Non-motoring > Changing Bank Accounts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 109

Changing Bank Accounts - Zero
After 44 years with Nat West, it has now decided to close my local branch. With it goes any further reason to stay with an organisation that has been a complete shambles since 1989.

Don't get me wrong, I am an extensive internet bank user, and their portal is for the most part good and in 44 years they have only FU'd my money twice, But my loyalty has dwindled to zero and Santander offer interest on current bank accounts.

So, anyone moved? did you do the "big bang" approach using the bank moving service, or did you phase gradually.

I am financially flexible enough to do the later and is my preferred option at this point.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Falkirk Bairn
Better the devil you know!
 Changing Bank Accounts - zippy
Santander's call centres are in the UK.

I switched to them with no hassle 5 years ago and earned about £2,500 in interest and direct debit bonuses on their 1,2,3 account. The interest rate is 1.5% so not brilliant. I think the account costs £5 per month. They did the switching for me. It went smoothly.

NatWest's (RBS) systems have gone down a few times over the last few years leaving people without access to funds.

>> interest rate is 1.5% so
>> not brilliant.
As Nat Wests current account cost £5 a month and offers no interest, by comparison its brilliant.

>> NatWest's (RBS) systems have gone down a few times over the last few years leaving
>> people without access to funds.

Indeed as intimated by my "shambles" comment, its management has repeatedly been found wanting in every aspect of running a bank.

My branch is actually well used always a customer or two in there, it is staffed by two cashiers every day, has a bank manager, a personal banker, and an advisor. I use it once or twice a month, and is next to a very good coffee shop. Its closure will damage the local footfall and the subsequent effect on local businesses, and it feels to me like they are saying "we have screwed up, here is where you suffer so we can cut costs to recoup the money we wasted" Irrational I know, but its a good enough reason for me. FU NatWest.

I'll do the phased approach, dump a wedge of cash in it, move an income stream and a couple of DD's into it, test their on-line portal and see how we go.
 Changing Bank Accounts - rtj70
>> As Nat Wests current account cost £5 a month and offers no interest, by comparison its brilliant.

Santander charge £5/month for the 1-2-3 account.
Yeees I know, and as explained they also offer interest, nat west do not.
 Changing Bank Accounts - No FM2R
I change bank accounts from time to time, it usually coincides with a country change.

Do not, under any circumstances, take the big bang approach. Great if it works, but an absolutely FU if it goes wrong.

Prove the new bank account first and then move stuff as is convenient.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Bromptonaut
I'm a Santander Select/123 customer now but we changed over around 1987/8 when they were still Abbey National Building Society. No big bang option then but direct debits were in their infancy and sorting out the handful we had at time manually was no problem.

These days I'd probably go for 'big bang' provided I was in a position to monitor it by internet banking.

Quite happy with Santander's performance generally. Nearly moved my account a few years ago when they started charging £1.50 a pop for foreign use but got around that with their 'Zero' credit card. They were pretty good when we were victims of a fraudster who emptied our linked current/savings 24 hours before we were due to travel for a holiday on the Western Isles. Let me extend overdraft foc and draw £800 in cash. Less impressed when discussing theft by phone from our holiday base on Harris when they suggested I visit local branch. Nearest was Inverness (hour plus drive/3hour ferry/another long drive). Idea of such a thing seemed beyond the ken of the lass I was speaking to.

One other downside is they use a texted one time pass code to legitimise new internet banking payees and intend to extend process for a limited number of debit cardtransactions, replacing verified by visa. Bit of a bummer if you're out of signal (and several local shopping centres appear to faraday cages)
>One other downside is they use a texted one time pass code to legitimise new internet banking payees

Yes they do. And if you forget that, and now live in another country, and don't actually use that phone at the moment nor, if one is honest, actually know where it is, then it gets very b***** annoying.

However, that to one side I rather like the process. Makes me feel safer, anyway.

As for out of signal, really? I live in the back of beyond and even here I very rarely lose the signal. In fact I can only think of one place and that's in the middle of a forest and unpopulated. Surely in the UK it can't be a significant issue?

Edit: But I agree, I find their performance very satisfactory, especially internationally.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 15 Jan 18 at 13:22
>> As for out of signal, really? I live in the back of beyond and even
>> here I very rarely lose the signal. In fact I can only think of one
>> place and that's in the middle of a forest and unpopulated. Surely in the UK
>> it can't be a significant issue?

I'm on Orange/EE and find quite significant 'no signal' spots. The aforementioned holiday cottage in Scotland is one. The Grosvenor Centre in Northampton is another and the Tesco superstore at Hunsbury a third. Weak or non-existent on several Caravan and Motorhome Club sites too.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Haywain
"So, anyone moved?"

I moved from Natwest to Alliance & Leicester (now Santander) about 10 years ago. We converted to 123 current accounts (one joint, one for me, one for Mrs H) which gave us 60k on instant access together with 3% interest. Alas, this is now 1.5% interest, but still better than anything else. Their online banking works fine for us.

At one time, Santander had a bad name for customer service and they were obviously under pressure to turn things around. Once, during a transfer process, they managed to drain our current account. I immediately rang their complaints dept - and they realised instantly what had happened and put it right. They then gave me a fiver for the phone cost and a half-case of wine for the inconvenience - none of which I had asked for.

In the original conversion from Natwest, A&L cocked up when the young lady told me that "They would take care of everything". What she should have said was "We take care of everything EXCEPT standing orders". After they had docked a £30 charge from my account, I pointed out the error and they refunded me immediately.

If you have any SOs, it might be worth clarifying if the bank will deal with them as well; it is possible that things may have changed by now.
>> At one time, Santander had a bad name for customer service and they were obviously
>> under pressure to turn things around.

They moved their contact centre to India using cheapskate telephony. Absolute disaster. Staff were just script jockeys and had little authority to actually do anything. They also seemed to have little knowledge of UK life so telling them in advance I was about to spend £3500 on a rail season ticket and please would they note that so it didn't get declined at the window was a challenge!

Moved them back after a few years and they're now in Belfast, Sheffield and Liverpool.
 Changing Bank Accounts - smokie
Not moved as such, but SWMBO moved her salary from our joint account to another joint account with Barclays some years ago. Seems OK. Also we bunged some money in Santander to benefit from the interest but they have now reduced the rate so we are looking to shift it again.

If I was changing I'd also have a good look at some of the new-style banks like Starling. I expect they are still a bit too new to go for but the accounts have features which would probably appeal to an early adopter like me. www.starlingbank.com/
 Changing Bank Accounts - Hard Cheese
My bank is the West Byfleet branch of Barclays, I haven't been in there for 16 years and I haven't been into any Barclays branch for five years or more.

I also have a Santander account.

Wife has personal and business accounts with Nat West, our local branch closed recently though it's been no loss, we can pay in through the PO.

In short is the fact that your branch is closing reason to change these days?

I generally prefer the Barclays portal to the Nat West one though my experience of the Santander one is too limited to form an opinion.

I do feel loyal to Barclays after 40 plus years as there have been very few issues and when you contact them they make you feel valued.

>> In short is the fact that your branch is closing reason to change these days?

Yes it is, if you read my copious ex-plantations about the why. You didnt did you.
>>
>> >> In short is the fact that your branch is closing reason to change these
>> days?
>>
>> Yes it is, if you read my copious ex-plantations about the why. You didnt did
>> you.
>>
>>

You can be irksome, yes you said "with it goes any further reason to stay l" and "irrational i know, but it's a good enough reason" my point is that branch closure alone is not a good reason to change banks as so little banking involves branches these days.

I thought that I would move my branch when I moved from West Byfleet 16 years ago though there has never been any need.

I don't understand;

Zero says he wants to change, that for him the trigger is branch closure, and you're telling him that's not a good enough reason?

Z says that the branch closure is the catalyst for him to move banks, I am simply saying that IME it makes FA difference where your actual branch is these days and therefore I would not change banks simply because of the branch closing.
>>
>> You can be irksome, yes you said "with it goes any further reason to stay
>> l" and "irrational i know, but it's a good enough reason" my point is that
>> branch closure alone is not a good reason to change banks as so little banking
>> involves branches these days.

You missed " I use it once or twice a month, and is next to a very good coffee shop. Its closure will damage the local footfall and the subsequent effect on local businesses, and it feels to me like they are saying "we have screwed up, here is where you suffer so we can cut costs to recoup the money we wasted" Irrational I know, but its a good enough reason for me. FU NatWest.

And you missed the bits where I said they have screwed up as an organisation and you missed the bit where I agreed their computer systems are rubbish, and they dont pay interest on currents accounts and, and and.....

You dont read, do you, not at all, not even a tiny bit.

>> I thought that I would move my branch when I moved from West Byfleet 16
>> years ago though there has never been any need.

