Non-motoring > Iceland anyone been? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 16

Iceland anyone been? - Bobby
I mean the country before anyone makes smart shopping jokes.........

Missus has always wanted to go and I note that return flights are only £100 or so with EasyJet in Sept.

What should be seen and visited? Where best to stay, where eating and drinking costs?

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers
 Iceland anyone been? - Stuu
icelandmonitor.mbl.is/travel

Good place to start.
 Iceland anyone been? - smokie
If the flights seem considerably cheaper than other times of year, do check that it isn't the hurricane season or whatever they have out there...
 Iceland anyone been? - rtj70
Have you seen the weather in the TV series Fortitude.... :-)
 Iceland anyone been? - Hard Cheese
Been thinking the same.

Try WoW from Edinburgh, they are also a good way to get to N America, from LHR, LGW or EDI with a change in Reykjavik. Used to go from Bristol, might be Summer only.
 Iceland anyone been? - rtj70
My brother tried WOW from SFO to Bristol via Reykavik..... never again. The savings are not worth it.
 Iceland anyone been? - hjd
We spent 5 days in Reykjavik last August. It was sunny for almost all of that; the locals claimed they only had 6 sunny/rainfree days a year so we had been very lucky.
Restaurant meals are very expensive. Cheapest was £70 for two for one curry with rice each, one naan bread, one beer and one tap water.
Scenery is fascinating - no trees (some had been planted in Reykjavik). No trains anywhere.
We did the Golden Circle tour, very interesting - make sure you go in a small bus not a large one unless you like being herded and having to wait for the last stragglers out of 50 at every stop. Also did a short boat tour to see the puffins - they are so funny when they fly (at very high speed).
As we usually do, we did a food tour which would recommend.
Plenty to do in 4/5 days, if you are interested in geology/geography there is lots more to explore .

We flew Icelandair, no problems. Got upgraded and used the spacious lounge. There is a growing market in people travelling to/from the States on Icelandair breaking their journey for a day or more - prices for that are competitive.
 Iceland anyone been? - legacylad
My next door neighbour regularly visits family in Boston, flies Icelandair from MAN and always stops over in Iceland for a few days. He obviously likes the place... I’ve flown over it a number of times en route from AMS to Seattle and the topgrapghy looks amazing, so must have been lucky as it was almost cloudless.
I’d definitely like to visit
 Iceland anyone been? - R.P.
Mrs RP went this time last year to see the Northern Lights - It was slightly warmer than Anglesey, and wetter. Hideously expensive. I think she was surprised at the price of a Lasagne !
 Iceland anyone been? - movilogo
Went there few years back in summer. Fascinating experience - the landscape feels like Mars rather than Earth :-)

Hire a car by all means. Be aware that sometimes you may not see another car for hundreds of miles! So make sure you have full tank of fuel. Outside towns fuel pumps are self-operated where you can pay by card only. In fact I didn't carry any local currency at all. Everywhere paid with cards.

Avoid gravel roads - unless you are hiring 4x4 and confident in driving them. These roads can be dangerous (sometimes your sat nav will guide you over gravel roads but you may find alternative - so always research routes before leaving hotel). If you have to drive over it, then stick below 30 MPH. I have seen cars spun and went to ditch in front of me. I travelled several feet after applying brake. Best avoided at all cost. You can travel to most popular destinations without driving on gravel roads (I most covered South & West - not much on East & North).

It is heaven for driving - miles after miles of empty roads with outstanding landscape. There are potholes in roads - so don't speed too much.

Iceland anyone been? - bathtub tom
Daughter went a few years ago hoping to see the northern lights and do a glacier tour. All she saw was rain, low cloud, mist and a rapidly diminishing bank balance. Glacier tour was cancelled due to weather.

Sounds risky to me.
 Iceland anyone been? - Zero
Look on the bright side, she didn't get fried by the Volcano
 Iceland anyone been? - Dog
>>All she saw was rain, low cloud, mist and a rapidly diminishing bank balance.

Could have gorn to Cornwall for that-sort of wev, and saved a bunch of notes.
 Iceland anyone been? - CGNorwich
Parking is cheaper in Iceland.
 Iceland anyone been? - legacylad
Or upper Ribblesdale! Rotten weather at t’moment.
At least our booze is cheaper....speciality gin of the week plus any Fever Tree tonic £4 in my local, £2.65 a pint for real ale.
 Iceland anyone been? - Dog
At least we hardly get any snow, ice, or fog down this end. I think the ole woman would rather have it cold and dry though, rather than wet and warm. She hails from Brentwood in Essex you see :(
 Iceland anyone been? - Manatee
Semi apropos, last night I watched a programme on the Fogo Island Hotel (Newfoundland) that I recorded months ago.

Oddly it has just started on BBC2 I think. I was so intrigued I looked it up - £1,000+ per room per night.
Latest Forum Posts