Non-motoring > Malta Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 20

Malta - CGNorwich
Anybody been there? Though I might book a week there at the end of January. Not expecting high temperatures or lots of sun although I expect it will be warmer than here. Just fancy a bit of a change and I like historical places.
 Malta - bathtub tom
Certainly lots of history, but SWMBO described parts of it as 'looking like Beirut on a bad day'.

Bus timetables are more a hope than an expectation.
If you have a car expect to be 'charged' for parking in public car parks by nefarious types.
Mdina (the silent city) is well worth a visit, as is the island of Gozo.
I was warned the natives drive on the shady side of the road and was therefore expecting it.
I found the locals to be friendly to the British and had quite a long chat with one that survived the onslaught during WW2. I was surprised they didn't surrender as they seem more Italian than British, but he was steadfastly loyal (despite Dom Mintoff).
 Malta - Roger.
Yeah - I was born there. Last visited in 1956. Awful place.
 Malta - CGNorwich
I’ll tale that as a recommendation then.
 Malta - sooty123
>> Yeah - I was born there. Last visited in 1956. Awful place.
>>

So fairly recent upto date experience then?
 Malta - R.P.
Go to Gozo. Sort of different to the main island - stayed here

tacenc.com/

Different and rather nice.

Walked around the island in stages.
 Malta - smokie
I was there 8 or so winters ago. Much of it was a bit of a tip.

As far as driving goes, we'd hired a car and I don't recall any exciting driving moments except being behind a cement mixer with double wheels at the back, and one of the outer wheels coming loose and eventually falling off and rolling down a side road.

We said we wouldn't rush back there but it was cheap enough that I may well find myself there again some time in the future.
 Malta - Stuartli
Went to Malta some years ago and we enjoyed it.

The bus fares are so cheap it's ridiculous, but the vehicles themselves are remarkable despite most of them being very ancient.

You have to watch out for some shopkeepers/market stall holders trying to fiddle you - for some reason they don't seem to appreciate that the UK also has a decimal currency....:-)

Food ad drink good and reasonably priced. But be careful about property left in hotel bedrooms during a stay - a bottle of duty free vodka "mysteriously" disappeared and only discovered after we got home.
 Malta - CGNorwich
The oold buses and cheap fares disappeared years ago. Single fare is now EUR2
 Malta - legacylad
I went there 20 odd years ago for a weeks holiday. As above, some interesting places to visit, then returned a few years later for a Maltese wedding.
I won’t be returning. Seen it, done it.
 Malta - R.P.
Back in 2001 I found myself sitting on a bus that used to take me to school in the UK. Most odd
 Malta - tyrednemotional
>> Back in 2001 I found myself sitting on a bus that used to take me
>> to school in the UK. Most odd
>>

....long journey to school, that........

;-)
 Malta - R.P.
:-)...
 Malta - Fullchat
Its a Marmite place.

Been to Malta twice for the diving and Gozo once. Loved Gozo and the transport links are just fine.

I don't mind Marmite :)
 Malta - R.P.
I love Gozo in particular. The highlight of the last trip (in 2001) was a flight in a civilianized MiL 19 helicopter. We flew the return to Gozo from the Airport - on the return trip we were the only ones on the flight and were treated to a spectacular flight down the coast of the main island.
 Malta - movilogo
Visited there few years back. It looked bit different from western Europe but overall it was an enjoyable trip. It was a very small place. The public transport was good. Been to Gozo as well.

It is a good break for few days. Wear good shoes.
 Malta - martin aston
We had a holiday there.............thirty years ago. It is a bleak rocky place so not very scenic. Having said that there are a lot of interesting buildings and a couple of prehistoric sites. Valetta is fascinating.

The people were amazingly friendly. Two examples stick in the mind. We asked an old lady for directions to the bus stop and she insisted on walking us to it: as we were queueing in a restaurant a couple of local men invited us to join them at their table. It may have changed since then but I doubt the basic good nature has changed much. Mind you they can be a bit niggly with one another, we were there during a election and there was general surprise that only one person had been shot dead by their opponents.

Finally there is some sort of tourism/cultural push this year which might make it a good time to visit.
Last edited by: martin aston on Sun 31 Dec 17 at 20:24
 Malta - CGNorwich
Valletta is European City of Culture 2018.

Decided will go although yet to book. Think I will stay in Valletta if for no other reason than that my father was posted there in 1943,
 Malta - rtj70
Never been but judging by the students from there I met at university, they are a nice lot of people. Very friendly.
 Malta - R.P.
Overall my experiences in Malta were pretty good. I was lucky enough to be in Valetta when HMS Ocean sailed into Grand Harbour in 2001 - very atmospheric.
 Malta - MD
Been there several times over the years. Had a few sherberts in the bar where Oliver Reed died. Ruddy miserable landlord though. Just my type :-)
Latest Forum Posts