Non-motoring > Women, eyes and ears Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 16

Women, eyes and ears - Crankcase
Tv and audio.

Does the house believe that women are as capable as men at seeing HD/4K and hearing stereo/surround, but generally feel those perceived advantages are not worth the price of electronic boxes and wires everywhere, and will sigh or huff

Or

Women are different humans, and don't actually see or hear any difference, know it all to be Emperor's New Clothes, and anyway feel that whatever it is it's not worth the price of electronic boxes and wires everywhere? And will sigh or huff.

Just asking.
 Women, eyes and ears - Manatee
Perhaps they can tell the difference, but just don't think it makes the programmes/music any better?

It matters a bit more to me with music, but for TV drama a small screen/SD is 99% as good as a big/HD one. And I'm not even a woman, currently.

I only succumbed to a bigger TV because I couldn't read the captions when watching the F1. Nothing wrong with my eyesight, but they are much smaller than they used to be when they took up a quarter of the screen.
 Women, eyes and ears - smokie
Mine is deffo a category 1.

We have a decent smart LG TV and soundbar. The TV definitely ripe for change, as it's at least two years old. Well nearly, anyway.

So I've located the replacement at a good price in the sales and tried on numerous occasions to take her to see it, but always she has something more important to do. She seems to think we can eke a little more life out of ours, when it can't even display in 4K!!!

We could also have helped save the planet and made a Freecycler very happy with the old one!!!

What is she like!!!

(Sensible is the right answer! LOL)
 Women, eyes and ears - sooty123
It's all a little bit lost on me as well I'm afraid. I mean I can tell a bit in big teles and older ones but all the differences between 4k/UHD/HD not really.
Same with music, all the chat about play rates, speakers, different types of format and about how important they all are and the huge differences between them are all wasted on me.

Although I'm the similar with computers, just white goods to me. I've never had any particular interest in how or why they work just that they do.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 7 Jan 18 at 08:49
 Women, eyes and ears - sherlock47

Just asking.?

The answer is YES to both. At one time I would have said it depends on the time of the month. But is that non PC?
 Women, eyes and ears - Mapmaker
Depends. Sometimes I'm a category 1, and sometimes a category 2.

If anything I find HD slightly scary and love the flicker of cine... (I can't decide whether or not I'm being ironic here).
 Women, eyes and ears - Fenlander
I've had reason this past year to be involved with the psychology of how we perceive what we hear... fascinating stuff it was too and vision behaves in a very similar way of course.

Years ago TV and photographic cameras as well as sound recordings (but not quite so correct with audio) were seen/heard largely as transmitted. But now our TVs process the image with software to do this or that to movement, colours, sharpness of edges, depth of black and so on... as do digicams and phones as you take the image.

Likewise the brain also has massive processing power with images and sound to either enhance or disregard elements of content due to mood, circumstance or expectations... so male or female are able to ignore what we might call less than perfect quality in various circumstances without being consciously aware or without reduction in enjoyment.

I always admired my uncle who loved classical music and knew what it should sound like live or on decent audio but could enjoy it just as much on a £25 1970s transistor radio because despite the thin sound it triggered the enjoyment of the full sound. Likewise I never seek more than a modest car stereo because that is sufficient for my brain to fill in the bits compared to the same music at home on a decent system.

So I don't think it's that the female brain doesn't see/hear the differences... more life priorities may be different so shifting emphasis on how their brains are processing in that moment.

Thankfully I have full support from Mrs F re hi-fi being quite dominant in the room... but I'm good at hiding wires.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 8 Jan 18 at 11:32
 Women, eyes and ears - TheManWithNoName
Mrs Wife isn't interested in a 4k TV but I think it will make a big difference when watching Blue Planet and other wildlife programs.

That said, a friend has a super duper TV with some fancy software making movies look very smooth - in fact too smooth. A film ends up looking like you're watching the News or some other TV video and so you don't get that 35mm film look.

Women, eyes and ears - martin aston
We have a 50 inch Panasonic 4k.

BBC iplayer has Blue Planet on UHD and it looks no better on out TV than HD at normsl viewing distance. You have to sit uncomfortably close to get any benefit. Its nowhere near comparable to the SD to HD difference.

Even in HD I am with "TheMan...." that some pictures are too sharp already esoecially on dramas making the images oddly artificial - for example the stage make-up shows up.

If anyone is thinking about upgrading their perfectly good HD set to 4k I wouldn't bother until it needs changing anyway. Or you want a very large screen.

Sound is a different matter and I would recommend a soundbar or system if you want to improve your TV experience.
 Women, eyes and ears - smokie
Yeah the comments about over-sharpness remind me of the first time I saw Formula 1 in HD. It looked exactly like a computer game to me, quite unlifelike.
 Women, eyes and ears - Fenlander
>>>some pictures are too sharp already especially on dramas making the images oddly artificial - for example the stage make-up shows up.

A behind the scenes guy on a new Netflix series was talking about this recently... as in less rather than more being better with makeup when the output was destined for HD.

Anyway you can go in settings to get a HDTV to soften if you want... either manually or scene type. RE sport for us with horse racing HD is a game changer and it's a disaster that when sold to ITV rather than Channel 4 many routine races are on ITV 3 or 4 and not in HD (on Freeview).
 Women, eyes and ears - Manatee
A friend of mine, retired, did special effects for the BBC for many years - first as an employee, then as a contractor after it was "outsourced" in the Birtian period.

When I saw him recently, he was recalling that he, and some make up people and scenery people took part in some early tests for HD. His explosions were unconvincing, the make up made the actors look like circus performers, and all the bits of tape etc. were visible on the scenery.
 Women, eyes and ears - No FM2R
HD is the reason that so many long running soap operas had fires destroying their main "establishments"
 Women, eyes and ears - R.P.
Watched "Man in the High Castle" in HD - which was brilliantly rendered. Decided to back-to-back it with the 4k version - seemed no different really.
 Women, eyes and ears - Mapmaker
>> Anyway you can go in settings to get a HDTV to soften if you want...

So what was the point in it in the first place? [Devil-horns smiley]
 Women, eyes and ears - Hard Cheese
Don't want to stereotype (excuse the pun) though IME women don't have an appreciation for HiFi sound (my wife sees HiFi as ruining the aesthetics of furniture) or HD images.

Though too many people think that a larger TV screen is better than a smaller one as it is all about viewing distances, HD is HD whether it is a 32" screen or a 55" screen so the pixels will be larger on the latter and will be more apparent unless viewed from further away. Accordingly 4k is only really noticeable over HD if the screen is large and is viewed quite close up.
 Women, eyes and ears - Pat
I'm just amazed at how much time some of you spend watching TV.

An hour a day is usually all we manage and even less at weekends, there really are far better things to do.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts