Non-motoring > Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 30

Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - No FM2R
I read the BBC every day, avidly. I detest the BBC but needs must when one lives afar.

Anyway, a couple more I found interesting....

www.bbc.com/news/health-42542818

So bubbles are bad over and above the sugar. Who knew? Good to know though.

www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-42563759

Nick Holland is clearly a compressed mixture of meat and spices, coated in breadcrumbs and fried.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 4 Jan 18 at 17:10
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - CGNorwich
"Mr Holland, 47, from Barnsley, who had been a member of the society for several years, said: "I think it's a disgrace."

A wuthering condemnation from Nick then.
Lets hope Lily reaches new heights.
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Pat
I wouldn't believe too much from the BBC these days with all the biased reporting.

I would imagine British Sugar agreed to 'donate' a backhander but Coca Cola refused!

Pat
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - sooty123
A backhander, maybe in product. Taken any lorry loads of beet down to bbc studios ?
I was struck today how cheap sugar is. 65p per kilo down the supermarket. Manufacturers must buy it for lot less than that so no wonder they want to stuff as much of it as they can into nearly everything.
Manufacturers
>> must buy it for lot less than that so no wonder they want to stuff
>> as much of it as they can into nearly everything.
>>

Cheap and easy to grow in the UK, I'd bet well into the double figures ton wise per acre, fields and fields of the stuff round here.
Hardy as well, huge piles of them at the edge of fields that are there for weeks.
Sugar hasn’t really been a good thing has it? The driving force behind the slave trade, the cause of the obesity crisis, diabetes, and tooth decay. We should have stuck with the occasional pot of honey.
>> Sugar hasn’t really been a good thing has it?

Depends on if you like sugar.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-42565363
I really couldn't answer that question sooty:)

Pallets of sugar?....now that may be a different story!

Pat

>> Pallets of sugar?....now that may be a different story!
>

They've got a *really* sweet tooth?
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Bobby
I remember in my Safeway days, the pallet of sugar was the battering ram in the warehouses.

We got a pallet delivered every Tuesday. It was never in the stock management system as such. You just always got a pallet on a Tuesday!

Anytime you needed to shunt other pallets around, or straighten up collapsed pallets of carbonated, you used the sugar pallet!

Very, very rarely did the sugar pallet ever collapse. Must be stacked by a robot!
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Manatee
>> I remember in my Safeway days, the pallet of sugar was the battering ram in
>> the warehouses.

As a 15/16 year old I worked in Fine Fare, 3 evenings and all day Saturday for 30/-.

It was a tiny supermarket, 2 tills. But the amount of sugar we sold was phenomenal by today's standards. I suppose people baked, as a regular thing, and most took sugar in tea.

The manager liked the sugar stacked on a pallet in the shop, out of its sacks. As you say Bobby, the palletised sacks were quite stable, but I and my mate from school had to stack it in the 2lb bags. That was a skilled job, believe me. Once it got a lean on, it was only a matter of time before the avalanche.
Reminds me of a similar job I had at Tesco. First thing I used to do on Saturday was to cut the mold off the cheese and repack it. Main task was stacking shelves. We used to carry the cans up rickety stairs from the cellar in the large boxes eggs were packed in. The demand for Fray Bentos tinned pies, baked beans and tinned fruit seemed insatiable..
>> Reminds me of a similar job I had at Tesco. First thing I used to
>> do on Saturday was to cut the mold off the cheese and repack it. Main
>> task was stacking shelves. We used to carry the cans up rickety stairs from the
>> cellar in the large boxes eggs were packed in. The demand for Fray Bentos tinned
>> pies, baked beans and tinned fruit seemed insatiable..

I'll be going into full reminiscence mode. Every week we had a 'promotion' on tins of something or other, and we two 'Saturday lads' would be tasked with the "display". That meant making a large and symmetrical pile of tins. Our objective of course was to make a stack that nobody under about 6 feet tall could remove a tin from without the whole lot falling down.

We always seemed to be taking old ladies into the back for a restorative cup of tea (lots of sugar of course) after they had unsuccessfully tried to slide out a tin of Whiskas or whether it was that week.
>>I wouldn't believe too much from the BBC these days with all the biased reporting.

Biased reporting for sure, but lying not so much.

The BBC rarely, if ever, tells out and out lies. They simply misrepresent or allow bias.
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Haywain
"Biased reporting for sure, "

The BBC has been loving stirring up the issues currently confronting the NHS - it's headlines on the national news, and then we get it all over again on the local news. It makes me 'shout-at-the-telly' angry.

I've just returned home following an emergency 4-day stay in our local hospital. Sure, the staff were incredibly busy but, from what I saw, if you were ill, then you would be seen.
I think the BBC has been giving the NHS a more than fair shake but bad at getting to the story.

It still appears to me to be badly run and over-dependent on the goodwill of its clinical staff.

Tonight there were pictures of a row of ambulances waiting to offload patients at A&E. Perhaps there is literally no room in the hospital for them now, but this has been going on for years, with A&E managers attempting to hit their turnaround targets by preventing patients coming through the door. This means (a) that the measure of their effectiveness is useless, and (b) that ambulance service resources are wasted.

Examples of this sort of thing are endless. At least our GP practice is now booking appointments well ahead - yesterday I made one for next Tuesday. There was a time when the phones were perpetually jammed by patients trying to get an appointment because they had a target of seeing everybody within 48 hours, so they would only book appointments up to 2 days ahead. Presumably the measurement showed total success as all patients were seen with the target time from making the appointment. I think that was stopped after a member of the audience spoke about it on Question Time. Yet legions of NHS staff, managers and patients must have known about it.

