Non-motoring > Fixing fence post to concrete wall Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

Fixing fence post to concrete wall - bathtub tom
The wind's loosened a fence post. It's not broken, but looks like it's never been fitted well in the first place.
I need a fixing that will go through a 4" post into a concrete wall. I've looked around but can't find anything long enough.
Any suggestions?
 Fixing fence post to concrete wall - Hard Cheese
I've used this kind of thing to fix fence posts to brick and stone walls, three per post, top middle and bottom, just the job.

www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-kkr-pa6-nylon-frame-fixings-10-x-160mm-12-pack/8590g
 Fixing fence post to concrete wall - Manatee
Putting a clearance hole a couple of inches into the post shouldn't weaken it fatally.
 Fixing fence post to concrete wall - Hard Cheese
>> Putting a clearance hole a couple of inches into the post shouldn't weaken it fatally.
>>

Yes, countersinking the screw so about 75 to 80 mm (approx. 3") of a 160mm screw is in the wall makes sense.
 Fixing fence post to concrete wall - Zero
I have a wooden gate post fixed to a masonry wall by some of these

www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-rawlbolts-m12-x-140mm-5-pack/57310

(supporting a 4' x 6' heavy wooden gate)

Post countersunk sufficiently to enable enough of the bolt into the wall

Fixing fence post to concrete wall - bathtub tom
Ah. I didn't think of Screwfix.

I think this may be most appropriate for the job:
www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-throughbolts-m12-x-180mm-10-pack/18740?_requestid=278386
 Fixing fence post to concrete wall - No FM2R
Just consider that if you anchor the wall and the fence together then the wall is taking some strain from the fence.

That might strengthen the fence or it might weaken the wall, you don't want them both coming down.
 Fixing fence post to concrete wall - martin aston
If you are using a fixing that depends on force from the threaded part then its a lot easier to apply the necessary effort if its a bolt head rather than a slotted, screw head. Even screw-type fixings are available with a bolt head. You can then use a socket to drive it home rather than use a screwdriver which will be a lot harder, and blistering, to turn in a long fitting.

Unless you can use pre-existing holes you will need a meaty drill if its dense concrete in the wall.
 Fixing fence post to concrete wall - Dulwich Estate II
When fitting a fence post to a house wall I've always placed a layer of damp proof course material between the post and the wall. Then, I've angled the post top (or cap even) to throw water away from the wall. Ultra picky - yes, but I won't get a damp wall.
Latest Forum Posts