac orders.
 KFC "crisis" - No FM2R

>> astounded to hear that last week McDonalds bought around 440 tonnes of shredded iceberg. There’s 6 grammes in a Big Mac...

Maybe it wasn't all for delivery in the same week?
 KFC "crisis" - PeterS
Sorry, when I said bought, that was physical orders for delivery that week. Daily deliveries of course... the Big Mac promo, plus Mini Mac and Grand Big Mac specials drove a lot of volume. Plus the increased footfall resulting from the closed KFCs I guess!! McD have around 1,300 stores I think; KFC seem to have two thirds that number. I walked past KFC in Chichester yesterday; it had reopened but posters in the door showed advised of a reduced menu being operated. The drive-through seemed to be closed.
 KFC "crisis" - Roger.
Iceberg lettuce is pants, but cheap.
The best packet salad baby leaves come from M & S. They are expensive; much more so than supermarket own label, or Florette, but they last much longer as while they are pre-washed, they are not damp, or sopping wet.
End of boring intermission!
 KFC "crisis" - MD
Manatee. Try and understand that no one takes over as MD! Geddit. 0:-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Feb 18 at 03:40
 KFC "crisis" - Duncan
>> You run a successful business.
>> You decide to change a major step in your product delivery.
>>
>> You go for the big bang approach - shut off supplier A & replace with
>> supplier B & at the same time introduce a new computer system for collating requirements
>> - no transition plan - no pilot testing in Wales, NE England.
>>
>> And it goes wrong - Surprise!!

Heathrow Terminal 5

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7322453.stm
 KFC "crisis" - Stuartli
Why did the chicken cross the road?

To find a delivery driver.
 KFC "crisis" - neiltoo
Apology from KFC

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5426167/KFC-crisis-continues-newspaper-FCK-apology.html
 KFC "crisis" - Duncan
>> Apology from KFC
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5426167/KFC-crisis-continues-newspaper-FCK-apology.html
>>

I am not amused.
 KFC "crisis" - Zero

>> I am not amused.

you have never been happy since spoons closed down.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 24 Feb 18 at 16:35
 KFC "crisis" - Dutchie
My favorite used to be Wimpy's.

Ten bob for eggs bacon beans for two.Those where the days.

KFC "crisis" - VxFan
KFC are running low on gravy now.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43226105

Ah, Bisto !!
 KFC "crisis" - sooty123
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43337521

KFC have gone back to their original supplier.
 KFC "crisis" - rtj70
>> KFC have gone back to their original supplier.

.... for the north of the country. They have realised running all of this out of Rugby was a mistake.

I wonder how long before Bidvest are supplying all 900 restaurants again?
 KFC "crisis" - Pat
Expect a price rise on the menu for your KFC, that contract won't have come cheaply....or at the old price!

Pat
 KFC "crisis" - Bromptonaut
>> Expect a price rise on the menu for your KFC, that contract won't have come
>> cheaply....or at the old price!
>>
>> Pat

Heard this on news last night and was wondering about the commercial side. I'm sure the bottom line trumps the temptation to tell KFC to take a running jump but to be a fly on the wall in those discussions...........
 KFC "crisis" - Pat
I'd have loved to have been present.:)

Some years ago we had a customer was always a pain in the bum and never stopped complaining about the way we serviced the contract. When it was due for renewal they delighted in telling us that we wouldn't be getting it.

Six months later they came back, cap in hand, asking us to do all their work again as they hadn't realised just what a good job we were doing.

We quoted a premium price because we really didn't want it back and they were still happy to pay that.

We're still doing it now!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 9 Mar 18 at 08:25
 KFC "crisis" - Zero
I doubt its terms were commercially considerably more expensive than the old ones. Bidvest have an eye on the long term future, specially with Brexit coming, there would be little in the way of front line startup costs, and customer retention is key. Sure it will be a little more expensive per unit cost because its not a national exclusive deal. One wonders what the contract term is, or if its just a filler till DHL ramp up. If its short term, yes it will be more expensive.

The really interesting thing is DHL and Brexit. They have never really made any money here out of their operations, some of them loose shedloads. Express, Logistics, Parcels, Post business's were never really fully integrated all carrying heavy separate management lines, and Tradeteam had always been outside the company core.

Expect them to be sold off and broken up by Bundespost post Brexit.
Latest Forum Posts