Non-motoring > Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 36

Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Bobby
It went all quiet on that front very quickly - anyone get anything of interest, gadget wise or whatever.

I got two unexpected presents that I really like:

A filter coffee travel mug that actually really works
www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-Travel-Press-Coffee-Maker/dp/B0042RU4X0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515795986&sr=8-3&keywords=filter+coffee+mug

and this magic hat that has built in bluetooth speakers - ideal for dog walking in the cold weather. Was actually a secret santa joke present but I use it daily!
www.amazon.co.uk/Sung-ll-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker-Headphone/dp/B01I4XUYFK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515796121&sr=1-3&keywords=magic+hat+headphones

You get anything of interest?

Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - R.P.
One of my best presents was a new Anker Power Bank - lost my old one in the move. I also lost the charger for my Canon DSLR...I was on the brink of buying a new one this week, when I found it in an unexpected drawer when looking for something else. Usual mix of books and clothing proved very acceptable.

Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - bathtub tom
One of these new-fangled folding coffee mugs to defeat the proposed 25P levy would be a good idea.
A beanie hat and earphones are good substitute for the other.
I reckon nothing can beat a labrador sized turd for warming the fingers through a poop bag on a cold day!
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - rtj70
I already had the travel mug/cafitiere as a present before and it's good isn't it - we take it on holiday to make cups of coffee instead of having instant. So basically two small cups worth. It's been useful.

Had a quiet time but had a funeral and a wedding in the new year so far.

We kept presents to a minimum... if we want/need something we get it during the year. I liked the Marmite biscuits and still have some Marmite cashews. Had 6 bottles of Waitrose wine which has been nice and still 4 bottles.

Other gifts are a meal at the Hilton in Manchester and in the summer tickets to Liam Gallagher at Old Trafford Cricket Ground. These were from step-sons.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 13 Jan 18 at 00:15
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - rtj70
And if anyone has not been having proper chocolate(s) for the last few years, get some Hotel Chocolat in the sale before it ends. This is not confectionary like most alternatives (i.e. more sugar than cocoa solid).
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Zero
No Xmas pressie sack was a severe disappointment.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Hard Cheese
>> And if anyone has not been having proper chocolate(s) for the last few years, get
>> some Hotel Chocolat in the sale before it ends. This is not confectionary like most
>> alternatives (i.e. more sugar than cocoa solid).
>>

Wife ordered a load before Christmas so we were all treated and had loads of the stuff around for weeks, it is great though.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - PeterS
Due to a rather nasty cold Christmas itself was a washout for me; I barely ate or drank anything... However along with the usual drink/cholocate/clothes I did get a nice watch and a couple of things I’m rather looking forward to. The first is a driving experience at Goodwood. It won’t cover as much as the AMG one at Brooklands that I did this year, but it will be fun :)

www.goodwood.com/experiences/driving/spin--slide/

And the second is a night with dinner at a hotel in Kent, which is an area I’ve never really visited, just driven through. So it’ll be nice to take a look around, and hopefully have some good food as well

www.themarquisatalkham.co.uk/#

Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Haywain
"Due to a rather nasty cold Christmas itself was a washout for me; I barely ate or drank anything... "

Similar here - I spend the first 5 days in bed thinking that I'd got a bad dose of flu and the next 4 days in hospital with a kidney infection, saline drip and intravenous antibiotics. I got the usual Private Eye subscription, a few beers and a travel version of a game called Qwirkle (that I know nothing about). Mrs H gave me the 2007 Trevor Pinnock recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, said by the cognoscenti to be (currently) the definitive version - wonderful!

Enjoy the Marquis at Alkham. An old band friend moved to Alkham last year and we went to his wedding in the village church at the end of October. We had the large group photo taken outside the Marquis, though only a small group of close family dined there - I can guess why when I look at the menu!
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - sherlock47
The smallest and cheapest are always the most interesting...

Not sure how to use this. but sure that I will find a unique application... tinyurl.com/ycbjga3x

These are brilliant for non-benders (or the terminally lazy)
tinyurl.com/y7e5nms4
But be warned, you can pay upto £11 a set from a well known online source!

Clas Ohlson can always be relied to come up with some very good value items!

Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Robin O'Reliant
I got a bass guitar.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Pat
I got a Spriggen!

Pat
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Ambo
A good year: cardigan, Amazon voucher, bottle of port, bottle of Malbec, 887-page biography of James Joyce, shirt, document case, handkerchiefs.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Dog
I got a knocker, but would have preferred a pair!
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - smokie
>> I got a knocker, but would have preferred a pair!
>>

Bet you look a right tit then. :-)
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Dog
>>Bet you look a right tit then. :-)

Moi?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocker_(folklore)

:o)
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Haywain
"I got a Spriggen!"

Is that a type of Spaniel?
www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Spriggans

He's guarding the pond from the heron at the moment!

Pat
>> I got a bass guitar.
>>

That's the best so far!
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - BiggerBadderDave
"I got a bass guitar."

