Non-motoring > Act of Vandalism / Polution Green Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 19

Act of Vandalism / Polution - zippy
www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/42650487

If it ever gets there it will be nothing more than an absolute act of vandalism no better than fly tipping, including the huge amount of unnecessary pollution in getting the thing in to space.

All this from the owner of a supposed "green" car and electricity company. Shame!
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - Hard Cheese
Agree totally Zippy.

And if my Tesla I'd ordered was overdue I'd he well annoyed.
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - madf
Vanity project.
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - TheManWithNoName
Its neither. Its simply a test of the rocket payload ability.
And since he is the owner of Tesla, what better product to carry than one of his own cars?

Ultimately it will test the payload capabilities of spacecraft which, it is hoped, will eventually take similar payloads and ultimately human explorers to Mars.
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - sherlock47
Vanity project, but a shed load of advertising coverage!
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - Zero
>> Vanity project, but a shed load of advertising coverage!

Along the lines of "customers are waiting month and months for cars because they cant build them properly, yet they can put effort into firing one into space as junk"

I don't think customers are waiting months just because he chooses to fire one vehicle into space.
If he was sending hundreds of 'em skywards then I would agree it's a waste.

Musk has often been lambasted by his peers but like all great inventors, pioneers and innovators, its par for the course. Just look at what contemporaries thought of the Wright Brothers in 1903?

Piano wire and canvass to rockets aiming for Mars all within 115 years. Thank goodness for progress and forward thinking people.
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - commerdriver
Wonder what proportion of a complete car he is going to send up there
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - rtj70
>> Wonder what proportion of a complete car he is going to send up there

He's sending up Roadster. This was the original Tesla car and is based on the Lotus Elise. So it is complete and probably a cherished car.

It is all about publicity. This is the first time the rocket will be fired/launched so it could end up getting no further than the launch pad anyway.

>> He's sending up Roadster. This was the original Tesla car and is based on the
>> Lotus Elise. So it is complete and probably a cherished car.

Cherished? So.....Is that the new term for knackered?
>> Cherished? So.....Is that the new term for knackered?

Needs a new battery pack. He'll claim on the insurance when it goes bang. And then get the new roadster Tesla will be building as a replacement.
>> Musk has often been lambasted by his peers but like all great inventors, pioneers and
>> innovators, its par for the course. Just look at what contemporaries thought of the Wright
>> Brothers in 1903?

When he gets the rocket out of earths orbit by battery power I will applaud him roundly and proclaim his genius.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 24 Jan 18 at 14:39
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - Lygonos
More chance of succeeding using a giant Dennis-the-Menace style catapult.

>>
>> When he gets the rocket out of earths orbit by battery power I will applaud
>> him roundly and proclaim his genius.
>>
That would be quite a feat of engineering since batteries can't provide thrust to escape Earth's gravity.
But hey, that's why he is a billionaire innovator/inventor and you are not.
;-)

>> But hey, that's why he is a billionaire innovator/inventor and you are not.
>> ;-)

oh! the way you were going on I thought we were talking about god
God is fiction. Science, invention and progress are real.
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - Hard Cheese
>> I don't think customers are waiting months just because he chooses to fire one vehicle
>> into space.>>

No, though if you had been waiting for months for the model is question you would be rather annoyed to see that he is planning on firing one into space.

>> If he was sending hundreds of 'em skywards then I would agree it's a waste.
>>

One is polluting space, hundreds, well ...

>> Piano wire and canvass to rockets aiming for Mars all within 115 years. Thank goodness
>> for progress and forward thinking people.
>>

Actually piano wire and canvass to rockets aiming for Mars all within 65 ish years - and relatively little progress since.

Why? Because it's all about money.
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - Lygonos
Just watched the launch.

Apart from the obligatory yank audience whooping like monkeys it was very impressive.

Who on earth would even try to get booster rockets to turn round, fly back to Earth and land back on their bases?!

Supposedly NASA's heavy launcher which is in development will cost nigh on $1bn per flight.

Falcon Heavy is a tenth of that.
 Act of Vandalism / Polution - Rudedog
I always find it mind blowing that earth's escape velocity is 7 miles/second especially when they rerun the films of the enormous Saturn V's or R7's taking off.
>> Who on earth would even try to get booster rockets to turn round, fly back to Earth and land back on their bases?!

Elon Musk? ;-)
Latest Forum Posts