Non-motoring > New Boiler.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 14

New Boiler.... - R.P.
When we bought this place last May we knew the oil combi was on its last legs. Opening it up revealed a nightmare of dirt, dust, old water leak stains and er..rust. It was around 12 years old. There was zero pressure on the gauge when cold although it did pluck up some courage when fired up. Cue the attempts to get it serviced. One recommended guy turned up took one look (and in fairness cleaned it up) and said it needed a major overhaul or replacement. He didn't charge for his visit but said he'd factor it in on a overhaul/replacement price which he promised to do. Anyway it never materialised..odd way to do business. Several local heating engineers were contacted and none turned up. We even went through the Bosch and Grant websites. Nothing.

Two nationals were contacted. The first (no names no pack drill) sent a "surveyor" who had to keep referring to the "technical team" with photos of the current installation before declaring a direct replacement was impossible and we'd have to have an outside boiler...6k...

Boilerjuice (who supply our oil) e-mailed an offer two weeks ago with company called "Hasslefree Boilers" my antenna were twitching but a local surveyor turned up within a day of the enquiry. Quoting over 2k less including a networked thermostat (Nest - brilliant bit of kit) - week later the installer turned up and fitted and commissioned it in short order. New shiny Grant now in place of the old one. Nice warm house.
 New Boiler.... - Fullchat
Love a happy ending. Those outside ones have some appeal by freeing up inside space in our case a cupboard. But then I suppose it would look an eyesore on the drive.
 New Boiler.... - Zero
Wales init? I thought you just set fire to your cottages to keep warm
 New Boiler.... - VxFan
>> Wales init? I thought you just set fire to your cottages to keep warm

I thought they cuddled up to sheep to keep warm.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Feb 18 at 13:01
 New Boiler.... - No FM2R
>> >> Wales init? I thought you just set fire to your cottages to keep warm
>>
>>
>> I thought they cuddled up to sheep to keep warm.

Cuddling is for Autumn. Come the winter you need real warmth.
 New Boiler.... - Harleyman
>> Wales init? I thought you just set fire to your cottages to keep warm
>>

Only if there's an Englishman living in there.
 New Boiler.... - rtj70
I had a teacher who'd gone to prison for burning down someone's holiday cottage when younger. Didn't seem to hold back his career though - he ended up headmaster. Probably doing time for arson was seen as a positive on his 'CV' when applying for that job.
 New Boiler.... - Harleyman
>> I had a teacher who'd gone to prison for burning down someone's holiday cottage when
>> younger. Didn't seem to hold back his career though - he ended up headmaster. Probably
>> doing time for arson was seen as a positive on his 'CV' when applying for
>> that job.
>>

Presume he didn't get invited to many housewarming parties, though.
 New Boiler.... - rtj70
;-)

Probably invited to a few to be honest. A good teacher. He had his (wrongly held) beliefs over holiday cottages.
 New Boiler.... - BiggerBadderDave
"Only if there's an Englishman living in there."

Bobby burnt his house down twice didn't he? And he's a Scot.
 New Boiler.... - commerdriver
>> "Only if there's an Englishman living in there."
>>
>> Bobby burnt his house down twice didn't he? And he's a Scot.
>>
Aye, but I think his cousin from England was visiting. :-)
 New Boiler.... - rtj70
Or it might be that his neighbour started the fire and it happened once. Not something to make fun of in my opinion. How would you like your home burning to the ground and having to flee.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Feb 18 at 22:41
"Not something to make fun of in my opinion. "

Look out, guys. Self-appointed sense of humour police are staking out the joint.
 New Boiler.... - Falkirk Bairn
17th March 1978 - MiL set my house on fire- I was in London, wife was visiting eldest in hospital & MiL was in charge of the house & the 12 mth old twins for a couple of hours.

Since then in discussions about MiLs I have always said we got on like a house on fire.
A wonderful example or using humour as a defensive mechanism, FB.

You did, I did it and so do most non-autistic people.
Latest Forum Posts