My branch was in St Johns Wood, I opened it because it was the first bank I saw in 1973 with a pay cheque in my hand. I moved it nearby in 1989 because I hadn't been back to St Johns Wood in 16 years. It felt quite posh all the same to have "St Johns Wood" on your cheques.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 15 Jan 18 at 15:48
My NatWest account is with Belgravia branch. Now that's posh!! :-)

(I opened it when I worked in Grosvenor Place, in a building which which overlooked the back of Buck Palace - we could see the garden parties and stuff from the second floor up. They closed that branch a long time back, and consolidated into a "banking centre" in Victoria St, but the branch name remains, presumably cos some people are impressed by it)
 Changing Bank Accounts - Duncan
>> Santander offer interest on current bank
>> accounts.

My understanding is that Santander FU more frequently than other High Street banks. Their admin is not good - apparently.
>>My understanding is that Santander FU more frequently than other High Street banks.

I am not an intensive bank account user and I only do a few, unchanging, transactions actually in the UK, so my usage is not typical.

However, virtually all banks FU international dealings and so far, and its been a few years, Santander haven't.
>> >> Santander offer interest on current bank
>> >> accounts.
>>
>> My understanding is that Santander FU more frequently than other High Street banks. Their admin
>> is not good - apparently.

It was the case, and I suffered from this a bit when I had an Abbey National mortgage when they got swallowed by Santander.

I think it was a case of too fast an expansion, taking on too much and trying to outsource support of the massively increased problem base,.

However, my recent experiences with them, firstly with a power of attorney, then with probate was exemplary and handled very well in face to face meetings at the nearest branch.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Roger.
In the last seven years I've been with Yorkshire Bank, HSBC, First Direct and now have been with Halifax for an unusually long time, since March 2014. (All standard current accounts)
Apart from the YB, (opened from abroad) each switch has been for cash incentives, plus a leaving bung from FD "as I was not satisfied with their service!". I've recently switched our modest savings account from Halifax to Ulster Bank, as their interest rate was MUCH better than the Halifax's 0.25%
I have no need for a fancy account and as my wife is fanatically opposed to constant switching banks (old fashioned" loyalty/you need a long relationship with your ban", carp), I'll probably stick with the consumer orientated Halifax, who have a big and busy branch in Worksop.
Every switch has been absolutely painless.
 Changing Bank Accounts - movilogo
It works easier if you open the a/c in new bank first and then move stuff over time.

This should work even if new bank giving you opening a/c bonus. At most you need to pay ££ or more every month and set up 1-2 DD/SO - which you can set up manually.
 Changing Bank Accounts - PeterS
>>
>> My understanding is that Santander FU more frequently than other High Street banks. Their admin
>> is not good - apparently.
>>

FWIW, I’ve had a 123 account for around 10 years and have never had a problem, and I reckon if you count the cash back on DDs and the credit card, plus the current account interest and the ‘regular saver’ accounts which are easy to open online whenever they’re launched, I’ve had at least £3k of ‘benefit’ in that time for doing nothing. I’ve also got accounts with HSBC, who do make the odd mistake but sort quickly and compensate (though I’d rather they didn’t make the mistake in the first place...) and Barclays who’ll never admit to a problem. But all my interactions with Santander are either web or app based. I’ve never needed to speak to them, so I can’t comment on their phone banking.
>> . I’ve never needed to speak to them, so
>> I can’t comment on their phone banking.

They're pretty good on phone now they've 'onshored' the service.

Just before Xmas I had to transfer a significant sum, part of our late mother's estate, to my sister. Too much for internet banking but they were excellent in sorting it out over the telephone.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Focal Point
No problems with Santander. I've had a 123 current account with them for years, as has Mrs FP. Telephone contact has been minimal, but OK. No mistakes with direct debits.

I don't like and don't trust banks, but this bunch has been as good as they can be.
"I don't like and don't trust banks, but this bunch has been as good as they can be."

I've said it before, and I think it's generally borne out by the comments on here, that Santander have 'done a Skoda' with their brand.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Crankcase
Another Santander customer here. Been fine. Yes, they send a code by text, which I like, but yes, we have the world's worst phone signal in this village, so I always have to run about upstairs waving the phone over my head to try and get something to happen. The neighbours don't talk any more.

Don't forget they only pay interest on the first 20k, but will allow up to three accounts (two times sole accounts and one joint, if that reflects your family setup). So you can get 1.5% on 60k with them.

As to the original question, yes, I did the transfer the soft way (in fact after ten years I still have the old bank account as well, "just in case").

Well the deed is done, online, they have given me a 2k initial overdraft based on the scant financial info provided via the online form, I shall up that later if and when I get the account running in full.
An overdraft is a useful "insurance", but do you ever use it?

Its rarely a good idea.
>> An overdraft is a useful "insurance", but do you ever use it?
>>
>> Its rarely a good idea.

No, of course I dont use it, but as i dont keep all my monies in a current account, its useful for emergencies, 5k will cover most eventualities, which is what I have now.
 Changing Bank Accounts - BiggerBadderDave
"5k will cover most eventualities"

Your funeral?
>> "5k will cover most eventualities"
>>
>> Your funeral?

Should do, Just. Would easy cover yours, you don't need an "extra height coffin extension" like I do
Made me laugh
I'd rather spend it all before I croak. They can dump me in a landfill.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Robin O'Reliant
>> I'd rather spend it all before I croak. They can dump me in a landfill.
>>
>>
My instructions to Mrs O'Reliant are that if I go before her I do not want a funeral. Straight from hospital or home to the crem in a van, cardboard coffin, no service and definitely no mourners. I would rather the family were not told till it was all over. I arrived with no fuss and I want to depart in the same manner.
 Changing Bank Accounts - CGNorwich
It's not really about what you want though !is it? You will be dead and beyond caring. Have you asked is that what your family want? a proper funeral is a source of comfort to many and brings a sense of closure.
I entirely agree. You'll be dead, you won't matter and nor will your thoughts and feelings.

Your family though, will still be alive and still have feelings. Their call, surely?

Unless your feelings while you're alive are more important than their feelings when you're dead.
>>
>> Your family though, will still be alive and still have feelings. Their call, surely?
>>
>> Unless your feelings while you're alive are more important than their feelings when you're dead.
>>
Many people give instructions on how they want their funeral conducted, those are mine. I don't want Mrs O'R wasting money on something I find unimportant at a time she'll need it most. I get on with my family but geography means I don't see them from one decade to the next, they can remember me by giving a donation to whatever charity is involved with whatever I snuff it from rather than waste it travelling the width of the country. I'm not a Christian so the religious aspect of it all means nothing to me.
Why is it your decision what Mrs R o'R or indeed the rest of your family, do or do not do after you're dead?

Surely the priority is their comfort, whatever they choose?

Still, none of my business I guess.

>> Many people give instructions on how they want their funeral conducted, those are mine. I
>> don't want Mrs O'R wasting money on something I find unimportant at a time she'll
>> need it most.

Cheap funerals article in't Guardian:-

tinyurl.com/yaymyze5
 Changing Bank Accounts - sooty123
Agreed, funerals are very much for the living not the dead.
>> >> I arrived with no fuss and I want to depart
>> in the same manner.
>>

I'd bet money you arrived with a shed load of fuss
My wife (she's Polish) and all her family would want a burial as it's their tradition and custom whereas I would prefer a cremation. We've discussed this quite a lot since friends and family do seem to be dropping dead frequently of late.

Whatever she chooses for me, I suppose it doesn't matter anymore, but this is my song and this is playing at my funeral. I insist. Partly because worms do eat you in the end, partly because it's amusing and I love this band, but mostly it will upset people. I won't rest till I've upset all the mourners.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvzArq5n6B8
I'd prefer this -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ESf7dQCIg
From family in the funeral business, most popular by some way is sinatra's i did my way. Wouldn't be my choice but it's very popular.
I reckon New York, New York would do... Start spreading the news, I’m leaving today... ;)
Yeah but you are never going to be top of the heap now are you
Haha that’s true :)
My funeral song is this www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgumG8abES0

Great bluesy swing song with very relevant words!!

SWMBO has rejected it, saying it's too miserable.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 15 Jan 18 at 23:15
 Changing Bank Accounts - helicopter
How about' Smoke gets in your eyes' ..
"How about' Smoke gets in your eyes' .."

Suggested at 21:54 yesterday. Post possibly obscured by smoke ;-)
 Changing Bank Accounts - helicopter
I had not read your post which was a bit further down the thread Haywain....it proves that great minds think alike😊
"it proves that great minds think alike"

Mrs H is the great mind. I want 'Turn, turn, turn' by the Byrds - played loudly. It is a great poem and sums it all up and, as it's taken from Ecclesiastes 3, it is my one concession to religion.
Re music to play as the coffin sways it's way into the flames:

"The drugs don't work"

"Who wants to live forever"

"What are you doing for the rest of your life?"

Changing Bank Accounts - Dog
Howls about *The End* by The Doors.
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 16 Jan 18 at 13:19
>> It is a great poem and sums it all up and, as it's
>> taken from Ecclesiastes 3, it is my one concession to religion.

I love the Byrds music - Dylan's songs sound so much better rendered by people who can actually sing :-P

I'd never realised there was a biblical reference in Turn Turn Turn until Ecclesiastes 3 was read at Mrs B's Aunt's funeral in 2011.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 16 Jan 18 at 18:25
 Changing Bank Accounts - Ted

My chosen music after any ceremony will be Flanders & Swan ' The Slow Train ' Reflecting my love of railways and the fact that the place I came to at 6 months and have lived ever since is mentioned in the first verse.

Strangely enough, A CD that arrived yesterday from Amazon might well do to go in to. It's missing piece , recently found and recorded, by Stravinskky. Called ' Chant Funebre ', it will be appropriate. Not even unwrapped it yet. I've challenged the kids and parnters to try and get rid of my cadaver as cheaply as possible. SiL has a dark blue Berlingo van so there's a start ! No religion in this house so Humanist....like me ole mam had.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Dog
>>My chosen music after any ceremony will be Flanders & Swan ' The Slow Train ' Reflecting my love of railways and the fact that the place I came to at 6 months and have lived ever since is mentioned in the first verse

Charlton come hardy?

>> Charlton come hardy?

Chorlton-cum-Hardy !.....................The North-West's Arcadia !
>>
 Changing Bank Accounts - legacylad
I changed from HSBC to Santander when they began giving 3% interest on their 123 Account. Aa very straightforward transfer, no problems. There is no branch of Santander in my locality, but as most of the banking I do is online it’s not a problem.
Commission free cash withdrawals from ATMs in Spain, and a decent exchange rate. It’s not worth changing for £150 new account as I’m happy with the service, and as I spend a few months in Spain each year it’s just easier to continue as is...now reduced credit interest, monthly fees on both current account and credit card account, but not worth bothering about in the grand scheme of things. The interest and cash back more than covers the monthly fees.
Mrs H wants 'Smoke gets in your eyes' - Bryan Ferry version.
"My instructions to Mrs O'Reliant are that if I go before her I do not want a funeral. Straight from hospital or home to the crem in a van, cardboard coffin, no service and definitely no mourners. "

Apart form anything else have you thought through the practicalities?

Say you die at home. She will have will have to buy a cardboard coffin On line is your best bet so it might take a few days to arrive. I'd buy one now and keep it in the garage to save the hassle of googling in time of grief.

Next problem is storage. I'm assuming whe won't be using undertakers and most crematoriums have a two week waiting list so unless she is going to embalm you some sort of refrigeration will be required. A large chest freezer would be OK but that will require folding you up a bit. Of course you will you will need to be de-frosted to go in the cardboard coffin. Not sure how waterproof they are though. Probably best buy a body bag along with the coffin.

Might be a bit of a job for one. The neighours will not doubt help though

Next she will need to hire a van. A short wheel base transit should do but best to keep quiet about the intended use. I'm sure van hire companies have some sort of extra charge. They do for most things.

When she gets to the crematorium after unloading she will need tot tranport the body to the entrance. Best take a sack barrow.

Changing Bank Accounts - R.P.
I've run with Lloyds and Smile in the main for many years. These days a legacy of a previous life really, one wage went into Lloyds and the other to Smile, all DDs and SOs went from Lloyds (and still do in the main) and Smile was spending money. My circumstances now are very different, but I still keep to this model but split between my pension and other miscellaneous income. I also opened one of the Santander 123 accounts and take full advantage of that accounts. Seems a bit cumbersome but I only use the Smile for spends and ignore the other two and let them tick over (The Lloyds account is a feeder account for the Santander, I get a lot of benefits from the Lloyds account for a fiver a month, including breakdown, mobile and travel insurance and also six free cinema tickets. All in all about as good as it gets. I haven't set foot in a real bank in months....
 Changing Bank Accounts - Fullchat
I changed from HSBC to Santander spurred by Mrs FC trying to get a paying in book via a real jobsworth whom she eventually told to stuff it.

Went seamlessly other than a HSBC savings account in my name with a not inconsiderable amount of cash in it. As the HSBC Current Account shut down all of a suddenly I lost the ability to electronically move money from the savings anywhere. Took about 4 visits and 6 weeks before finally the money was transferred into another Santander account I created.
Aged mother in law very kindly gave us a cheque in early December for Christmas. She doesn't do electronic banking and never will.

As there is no physical bank within miles, never mind one of the right sort, it had to wait some weeks before I could actually get to a physical branch of anything I could actually use, and that was actually open, to pay it in. Nearest is 12 miles, in town, where I go rarely now.

I'm just amazed and pleased we have still, at the moment, got a very good tiny post office in the village (and an entirely fantastic surgery/pharmacy).
 Changing Bank Accounts - Pat
>>got a very good tiny post office in the village<<

Why not pop the cheque in an envelope and post it?

Pat
 Changing Bank Accounts - VxFan
>> Aged mother in law very kindly gave us a cheque in early December for Christmas.
>> it had to wait some weeks before I could actually get to a physical branch to pay it in.

Barclays allow you to scan it on your smart phone to pay it in (up to £500).

www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking-services/mobile-cheque-imaging/

I'm guessing that other banks have a similar feature as well?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 16 Jan 18 at 08:25
Most banks have an agreement with the Post Office to paying cheques at their branches.
I also pay cash into my Barclays account at the PO via my debit card.

We can pay cheques into my wife's NatWest accounts via the PO, not yet sure about cash (the branch only recently closed).
I thought about using the PO to pay in to the Santander, but apparently you need a "special paying in book". I wasn't going to get that set up before actually getting to a bank, I thought.

Not heard about scanning in a smart phone for Santander or Lloyds, my banks. Have to google.
As far as I can tell, Nat West have no special arrangements, its the bank or nowhere. Whioch for me means a trip to another town, strangely enough next to Santander.
personal.natwest.com/personal/ways-to-bank/post-office.html
>> As far as I can tell, Nat West have no special arrangements, its the bank
>> or nowhere. >>

Nope, who's not reading today Z, as I said above and as per the link posted by CG.

All you need is a PO with a coffee shop next door ;-)

BTW which NatWest is closing?
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Tue 16 Jan 18 at 10:03
 Changing Bank Accounts - rtj70
>> Barclays allow you to scan it on your smart phone to pay it in (up to £500).

It's still a pilot. I got invited to try it but when I get a cheque (rate) it is never from Barclays and the pilot at the start was to pay in cheques from other Barclays customers.

It will be handy.

Father in law's finances are managed by me and I have three cheques to pay in none of which can be done using this (yet). But since he's Barclays as well I will now pay them in at the PO. Been waiting for the 3rd cheque because I knew it was on the way (premium bonds). I can avoid this cheque when I take out some of his premium bond savings to drop below the threshold to have them re-invest.
 Changing Bank Accounts - VxFan
>> It's still a pilot.

I thought it had been since rolled out to all customers?
 Changing Bank Accounts - neiltoo
Post Office system for cheques works perfectly for me
PO has dedicated envelopes for each bank.
Put your Bank reference number and a/c no on the outside.
Put your a/c no on the back of the cheque. Give it to the assistant, Take a receipt.
It reaches Bank clearing the following morning, and can be in your account two days later.
That's worth knowing, neiltoo, thanks. Hope it works, if I ever get a cheque again.

Actually we did win £25 on the Premium Bonds last month. You get a "warrant" rather than a cheque, if you've chosen that option, and so I paid the "warrant" into the bank like a cheque and it was fine. I'm not sure what the technical difference is. Without googling.

But if we all googled this place would be dead.

Incidentally, on Post Offices, some might remember a recent thread of mine about wanting a pre-paid Visa card. I was pointed to the Post Office to purchase said thing (actually a thing called MasterCard Prime). I finally got to ask them last week. No they said, Post Offices don't do any sort of prepaid card like that any more. They used to but no more.

Oh well. Shall try something else.
I don't remember seeing the thread but I may have contributed to it!!

If I did, I would have said you could look at Revolut or Monzo. I use both, primarily when abroad. I also just got a Starling card but not yet looked at whether it is what I want.
Thanks smokie. I'll have a squizz.
>>Post Offices don't do any sort of prepaid card like that any more.

Oh that's a shame. Was very useful when my eldest went to New Zealand for her elective.
>> Next she will need to hire a van. A short wheel base transit should do
>> but best to keep quiet about the intended use. I'm sure van hire companies have
>> some sort of extra charge. They do for most things.
>>
>> When she gets to the crematorium after unloading she will need tot tranport the body
>> to the entrance. Best take a sack barrow.

The crem will lend you a trolley. £956 no frills.

www.bbfunerals.co.uk/
First Direct are highly regarded and a bonus when you join up
>> First Direct are highly regarded and a bonus when you join up
>>
I've been with them since the beginning, never had cause to complain and their service is excellent. The Post Office will take cash and cheque deposits, handy since the local HSBC shut up shop. Fishguard now only has a Barclays branch and that is going in March.

I can't see why the big banks can't keep one combined branch open between them in towns where it is not viable to have all banks represented. Surely it would be easy to work with a little bit of cooperation between them?
 Changing Bank Accounts - Roger.
SWMBO and I both hope not to incur funeral costs by donating our corpses to medical research.
Now THAT'S cheapskatism!
I left First Direct in 2001 (having been a customer since they started, and at Midland bank before that) when they spectacularly failed to get their head around an non UK resident wanting to continue using a UK account by phone and fax (pre internet banking), and to have a Japanese yen account. Never been back!
In fairness, it does sound pretty complicated. I suppose it depends on how often they see such situations.
Oh I agree it wasn’t straightforward. But HSBC managed, yet First Direct couldn’t. What irritated me most was them saying it wasn’t possible, and no UK bank would let me! And yet my HSBC branch (still in a small East Yorkshire town as I never bothered moving it) was delighted by the challenge!

Got a cheque for 50 notes from the Halifax today. Cashback on house insurance. I complained at the time that they were just taking £50 off me, investing it for the interest, then giving it me back. The lady didn't seem to understand this !

I went down the village to do a few things before lunch and there was no way I could park near the Halifax, even with me Blue Badge. It'll be Ali's PO tomoz.

We have all the banks here. In fact the main crossroads is known as ' Four Banks '...one on each corner, you see. Been with the Hafilax since '94. No major worries or complaints. 2 current accounts. One for use when buying by phone and having to give details, No overdraft facility and not more than £50 in it at a time. Two savings accounts with biggish money in one, I can make payments on-line out of both and a couple of HX credit cards. Letter this morning upped my limit by £3K to £8.5K......don't know why, they won't tempt me. SWM's with Snatander on the other corner.
Well its not started brilliantly.

I have had a shed load of emails from them, the most prevalent being a lot saying

Please log on to your Online Banking, as you have a new important document to action

Of course they have failed to send me my online banking logon details.

I then received a telephone call from them asking why I hadnt actioned one of the important documents, which as it happens, the caller informs me is one telling me the account has been suspended because personal representation needs to be made at a bank with suitable identity documents.

What is the stinking point of providing an online facility with an advertised instant decision when they know that an in-person visit is required. I know they have done a credit check, experion told me, and this included an address and electorial roll check.

I get really annoyed that web and electronic business developers never actually follow and test a process all the way through from a customers prospective. Oh yes there are lot of web designers, usability and accessibility consultants, business process designers versed in ERP linking front and back office modules, brand consultants ensuring a consistent look at feel, but does anyone ever employ a customer experience user, to test this stuff through the entire customer process? Rarely it seems.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Dutchie
We use two banks Satander and the Coop.

Never used internet banking maybe just me I don't like it.
 Changing Bank Accounts - commerdriver

>> ... but does anyone ever employ a customer experience user, to test this stuff through the >> entire customer process? Rarely it seems.
>>
Totally agree Z, but a large part of the issue is that government / civil service / commercial bureaucracy is very slow to catch up with the online world we live in. The insistence on physical identity documents (utility bill anyone??) and in-person visits as part of an online application process needs to be removed, or at least reduced to move on from this.
I know there has been work going on in this area for the last few years but am not aware that it has got / is getting anywhere.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Cliff Pope
>> but does anyone
>> ever employ a customer experience user, to test this stuff through the entire customer process?

>>
Grouse of the day:

They clearly don't even test simply manufactured products. Anyone at Seven Seas who ever tried unscrewing the top of their Cod Liver Oil bottle would notice that the seal falls out on the floor because it is slightly too small to stay in the cap.

When they used to make the genuine Red Hermatite gasket cement the cap was too weak and always split the first time you tightened it. Every tube I ever saw in anyone else's garage was always sitting in a little puddle of red gloop that had oozed out.
Got my account with Starling within about 1 minute of completing the online stuff. Card arrived a couple of days later.

(At the moment it's a disposable account just for holiday use - but we'll see how it goes. Has good write-ups elsewhere as a main account)
>> Well its not started brilliantly.
>>

Gotta say I had no problems opening a Santander account online a couple of years ago.

Gotta also say though that I recommend Barclays, I've been on the portal this PM and it does work well. It will be offline from Sat eve to Sun lunch for updates though, they have texted me to tell me.
Well Santander are now within a heartbeat of getting the elbow before a shekel has crossed their threshold.

Princess Z, happened to be going into the nearest town with a branch, so I sent her off with the account details our passports and our driving licences.

