Non-motoring > Thieves paradise? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 15

Thieves paradise? - Crankcase
How about if I said, hey, let's open a supermarket with no checkouts, and people just take what they want and walk out. And it's ok, we can track it all by ceiling cameras and charge them later. What can possibly go wrong?

You'd think I was bonkers, surely?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42769096
 Thieves paradise? - Cliff Pope
It's how shopping always used to be. The shopkeep knew his customers, they bought stuff on account, he sent a monthly bill. My mother rang a weekly order to the grocer and he brought it round. No cash involved.
As a child I remember my parents never paid for anything on the spot. Everynow and again we called in at places and settled the account. When I first started driving I bought petrol and put it on my mother's account.

This just seems an extension of the principle using modern technology. A bit like automatic road-pricing.
 Thieves paradise? - CGNorwich
Sounds a very middle class lifestyle. I don’t think it was like that for many. We certainly didnt have an account down the local Co-Op, just a divvy number which I still remember.i
 Thieves paradise? - DP
The Co-Op on the estate I grew up on used to have people walk in and help themselves, but there was certainly no prior arrangement or subsequent payment....
 Thieves paradise? - Zero
Woolworths for us. It was next to the school bus stop. Cant ever have made any money.
 Thieves paradise? - tyrednemotional
...s'funny how some things stick. I can still remember our divvy number, though I can't ever personally have used it.

My grandfather was a Co-Op manager for a good few years (though long before I remember). My father always use to relate how he used to accompany him on trips out in a pony and trap to collect account payments.

I certainly wouldn't have said it was a middle-class environment - he opened and managed a new store in a pit village, and before the shop was ready, they had temporary premises actually at the pit! ;-)
 Thieves paradise? - zippy
Knowing my luck, I’d be billed for caviar when I purchased sardines! And how would you prove it after you left the store?
 Thieves paradise? - smokie
Isn't this what RFID technology is for? Not quite the same I know, but at my local library they have replaced people with machines to check in/out books. You just put your pile of books on the machine and it reads the lot, together, instantly. Maybe you wheel your trolley through a magic arch and it double checks against what it has kept count of, and alarms sound if there is a discrepancy.
 Thieves paradise? - Ambo
There are several other paradisal aspects for thieves, for example shoplifting and burglary have turned into virtual non-crimes. As regards the latter, I have been taking a close look at my entry security arrangements. Thieves are said to use fishing rods to collect keys from inside houses, via letter flaps. Maybe they have devices to turn keys and turnbuckles and to manipulate bolts. Does anyone know?
 Thieves paradise? - DP
>> Maybe they have devices to turn keys and turnbuckles and
>> to manipulate bolts. Does anyone know?

A pair of molegrips can deal with most Euro cylinders in less than 10 seconds apparently. A set of anti-snap locks is a good countermeasure.
 Thieves paradise? - Zero
As regards the latter, I have been taking a close look at
>> my entry security arrangements. Thieves are said to use fishing rods to collect keys from
>> inside houses, via letter flaps. Maybe they have devices to turn keys and turnbuckles and
>> to manipulate bolts. Does anyone know?

Common sense is called for at point of entry. Like make sure its well lit and visible, no cover for a burglar to work under, Doors with multipoint locks that look solid, indications of a burglar alarm.

Weird tools manipulated through letter boxes are not your primary concern.
 Thieves paradise? - Ted
. You really have to look at your own security these days. No one else will do it for you. The Dibble won't ! Being ex-fuzz, I know something about security at home. You've got to stand back, think like a burglar and take it from there. Spend the money if needed. My garage/workshop has a Kryptonite van lock on the double doors. The hasp, which also shields the lock, is fitted with coach bolts through metal plates inside. £40 plus when I bought it ! THe patio window has 5 locks and bolts inside and a galvanized steel bar outside padlocked to a Rawlanchor.

Outside doors are all multilocked, the front door being composite. A light is on all night in the porch and by the backdoor. I've been burgled in the past and learned from it. In fact one climbed a drainpipe and got in through an open transom. I woke when I heard him on the landing. He didn't get anything. Sadly, he fell down stairs in his rush to get away and broke a leg.

You have to despair, a local reported having his shed burgled and a thousand quid bike stolen. He said the thief undid the screws on the hinges. Just a few quid would have bought half a dozen 6mm coach bolts ! Probably had a padlock and hasp from the pound shop.

Everyone ignores alarms round here but a dummy box might help. I also have a couple of old dashcams suckered to the windows next to the two outer doors and a Beware of the Dog sign at the back...all cheap and enough to make chummy go next door instead.
 Thieves paradise? - Dog
>>Sadly, he fell down stairs in his rush to get away and broke a leg.

Pull the other one Teddy, knowlmean ;)

>>Beware of the Dog

Honestly, I'm not that bad, I just need a Pat on the head and a belly rub now and again.

I have 3 x mancaves - all unlocked 24/7. Been like that for nigh-on 7 years now (watch out, watch out!)

Thieves paradise? - Dutchie
We used to have the Spar across the road my mother payed them once a week.Bread and milk was delivered.We use to have a tiny dustbin in comparison to these days.

The amount of rubbish what is wasted now is beyond belief no wonder there is plastic everywhere.

We didn't need a bulglar alarm the dog made sure of that.A large Keeshond always barking wasn't scared to take a lump out of your body.

We live here in a cul de sac and the majority of us keep a eye out.I noticed a van no markings parked outside our house the other day.Family across from us bought a new campervan at a guess not less than 50 grand.I had a look outside and they drove off.Might be nothing or they where looking for the next job..
 Thieves paradise? - Dog
>>We didn't need a bulglar alarm the dog made sure of that.A large Keeshond always barking wasn't scared to take a lump out of your body.

Ah, a raw meat and bones diet - very good for some dogs. Think about it, would you rather eat some dried kibble, or a nice piece of sir's loin??
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 27 Jan 18 at 13:54
 Thieves paradise? - Fenlander
>>> A large Keeshond

Very appropriate to your username Dutchie. We've had two, best dogs we've ever owned or been around.
Latest Forum Posts