Few news services now really have the resources to do proper journalism; the BBC has more than most and should be doing much better than the others.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 4 Jan 18 at 21:52
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Dog
>>I've just returned home following an emergency 4-day stay in our local hospital

I hope all's well now guvnor.
"I hope all's well now guvnor."

Thanks, yes. My dodgy kidney had become infected, I suspect over a couple of months, and culminated over Christmas in what I thought was flu. I eventually visited my GP who thought differently and after a blood test, she sent me down to A&E and told me to take my pyjamas. They put me on a saline drip and gave me intravenous antibiotics - the turnaround was quite remarkable.
I have now been given a date and, in a fortnight, the dodgy kidney will come out for good.
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Dog
My sister, who lives in Wellington, Somerset, goes to Taunton 3 times a week for dialysis.

She still more-or-less lives a 'normal' life from what I hear of her, apart from the restricted diet of course.

I wonder if she'll partake of my home-made fruit cake when she visits Cornwall (Mullion) in March :)
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - BiggerBadderDave
"the dodgy kidney will come out for good"

As Ed China says, measure twice, cut once. Hope they don't whip out the wrong one.

Good luck, you'll be fine. Want to see you posting by Feb.
"Hope they don't whip out the wrong one."

That's something that always worried me ....... was I lying on my back or my tummy when the x-ray was taken? Was the camera above or below? At least, there should be no mistaking the dodgy kidney now as it's just an expanded bag of fluid and about the size, so I'm told, of a 4pt bottle of semi-skimmed. Over Christmas, I lost another half-stone in weight, so at least the surgeon won't have to hack through layers of blubber; there's more fat on my push-bike.

As this has been going on for at least 15 years, the good kidney seems to have taken over so, hopefully, the loss of one shouldn't be too dramatic a change. On the plus side, it should leave more room for my lungs, so I'll be able to sing better!

Hot news from Addenbrookes - operation cancelled. The cancer people get priority - I can live with that.
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Bromptonaut
>> www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-42563759
>>
>> Nick Holland is clearly a compressed mixture of meat and spices, coated in breadcrumbs and
>> fried.

The story here is appointment of Lily Cole to a role concerning Haworth and the Brontes. While Miss Cole may be (as mentioned) a 'super model' she's also got some impressive academic qualifications and is a talented actress.

I share Mark's views on Nick Holland.

Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - legacylad
I’ve never heard of Lily Cole, but I’m very familiar with Haworth. Several friends lived there, and I only lived a few miles away myself twenty odd years ago. I used to walk an ex’s two Border Collies over the moors from Denholme then get collected from the Fleece late Saturday afternoon after several pints of Timmy Taylors.
There was an annual ‘ challenge walk’ called the Haworth Hobble, 33 miles & 4400’ of ascent, completed by yours truly in the early 80’s ( in 1983 it took me 11 hrs 33 mins) which became the ‘Wuthering Hike’, same route, held in March. 1996 deep snow took me 12 hours on 15th March. I was older and conditions were desperate hence the extra 27 minutes.
Doubt I could walk/run 33 miles now in 12 hours through the snow.
Excellent walking country, but boggy underfoot compared to my current limestone part of the world.
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Hard Cheese

>> There was an annual ‘ challenge walk’ called the Haworth Hobble, 33 miles & 4400’
>> of ascent, completed by yours truly in the early 80’s ( in 1983 it took
>> me 11 hrs 33 mins) which became the ‘Wuthering Hike’, same route, held in March.
>>

I walked 26 miles and 2000' of ascent just before Christmas, took me 10.5 hours of which three were in pubs along the way so not a bad average.
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Stuartli
I've been a Tory all my life and I still don't generally perceive the BBC as being biased.

Always felt that it was more balanced than most and, interestingly, that the majority of Labour and/or LibDem supporters thought in equal measure that it was biased in favour of Conservatives....:-)

I do regard it as an exceptional broadcasting medium in every sense of the word and a view held throughout the world.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 5 Jan 18 at 00:39
Well done HC. Have you considered joining your local LDWA Group? I’ve been a member for decades, but unfortunately with a failing hip am no longer able to participate in the supported ‘ Challenge Walks’. My local group social walks are my limit these days...a leisurely pace, painkillers and low humidity on the day. Another 3 days on the Pennine Way planned for May BH.
 Interesting stuff on the BBC today.... - Hard Cheese
>> Well done HC. Have you considered joining your local LDWA Group? >>

No TBH, though could take a look. I walk and cycle a fair bit though the walk in question is an annual one in aid of charity.
Good stuff. After one too many climbing incidents I took up long distance walking (single day fastish walks) as a means of low impact exercise.
Decent weather forecast at last, so a short drive tomorrow up to Ribblehead viaduct, N along the Craven Way into Dentdale, returning via Blea Moor. About 14/15 miles I think.
Sunday a similar length circular around the Howgills from Sedbergh.
Plenty of paracetamol for the hip pain which kicks in around ten miles if the humidity is lower than normal, then an hour in the gym and sauna followed by 4 or so pints early doors. I’m easily pleased by the simple things in life.
Not forgetting sausage egg n chips after t’pub chez LL.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 5 Jan 18 at 22:35
>>Not forgetting sausage egg n chips after t'pub chez LL.<<

All delivered to JMP at Birks Mill by one of our artics probably!

Wait at the top of the road for them to ring and tell you it's clear to come down as two vehicles can't pass and if you don't get the kinky bit just right you manage to take a bit more off the poor woman's porch again:)

www.google.com/maps/@54.3173898,-2.5374803,3a,75y,245.78h,87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8Av_T_sBTh7O54hmab8Uiw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-US

I miss those challenges!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts