Non-motoring > Good, if not stellar, service. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 13

Good, if not stellar, service. - Iffy
I refer to Comet online from whom I recently bought a new clothes washing machine.

A few minutes after I completed the order, I received a phone call from the 'distribution centre' to confirm my delivery slot.

There was also a confirmation email, but to hear from a human was reassuring.

The delivery driver rang in advance on the day, and turned up when he said he would.

I paid for the full 'install new and remove old' service which was done efficiently.

Delivery is only free if you're prepared to wait in all day, and the install and remove is also extra.

The result is I paid about £60 on top of the 'cash and carry' price, but I was happy enough to do that.

A positive experience - and I'm quite pleased with my cheapo Beko so far.
 Good, if not stellar, service. - Robin O'Reliant
I bought a cheapo Beko myself last year, from Currys. I told them Comet had offered free delivery and removal of the old machine and they price matched that, like your fellow the driver phoned to confirm delivery and turned up when he said he would. It pays to haggle.

Mrs RR is also pleased with the machine.
...It pays to haggle...

Not possible if you're using the website.

I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it.
 Good, if not stellar, service. - Zero
I used the comet delivery and collection service. Very good it was too, the delivery driver turned out to be an out of work actor who was fascinated by my Simon Paterson great bear map of the underground hanging on the wall.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Aug 10 at 14:08
 Good, if not stellar, service. - legacylad
Another recommendation here for the Comet deliver & collection service. Very efficient. I preferred they deliver to my house(a Xmas present for the future MrsL) and I installed at hers later. She loves her Miele washing machine, especially the 10 year warranty. It never gets chance to cool down with 3 females in the house!
 Good, if not stellar, service. - Fursty Ferret
You bought your wife a WASHING MACHINE for Christmas? You've got balls... ;-)
 Good, if not stellar, service. - Tooslow
No. He HAD balls.

JH
 Good, if not stellar, service. - Bellboy
i will never ever darken comets doors with my presence
i regret the day empire direct folded as they gave better service better prices and better available choice
...i regret the day empire direct folded....

The website, at least, folded into Richer Sounds, it says here:

www.empiredirect.co.uk/
>> i will never ever darken comets doors with my presence
>> i regret the day empire direct folded as they gave better service better prices and
>> better available choice

clearly they didnt or they would still be trading.
 Good, if not stellar, service. - Marc
Agree with Bellboy re Comet. Do you get endlessly hassled to buy a warranty at Comet online?

Good, if not stellar, service. - Bellboy
richer sounds bought the trading name i understand so as to cash in on its website that had a successful business
as i understand it it was the economic situation of the banks refusing to extend credit zero,
probably something you may not understand in these days of the late 21st century?
 Good, if not stellar, service. - Fursty Ferret
Comet I can live with. Currys - and in fact the whole Dixons group - take all the worst things about being a corporate giant and none of the good.

Case in point - bought a £500 LG LCD TV from Currys a few weeks ago. Discovered when I got it home that it had none of the internet features advertised on their website. Took it back and was informed that I should have looked more carefully at the one on display before splashing out the cash.

Quite a vocal argument followed, which got a refund in the end. Felt like I was prising my money back from their clammy dead hands.
>> as i understand it it was the economic situation of the banks refusing to extend
>> credit zero,

Because it was a financial basket case.

>> probably something you may not understand in these days of the late 21st century?

Business is business, this century or any other, you dont make profit you dont survive.
Latest Forum Posts