Non-motoring > Washer dryer advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 8

Washer dryer advice - legacylad
My elderly mothers washing machine, 15 yo, went kaput this morning. Frantic phone call, kitchen flooded, neighbours round to help clean up and no signs of life in the machine according to neighbour who is pretty good with these things. I’m driving there soon to check out the situation.
I’m planning a ‘future proof’ new Kitchen for her this Spring, and because of tiles over tiles on the kitchen floor I had to take off the top of her old washer to make it fit under the current worktops, and she is talking about buying a small compact to fit under said worktops as an interim measure.
She currently uses an old top loading circular dryer in her tiny downstairs WC, but its a pain carrying wet washing through the house and I suggested a washer dryer when the new kitchen is installed, and new flooring laid. I’m minded to cut off the worktop over the washer so that a new one fits ok, but any feedback on reliability? Cost not important. I’ve recommended she buy a decent one....she won’t be told the cost and my late Aunt will pay for it from monies left over to myself.
Or should I look for a second hand compact washer on EBay?
 Washer dryer advice - Dave_
Washer dryers are (in my experience) no more or less reliable than solo washing machines. The compromise of not being able to simultaneously wash one load and dry another isn't going to be an issue for someone who lives alone, so its best to go for one with clear, simple controls and leave it at that.

The top rated Which? Best Buy (only tested this month as well) is the AEG L7WEG851R at £549 from John Lewis, rated at 73%. The only two Best Buy Miele machines are £1900 and £1500...

If you're going down the second hand route, make certain you fit the transit bolts before moving the machine. Once they've been transported without the bolts in, the drum bearings are never the same.
 Washer dryer advice - Bromptonaut
My experience of a washer/dryer is all but 30yrs ago and things might have moved on. Our experience then was that the drying was nothing like as efficient as a dedicated tumble dryer. This particular machine, a Zannusi, was prone to clogging up as it didn't seem able to collect/eliminate fluff in same way as a pure dryer. Drying load was a lot less than washing load so 'load and forget' was not an option.

My late Mother had a more recent one - Hoover or Hotpoint - which seemed to satisfy her needs. My son has 'bagsied' it as he needs drying facility in a small flat. Just need to get out of Mum's flat, into the Berlingo and out at the other end. May need to source transit bolts separately as Mother is bound to have thrown them away.
 Washer dryer advice - Stuartli
>>This particular machine, a Zannusi>>

We acquired a Zannusi washer dryer in 1990 (cost £600 as part of a kitchen refurbishment package) which did us proud (apart from one issue covered under warranty) until 2003, when the bearings packed up. Cost of repairs not really warranted in view of its age.

So we bought a Miele W864 Novotronic washing machine (£500) which is still going strong - and without any hiccups - after nearly 15 years! Original warranty was for 10 years....

You get what you pay for, but I've no doubt that more modern designs may well prove even more superior performance wise in the case of washer dryers.
 Washer dryer advice - R.P.
We had a washer dryer in the old place. It came with the house and was effectively new - I.e. House built in 2008 and not occupied in 2011. It was a Howden's non branded item - I hated it and when it finally broke down two years ago it was flung out and replaced with a Bosch Washer - Since moving here it's been paired with a Bosch dryer - which better suits our needs than a combined unit. Don't buy a cheap brand would be the only tip.
 Washer dryer advice - rtj70
We had a washer dryer - I'd say it was rubbish compared to an actual dryer. Drum too small on a washing machine for starters.

We currently have a washer and dryer. I second going for a brand such as from the Bosch group (not as well made as they used to be).
 Washer dryer advice - devonite
We have one of these - seems very good can't fault it yet! (9kg model)

ao.com/product/bwd596ph3-candy-bianca-washer-dryer-white-51867-2.aspx
 Washer dryer advice - Hard Cheese
>> Don't buy a cheap brand would be the only tip.
>>

We bought an Ariston washer dryer in around 1994 and replaced it with an Indesit washer dryer in around 2002 (I recall as we moved that year) which itself was replaced with another Indesit washer dryer in around 2008 which itself was replaced by an Indesit washing machine (because we weren't using the dryer often) in 2014. We occasionally miss the drying function.

Total outlay over 23/24 years - less than £1000.
 Washer dryer advice - legacylad
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been round my old mums today, borrowed a dehumidifier after the mini flood, and considered again the kitchen remodel which will entail taking out a non supporting wall and creating a kitchen/ dining room next Spring.
Creating a new worktop area where the dividing wall was allows the opportunity to locate separate washer and dryer underneath, so that’s the route I/we are going down.
I’ll be buying top end machines. Simple basic models which are easy to operate....install the washer soonest then relocate it a few feet away when the kitchen is remodelled.
Latest Forum Posts