Non-motoring > Airline seat pricing Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

Airline seat pricing - legacylad
Almost time for the annual winter escape to the land of blossom, cheap Rioja and fizzy lager. A single outbound flight is £98 (+ bag)but if I buy the same flight as part of a return then it reduces to £87.
Currently the inbound flight is £135 (+bag) hence me thinking of only buying a One Way, and staying either longer ( one week later it’s £54) or hoping it reduces and buy the return whilst overseas.
Another First World problem....
 Airline seat pricing - The Melting Snowman
It's a holiday, why worry about what is a modest cost. Buy the return ticket now and enjoy yourself.
 Airline seat pricing - Bromptonaut
If you're flexible on your return dates and have a choice of airlines (Ryanair and Jet 2 from LBA?) book the outbound and extend your stay.
 Airline seat pricing - No FM2R
So £222 vs £141 incl. an extra week wherever vs. £98 plus a gamble on the return.

£81 is not enough to for me to change the length of my holiday + or - 1 week, especially since staying the week would include additional expenses that you wouldn't face at home.

So that decision seems clear to me - which do you fancy doing? If saving money is all that matters then don't go.

The buying one way and then a gamble of saving money, losing money, seats not being available etc. etc. on the off chance of being able to save what seems to be a maximum of £81 would seem absolutely nuts to me. In bound flights can be remarkably difficult to get at some times.

So, does it not come down to how long do you want to go for, and then buy tickets for that?
Apologies. There was some obfuscation in my post.
I’m not complaining about the flight prices per se...just wondering why a single outbound flight is £12 more than the outbound cost if I buy a return at the same time.
It’s the pricing formula that intrigues me
Some friends flew out last weekend, others tomorrow, and I’ve booked my accommodation for 6 weeks so will definitely be going....I might invite the gf out to join me for a further week if the accommodation is available @ week 7. Its only £32 night in total for a 2 bed bungalow, so cheap as chips.
Car hire from Alicante almost ready to be booked....presumably oversupply means prices drop dramatically nearer the date. Currently €62 full to full, 2 drivers, for 20 days. I’ll book the additional 22 days whilst I’m out there, but booking a straight 42 days is ridiculously expensive. Another pricing anomaly.
No hardship having to return the car to the airport after 20 days, then possibly drive away in the same car! A Saturday night in Alicante is always enjoyable, nibbling tapas, sitting outside watching the world go by in the old town.
 Airline seat pricing - No FM2R
I know this, I consulted for Delta for a while. But its complex and I'm mid BBQ & Gin. So come back tomorrow and I'll have a stab.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 20 Jan 18 at 22:35
Enjoy. What gin? Wish I’d bought shares in Fever Tree a few years ago..
Latest Forum Posts