Non-motoring > Granada / Alhambra Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 32

Granada / Alhambra - zippy
I have been toying with the idea of going to Granada for a few days in the spring to see the Alhambra Palace.

Has anyone been, got any tips or recommendations?

Thanks.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 21 Jan 18 at 16:59
 Granada / Alhambra - Haywain
"Has anyone been, got any tips or recommendations?"

Yes - we went a while ago - 24 April 2003 to be precise; it's well worth a visit. We had made an attempt to visit the Alhambra the previous year when we were staying in Nerja, but found out that the wait would be about 2 weeks to get tickets (from a bank, iirc), by which time, we would be back home. Apparently, much advance block-booking was being done by tour companies.

The following year, we were planning a holiday in Spain again, so we booked on-line for the Alahambra - and I think (so does Mrs H) that we booked about 6 months in advance. The process wasn't as painful as I thought it might be.

As this was 15 years ago, the situation re booking may have changed, but the Alhambra will be as beautiful and worth a visit as it was then. By the way, even in April, it was very busy.
 Granada / Alhambra - Zero
Yes I have been, two years ago

Tip one, GO!

Tip 2 BOOK! tickets.alhambra-patronato.es/en/

Its a full day, dont expect to do anything else. Wear comfy shoes

Tip 3 Stay locally, I used this place, lots of people have on our recommendation, no complaints
www.hotelguadalupe.es/en/

You can then get into the Alhambra early and be ahead of the crush.

Granada town is down the hill, its an easy walk in, get the bus back.

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 21 Jan 18 at 17:18
 Granada / Alhambra - Bromptonaut
Mrs B and I went in June 1985. We got the early bus in from our campsite at La Zubia and just bought tickets on the day. How the world has moved on.....

Well worth it though, the gardens with wheeling Swifts, various plantings and water remain in our must do again one day list.

Cordoba was well worthwhile too.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 21 Jan 18 at 17:42
 Granada / Alhambra - sooty123
Never been, somewhere I'd like to go though. €14 per ticket seems very reasonable as well.
 Granada / Alhambra - rtj70
We went there end of March 2014 and got the tickets on the day. We were staying about an hour away and the ticket we got meant we had a bit of time to kill so went into Granada to explore.

Even in March is was very busy and my wife was disappointed that this spoilt the experience there a little. Spent half a day there.

We didn't do Cordoba but kind of wish we did that instead of Granada.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 21 Jan 18 at 18:37
 Granada / Alhambra - CGNorwich
The Alhambra Palace Gardens featured on this week’s episode of Monty Don’s Paradise Gardens. Worth a look.
 Granada / Alhambra - bathtub tom
I stayed in Nerja and hired a Cinquecento which we used to drive up to Alhambra.

It was a toss up to either return via the 'valley of the moons' road (I think that's what it's called) or the Sierra Nevada mountains which had snow on them (in October).
We chose the former and didn't regret it. A fantastic road that the Moors used when they were driven out.
 Granada / Alhambra - legacylad
Definitely go.
Several years ago I visited with a friend whilst staying at his apartment in Benalmadena. It was a crack of dawn start, about a 90 min drive from memory, and we were queuing up when it opened. Beat the crowds and worth seeing.
Even better than the Alhambra in Bradford
 Granada / Alhambra - Manatee

>> Even better than the Alhambra in Bradford

I love the Alhambra. Sadly, I haven't been there since c. 1992. Is the furrin one really better than this?

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Alhambra%2C_Bradford.jpg
 Granada / Alhambra - legacylad
Course it isn’t
No cheap curries, drugs or hookers in the vicinity
Stupid boy.
 Granada / Alhambra - tyrednemotional
>> Course it isn’t
>> No cheap curries, drugs or hookers in the vicinity
>> Stupid boy.
>>
and less than €14 each.........
 Granada / Alhambra - Hard Cheese
We used to talk about my father in law owning a large estate in Wiltshire without always mentioning that it was a 1982 Granada 2.0 LX ...
 Granada / Alhambra - helicopter
Definite go.Absolutely the most beautiful gardens and Alcazar.

Went there 1985 and stayed in a local motel when our son was around five. We just walked in and got tickets on the day and as I recall they were valid for two days.