Good man! I'm determined to treat myself to Fender Jazz bass this year. It won't be Santa delivering it, though.
>> And the second is a night with dinner at a hotel in Kent, >>

I got a voucher for Chatham Dockyards, actually an annual pass for two, wife and I will plan a weekend in Kent and I'll probably take my dad for Fathers' Day ...
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Ted

I got nothing except the right to pay for Christmas for a dozen people.

They could have all chipped in and bought me four 500/525 X 16 Cross ply tyres !
Bah !
>>I got a voucher for Chatham Dockyards, actually an annual pass for two, wife and I will plan a weekend in Kent

Done that. Arrived early afternoon and spent a couple of hours looking around and getting our bearings, intending to spend a full day there the next day. SWMBO got fed up by mid morning and found the shopping village over the road a a greater attraction.

I'd thoroughly recommend spending a few hours in Rochester. A fascinating little town and the castle's well worth a visit - although I'll never understand how health and safety let the public near it.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - smokie
Due to lack of sensible things actually needed, I asked for a Google Home device. I had (and still have) no idea of anything useful I can, or will want to, do with it but Argos had the minis at 3 for the price of 2 so I got some of those too. These have been located in kitchen, bedroom and office.

I'm sure nearly £200 worth of technology must have a useful purpose somewhere... other than finding out the time and weather. :-)

Although I knew I wouldn't be able to, I was still a bit miffed that I can't reach my music collection in Google Music. Seems you have to pay a subscription to either Spotify or Google music to get it to play you a song. It works OK as a radio though.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 14 Jan 18 at 10:54
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Dutchie
Got a smart phone this year.The trouble is I'm not smart enough to use it properly.

Nice for taking pictures of the grandchildren.Never mind I will get used to the thing.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - devonite
The hounds got new collars, leads, tons of chewies off the Mrs, I got a pack of 5 H.J "indestructible" socks! - my big toes have already eaten holes in 2 pairs.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - helicopter
Maybe a pair of toenail clippers on the Christmas list for next year devonite...?
That could be because you have big feet:)

Ian is a size 12 and most socks come in 6 -11 so he always had the same problem, but since I started getting him size 8-14 socks it's cured that!

Just a thought.

Pat
>>I got a voucher for Chatham Dockyards, actually an annual pass for two, wife and I will plan a weekend in Kent and I'll probably take my dad for Fathers' Day ...

Just remembered the tickets are only valid for the names on them - they take your photo to avoid fraudulent use!
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Roger.
A litre bottle of Bombay Sapphire and two giant Galway Glass, G & T balloon glasses, letting the "nose" of the gin be nicely captured to add to the enjoyment.
Cheers!
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Cliff Pope
Old fashioned bagatelle board. Perhaps surprisingly, it was good fun for all the family.
Simple but responsive to a bit of skill. We each developed our own techniques for releasing the plunger to get the vital first ping at the right speed.

Spectator intervention from the two kittens gave added amusement, and new rules for judging whether paw touched ball bearing or not.

Simple pleasures, going well with hot mince pies and red wine.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - zippy
My youngest got a Canon DSLR from me. I think that counts as a good Xmas present :-)

I got some perfect presents this year:

The Mrs got me the DVD box set of the Detectorists, knowing full well that I wouldn't pay to watch them on line.

My eldest caught me looking longingly at an advert for a Phil Collins box set that wasn't out ages ago and got that for me when it came out.

My youngest got me a book on the solar system.

All well thought out and very gratefully received presents!
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 15 Jan 18 at 14:55
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Bromptonaut
Mostly books:

Betting the House: The inside story of the 2017 GE told by Tim Ross and Tom McTague

Inside Story: Philip Webster's account of political intrigue from Thatcher to Brexit

What Happened: Hillary Clinton's book of the 2016 Presidential Race

Martin McGuiness, A Life Remembered: A mostly pictorial account of his life in Sinn Feinn etc.

Plus a couple of others including Robert Peston's WTF for my birthday the week before Xmas.

Should keep me busy for a while.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - No FM2R
>>What Happened: Hillary Clinton's book of the 2016 Presidential Race

When you get to that one, I'd be interested on your perspective.

I haven't read the book, though I guess I could get it on Kindle. I shall check.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Robin O'Reliant
I've just treated myself to Fire and Fury. It should be an entertaining read, though I have my doubts as to how accurate it is. Love Trump or Loathe him, he does have the liberal establishment lining up to stick the boot in. Which is where his appeal is to a lot of people.
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - Zero
>> I've just treated myself to Fire and Fury.

You bought it? There is no way I would drop any money into any of the participants plates in this sorry affair. You should have said, i would have sent you a free copy, and you get the pleasure of stealing from them. A worthy and worthwhile pastime in this instance
 Any good / interesting Christmas presents?? - No FM2R
I must admit that stealing from thieves is always a rewarding experience.
Latest Forum Posts