Non-motoring > Norwich becoming less significant?? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 19

Norwich becoming less significant?? - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-42569750

As an aside, does anybody else think that their mustard is very, very noticeably less strong than it was 30 or 40 years ago?
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - Pat
Yes, it's also not as thick as it used to be so I assume it has more water content.

I suppose the answer is to buy it in powder form and mix our own as we all used to do.

Pat
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - CGNorwich
It is sad to see another industry go but the writing has been on the wall for a number of years. The factory occupies a huge site near the river and nor far from the centre of Norwich and will no doubt end up as housing - upmarket flats I suspect.

As for the mustard heretical as it may be I rather think Dijon mustard is vastly preferable as a condiment although I do use the mustard powder in cooking. English mustard for me is just heat.

If anyone is ever in Norwich and looking for a very nice restaurant with a bit of history then the Old Mill just outside Norwich is excellent. The water mill is still intact and it where Jeremiah Colman stared his business in 1814.

www.stokemill.co.uk/about/
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - bathtub tom
SWMBO was taken on a school trip round that factory. They were fascinated by a girl who had the job of screwing the lids on the mustard jars.
On return to school one teacher took great delight in telling her pupils "that's what you'll end up doing if you don't put the effort in".
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - The Melting Snowman
Never liked the stuff - too hot and not much else. A nice smooth Dijon is far preferable to me, Maille is one we often buy, owned by Unilever as well so gets an extra vote from me.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Thu 4 Jan 18 at 20:16
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - Bromptonaut
I enjoy the hot English Mustard with it's intended partner beef and other meats too. Prefer it to mint sauce with a bit of rare cooked lamb.

But other variants like wholegrain or Dijon have their place too.

And talking Unilever products Amora Mayonnaise de Dijon is a must buy whenever we're in France.
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - BiggerBadderDave
"They were fascinated by a girl who had the job of screwing the lids"

Lids or lads? Sorry, don't have my glasses on.
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - rtj70
I prefer Dijon and whole grain mustards to English. We do have a soup recipe that calls for English mustard. Too strong for my liking - over powers the food. And I don't eat lamb or beef so can't comment on how it goes with those.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 4 Jan 18 at 20:53
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - Haywain
"I prefer Dijon and whole grain mustards to English."

Hand up for Dijon mustard, too, particularly on ham and sausages. These days, on beef, I prefer creamed horse-radish.
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - Ted

Cant stand anything that tastes of mustard...I even find the smell repulsive.

One small exception, I like a touch of German Zenf on a Bratwurst. Not too much, mind !
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - Hard Cheese
English and Dijon both have their place, I also quite like the mustardy mayonnaise type stuff popular in Scandinavia though I think Italian, Remoulade, the Nordics pronounce it 'remoolether' ...
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - Auntie Lockbrakes
"Remoolell" in Denmark. Made from a cauliflower base apparently. Wouldn't put it in the same category as mustard.

I'm with Ted: not any kind of mustard fan. And it sounds like most of you lot prefer the French stuff. Surprised Coleman's aren't going out of business altogether!
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - sooty123
Another non mustard fan here. Not keen on the favour or smell.
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - BiggerBadderDave
I don't like mustard but if there was some kind of event that served hotdogs with mustard and I was hungry, I'd eat it.

But Horseradish? Quite simply the most vile, repulsive, gag-inducing thing I've ever almost eaten.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Fri 5 Jan 18 at 08:05
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> But Horseradish? Quite simply the most vile, repulsive, gag-inducing thing I've ever almost eaten.
>>

It probably shares the Marmite effect - love it or hate it. I love horseradish.

For me the most vile, repulsive, gag-inducing thing is celeriac. In our family it's called celeri-yuk.
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - Manatee

>> For me the most vile, repulsive, gag-inducing thing is celeriac. In our family it's called
>> celeri-yuk.

>> I love horseradish

Horserubbish in our house!

I like English mustard, but it's better mixed from powder. I think the stuff in jars must have been dumbed down a bit.

Some of what is produced as "English mustard" in restaurants is nothing like it.

Anybody remember OK Mustard Sauce?
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - devonite
I rather like English Mustard on Ham, but my favourite use is to mix it with Tumeric, in a bowl of hot water, and soak my aching feet! - very soothing!
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - VxFan
Not a connoisseur of mustard as some of you guys appear to be.

I'll just use whatever gets bought from the supermarket and is in the cupboard (fridge once opened).

Current pot opened is LIDL's English mustard.

Norwich becoming less significant?? - DP
Mustard is one of the four foods (along with gherkins, kimchi, and horseradish sauce) that would take the likes of a loaded gun held to my head to make me ever eat again.

How can you taste whatever it is you've put the mustard on? It's so overpowering.
 Norwich becoming less significant?? - Ambo
>>The factory occupies a huge site near the river and nor far from the centre of Norwich and will no doubt end up as housing - upmarket flats I suspect.

Just a stone throw from the Canaries football ground, if I recall: could be a selling point.
Latest Forum Posts