The local branch had no idea what the hell she was on about, had no idea about the need for ID when opening an account on-line. But having patiently explained while she was there, they then unilaterally decided that I had to be present in person as well with my details. DESPITE THE FACT I SPECIFICALLY ASKED IF THIS WAS REQUIRED WHEN I GOT THE PHONE CALL.

I will bide my time over the weekend while I decide on my next course of action.

As I said......

"Do not, under any circumstances, take the big bang approach. Great if it works, but an absolutely FU if it goes wrong."
>> I will bide my time over the weekend while I decide on my next course
>> of action. >>

At risk of kind of repeating myself, perhaps better the devil you know, you can do all you NatWest banking in the West Byfleet PO and still go to Costa or whatever your preferred coffee shop is.
There is already huge pressure on the banks, and anybody else like solicitors handling other people's money to sort out identity for purpose of money laundering regs. This will be even more so from later this year when they're also required to check immigration status.

Inevitable that, opening an account with a bank who don't 'know' you, they'll need you to attend in person with your proofs of identity and residence. And you'll need to do so when there's an employee who's qualified to do those checks around so probably by appointment.

That should have been made clear from word go.

Commerdriver's quite right to point out absurdity of utility bills (and not online versions) being needed as proof of residence. I no longer get any of my utilities except the annual statement from Anglian Water by post. Only other item is Council Tax bill which I think the law requires to be sent by post.

Mrs B may not feature on either.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 18 Jan 18 at 19:47

>> That should have been clear from word go.

It wasn't, not even hinted at, its clearly a failure of business process. Nor is it required in reality, I have been credit referenced checked along with residential status.
>> It wasn't, not even hinted at, its clearly a failure of business process. Nor is
>> it required in reality, I have been credit referenced checked along with residential status.

I agree with first sentence. Problem with second is how do they know you're the real Zero and not an imposter?

We had to do this stuff with Solicitor administering Mum's estate. My Sis and I found it convenient to travel up to Leeds and produce our stuff while meeting the Principal and her assistant and Mum's IFA to tidy up loose ends of her investments etc.

I suspect a trip to Leeds, or a visit to an associate locally. would otherwise have been imposed.
>> >> It wasn't, not even hinted at, its clearly a failure of business process. Nor
>> is
>> >> it required in reality, I have been credit referenced checked along with residential status.
>>
>>
>> I agree with first sentence. Problem with second is how do they know you're the
>> real Zero and not an imposter?

Because the stuff is going to an address connected to my electoral roll, my now closed ABBEY NATIONAL MORTGAGE, and my credit reference file. You think a utility bill provides more proof than that?

I obtained probate on my mothers estate without such checking. Didn't use a solicitor.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 18 Jan 18 at 20:01
 Changing Bank Accounts - tyrednemotional
...you should worry.

On recently opening a joint savings account with a well-known bank, they refused to recognise SWMBO without the f-to-f checks when Experian didn't endorse it, despite the fact that she was an existing account holder, and was also known to them through POA for her mother.

When she 'phoned them to query, they denied all knowledge of her despite the fact that she was at the time logged in to online banking.

"Computer says no".

We overcame the issue with some minor difficulty, but there are still, some months on, outstanding things to sort with the way that was achieved.
>"Computer says no".

New data protection rules are coming in to force later this year.

One of the new rights for individuals is "The right to be forgotten". That is people that hold data on you will have to delete the data IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.

We are already receiving letters from customers asking "To be forgotten". The fact that they still owe us for the loans that they have taken out seems to have been overlooked!!!!!

>> Because the stuff is going to an address connected to my electoral roll, my now
>> closed ABBEY NATIONAL MORTGAGE, and my credit reference file. You think a utility bill provides
>> more proof than that?

They have to justify their process to regulators etc. I'm explaining their rationale not justifying how they work.

>> I obtained probate on my mothers estate without such checking. Didn't use a solicitor.

The solicitor is co-executor along with my sis and I. Their are complexities with stuff Mum and my Father before did to mitigate IHT and with stuff like the additional IHT exemption for residential property and my sister wanting to mitigate her own potential IHT. We need professional advice it will cost us several grand. That's life.

Solicitor is handling money and needs to cover herself professionally. It's not a big issue.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Mapmaker
>>I obtained probate on my mothers estate without such checking. Didn't use a solicitor.

MLR checking is for the solicitor, not for probate.
In conclusion, Santader Dumped.
 Changing Bank Accounts - Dulwich Estate II
Try First Direct - been with them for two years now and can't fault them.

Metro Bank now take applications on-line so you don't need to visit a branch to set up the account any more. I'm a very happy customer of this bank too.
Latest Forum Posts