Non-motoring > Sheer laziness Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 12

Sheer laziness - legacylad
Home insurance due imminently. Contents & buildings insurance increased from £127 to £135 with adequate cover and £150 excess on both buildings and contents, (£350 escape of water). Insurer is Privilege and I really CBA even looking on comparison sites to reduce it. It’s a 4 bed detached home, no flood risk, so doubt the ‘best quote’ would be under £100 given those figures.

Maybe I’m just lazy, or not sufficiently careful of my brass, although I’ll definitely shop around when the car insurance becomes due as the savings this renewal time ‘could’ be considerable.
 Sheer laziness - CGNorwich
In the time it took to make that post you could have ckecked. The comparison sights will hold your details from year to year so all you have to do is update you details a and request a new quote.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 5 Jan 18 at 16:08
 Sheer laziness - PeterS
I’d agree; if there’s little prospect of saving £50 or more, which on a £135 premium seems unlikely, I wouldn’t even bother looking.
 Sheer laziness - Pat
Me neither...and my bank balance isn't a tenth of yours, I bet!!

Pat
 Sheer laziness - Bromptonaut
I had same thought process last month regarding an impending end to my fixed price deal with SO energy. They offerd me a new deal at slightly increased price. Got as far as using a comparison tool but not worth real/potential ag in changing to save something like £30. More so as Martin Lewis's site stated alternative supplier's customer service was less than exemplary.
I can see the logic of not changing suppliers or insurers if the savings are small but I don’t get the logic of not spending a few minutes finding out what the potential savings might be even if just out of curiosity.

I guess you don’t bother about shopping around generally.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 5 Jan 18 at 21:19
 Sheer laziness - PeterS

>>
>> I guess you don’t bother about shopping around generally.
>>

I’m not sure that’s what we are saying...certainly not me. What we are saying is if there’s little prospect of saving a material amount, then we won’t look. And a £135 insurance premium would fit that criteria, for me. Likewise the ‘opportunity’ to save a few pence on a litre of petrol by taking a detour, or cheaper groceries by going to a less convenient shop, will be ignored.

A £350 car insurance premium? I’d probably look. But as it happens comparethemarket has the details of all our cars and rough renewal dates from when the cars were bought and I did run a comparison. So they send me an email around renewal time and all I have to do is read it. But to date, LV (our insurers for all the cars), as always been competitive, even if not always the absolute cheapest, at renewal time.

Buying a new car? Drive the deal or CarWow will give me a target price, and I might or might not then just buy from them depending on what the local dealer is (a) like for customer service and (b) like on price.

And as for anything else? It’s probably bought online anyway ;)
How do you know how much you might save until unless look? For the record my insurance is £98 per year? Just seems odd to me to take a guess how much you might save and make a decision on that basis when it literally takes two minutes to look and find the real figures.

Just me I guess.
 Sheer laziness - PeterS
>> How do you know how much you might save until unless look? For the record
>> my insurance is £98 per year? Just seems odd to me to take a guess
>> how much you might save and make a decision on that basis when it literally
>> takes two minutes to look and find the real figures.
>>
>> Just me I guess.
>>

I see where you’re coming from, but we all make judgements on things every day, sometimes based on facts, sometimes experience, gut feeling or whatever. Sometimes we’ll be wrong. But I’d wager that, on balance, the chances of saving £50 on a £135 premium and still having decent service/quality are so low as for me not to bother looking. The higher the price the more likely hat the saving will be material and the more likely I am to look for facts.

And it’s not really two minutes, is it... sure, filling in the form and waiting for the results might just be achievable in 2 minutes. Then you have to rule out all the no name companies. And check that those that are left actually have the same excess. And the same cover for individual items. And the same level of legal protection etc etc. Inevitably it then means clicking for more info that then leads you to the insurers site. Do that for a couple of the quotes, and you’re probably nearer half an hour... so, for me, the likelihood of saving a material amount needs to be good for me to bother.

Sometimes I’ll be right. And sometimes I’ll be wrong. I’m happy with the risk that I’m taking (I think it’s very very low, btw)
 Sheer laziness - Zero

>> Buying a new car? Drive the deal or CarWow will give me a target price,
>> and I might or might not then just buy from them depending on what the
>> local dealer is (a) like for customer service and (b) like on price.

Which is what I did. " Hey local dealer, you have a few quid leeway for being nice to me and for being local if i need you, but here is the price (DtD/Carwow) you need to get close to"
 Sheer laziness - Zero
what we are saying is that its not worth changing for a 30 quid saving. If you dont check (shop around) you dont know the saving is only 30 quid.
 Sheer laziness - Hard Cheese
Our home ins went up from around £400 to nearly £500 in December, it's very comprehensive including business though there was not justification for the rise. I shopped around and saved about £15 on the renewal price though with even better cover. So we still ended up paying about 20% more year on year.
 Sheer laziness - Roger.
I check every thing every year. If the difference is, say, ten to fifteen quid I'll either haggle with our current provider, or switch.
Latest Forum Posts