We also drove up into the Sierra Nevada mountains and the drive and views were spectacular....I think it is about time I went back.
 Granada / Alhambra - Mapmaker
Not been, but do recommend Cordoba. And Seville. And Cadiz. And Jerez. And Sanlucar de Barrameda. Ronda. Arcos de la Frontera. Vejer de la Frontera. Great part of the world for a touring holiday. And the Atlantic coast was a joy too.
 Granada / Alhambra - Roger.
We went to the Alhambra twice, each time pre-booking via a bank. We used BBVA (if it's still in business - I don't know). Not all banks offer the booking facility.
Cordoba is a must, I think, if only to visit the Mezquita.
Absolutely awesome.
The caves at Nerja are worth a visit, as is Jerez de la Frontera. Many of the sherry bodegas offer tours - we did the Sandeman one, where we fell in love with a nice sherry - Dry Don.
Sadly not on general, supermarket, sale in the UK.
Visit Ronda for one of the the oldest (non-functioning I hasten to add) bull rings in Spain: the so-called New Bridge and the fabulous views from the cliff top. Parking is difficult in Ronda's old town: there is a (pay) car park at the top of the old town's main thoroughfare.
 Granada / Alhambra - neiltoo
Just to support all of the above recommendations.

We're off to Benalmadena for a week with three further nights in Malaga in February for our annual dose of winter sun. We normally get down there in January and have been there over New Year and "Tre Re" (three kings - Epiphany)
Malaga has always floated our boat, and over the years has greatly improved the infrastructure and art museums etching. Great tapas.
We hire a car for Benal, then do without in Malaga.
You can walk miles along the coast to the east, and quickly find the villages and restaurants that only the Spanish use.
If you want bullfighting, then you're in the right place. Most exciting way to spend an evening I have ever found.

First time I went was in Sanlucar, where one of the top chaps was in action. It's like watching ballet.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 22 Jan 18 at 14:41
 Granada / Alhambra - CGNorwich
Never found ballet particularly exciting.
 Granada / Alhambra - Crankcase
Not a fan of the bleeding ballet either.
I saw Manuel Benitez Perez - El Cordobes - fight in La Monumental, Barcelonas bullring, in the early to mid 60s. Its a spectacle and drama like no other, I loved every minute, a good fight, cant remember how many ears he got. I can still remember all the protocol and procedure that goes with it.

He was top of the bill, there was also some other non entity matador, and the crowd got violent when the Picador half killed the bull before he got to it and had to leave under a barrage of cushions and rotten food.

Totally unacceptable by todays standards, even more so for a 12- 14 year old boy, but glad I saw it.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Jan 18 at 16:00
 Granada / Alhambra - Duncan
>>and had to leave under a barrage of cushions and rotten food.
>>

Where did the audience get the rotten food from?

Do they take it with them, just in case - or is it available to purchase from the stadium authorities?
Food purchased outside, cushions purchased inside. The crowd come to see an artist at work with a lively bull, and if he is not artistic they expect the bull to be ripping his guts out, not a half dead carcass
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Jan 18 at 19:29
 Granada / Alhambra - Hard Cheese
Cruel and barbaric sport, always has been and always will be.
>>Totally unacceptable by todays standards, even more so for a 12- 14 year old boy, but glad I saw it.

Don't let Brompton see you telling other cultures how to conduct their lives...
 Granada / Alhambra - Roger.
In our 10 years in Spain we never went, or considered going, to a bull "fight".
They are shown on Spanish TV - if we stumbled on one, we quickly turned it off.
Nasty stuff.
 Granada / Alhambra - zippy
I can't abide cruelty to animals, though I acknowledge hypocrisy of being a meat eater.

I wonder if people are cruel to animals, how much a stretch it is to be cruel to humans as well!?
 Granada / Alhambra - Pat
Exactly Zippy.

Pat
>> >>Totally unacceptable by todays standards, even more so for a 12- 14 year old boy,
>> but glad I saw it.
>>
>> Don't let Brompton see you telling other cultures how to conduct their lives...

The other culture think its unacceptable by today's standards as well, audience numbers are dwindling,
>>The other culture think its unacceptable by today's standards as well, audience numbers are dwindling

They may have reduced a little, but the number of attendees is huge in comparison with football match attendance in the UK.

About 8.5% of the Spanish population attend a bullfight annually.

elpais.com/elpais/2015/08/26/inenglish/1440584832_101530.html

According to this link 2.85% of the UK population attend a football match annually.

i.imgur.com/NUhL9SU.png

Doubtless footy-in-the-park is excluded, much as people don't have back-yard bullfights.

I too am very much against animal cruelty. These bulls, however, are pampered for the whole of their lives and have arguably the best welfare of any group of animals in the world.
 Granada / Alhambra - Lygonos
Apart from the day at the end where you are speared repeatedly to near exhaustion, stabbed to death by Ronald McDonald with a sword, and then have your b0llocks served up as a tasty meal for the gentry.
>> Apart from the day at the end where you are speared repeatedly to near exhaustion,
>> stabbed to death by Ronald McDonald with a sword, and then have your b0llocks served
>> up as a tasty meal for the gentry.

You get a sports car or two named after you.
Compare it with the life of your dairy cow, or beef cattle. I know which I'd rather be.
Latest Forum Posts