Non-motoring > For the tin foil hat wearers amongst us.... Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 7

For the tin foil hat wearers amongst us.... - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180105-how-your-car-signals-your-income
 For the tin foil hat wearers amongst us.... - Haywain
All my 11yr-old Astra 1.3 diesel estate tells you about me is that I am a tight-git. It provides practical motoring for a pittance. It isn't lack of money that prevents me from going out and buying an Audi and driving up other people's backsides.
 For the tin foil hat wearers amongst us.... - Focal Point
"All my 11yr-old Astra 1.3 diesel estate tells you about me is that I am a tight-git. It provides practical motoring for a pittance. It isn't lack of money that prevents me from going out and buying an Audi and driving up other people's backsides."

Indeed, and up until July of last year I was much the same - driving a twelve-year-old Focus whose bodywork was a little the worse for wear.

And then I bought an SUV. Did I have a total transformation? And no, I didn't suddenly come into money.

I guess I'm just one of the middle-classes, who love shopping in Aldi (because they can't resist a bargain), but also shop in Waitrose (because they're prepared to splash out for quality).

The Focus merely represented my Aldi side.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Sun 7 Jan 18 at 10:22
 For the tin foil hat wearers amongst us.... - Robin O'Reliant
My 02 Almera puts me firmly in Poundshop territory.
 For the tin foil hat wearers amongst us.... - madf
"For the study, the team built an algorithm that combed through 50 million Google Street View images from 200 US cities"

So not specifically UK applicable..
 For the tin foil hat wearers amongst us.... - Manatee
>> So not specifically UK applicable..

But the methodology would probably work at the population level here as well - to suggest it denotes any individual's income or status is missing the point.

You'd still need data to build your model so you could correlate whatever it is you want to know about a district with the cars on street view. It's about statistics, not opinions.

It's a bit out of date as an approach however. Individual data is where it has been going for some time and should be of more concern to the tin-foil hat brigade.

Google creates a timeline of all my locations. "Alexa" listens to everything I say at home. Every time I use Android Pay, a credit or debit card, visit an ATM, use the tube etc, one system or another knows who and where I am and something of what I am doing. A bit of processing and it could easily work out who I associate with. Think what the Stasi/Nazis/KGB would have been doing with that. And who might be doing it now.

Pass me the tin-foil.
 For the tin foil hat wearers amongst us.... - Crankcase
Indeed. Sister in law was over yesterday. We discovered she'd lost a tail light on her Citroen C1. No bother says I, and hops onto Amazon to get one. Look sharp, says Amazon, THAT won't fit your Volvo.

How the Dickens...?

For the tin foil hat wearers amongst us.... - Dutchie
I like to see a classic car of any make.If I see the owner I have a natter about the history of the car.

Status symbol? Modern cars are ten a penny.It is a thing of the past in my opinion.
Latest Forum Posts