Non-motoring > John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy Green Issues
Thread Author: MrTee43 Replies: 24

John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - MrTee43
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11049538

First the country and now the Labour party.
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - tyro
"The treasurer has got to say to the central body, you cannot keep on spending, we haven't got it."

This man has unusual understanding of life for a politician. Maybe we should have more of his type in government.

;-)
Last edited by: tyro on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 22:03
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Bellboy
cant they eat cake
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Number_Cruncher
>> cant they eat cake

^^ Brilliant!

This near bankruptcy of the Labour Party is nearly the best news I've heard all year.

John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Armel Coussine
Why the hell anyone gives a tuppenny damn either way is completely beyond me.

Parties are rubbish. When they get into office they screw up. So would you, because it's the nature of the game: reality moves on sort of sideways and leaves you behind. Whoever you are.

Enormous, prolonged, ill-mannered yawn aimed particularly at those who love or hate Box and Cox, our cosy little halves of the perfect one-party system.

Another enormous yawn.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 23:33
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Bellboy
we dont give a two penny jam dodger but we english do love a good gloat AC :-)
>> we english do love a good gloat

Alas, you are right bb I'm afraid.

We aren't always too scrupulous about what we gloat about though. Sometimes makes some of us look a bit carp, knowImean?
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Number_Cruncher
>>We aren't always too scrupulous about what we gloat about though.

Thankfully, this isn't anywhere near being such a case.

John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Zero
>> We aren't always too scrupulous about what we gloat about though. Sometimes makes some of
>> us look a bit carp, knowImean?

Rubbish, its possible to gloat about anything. Its all about how you do it, but everything is fair game.
>> its possible to gloat about anything. Its all about how you do it, but everything is fair game.

I don't disagree with that Zero. 'It's all about how you do it', though. Some people let their meanness, or their prejudices, show. On reflection however I don't think NC was really doing that too badly. The last government was fairly awful in a lot of different ways.

However it's a waste of breath gloating over the alleged impending bankruptcy of a big political party. Chancers with large disposable funds will ride to the rescue for services perhaps to be rendered in the sun-drenched future.
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Tooslow
Well it just confirms what we already knew about their grasp of economics. Just put Gordon in charge, he'll sort it ;-)

And in true Labour fashion their solution is to bring everyone else down to their level and limit spending. Actually, that's sensible. Good grief!

JH
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Roger.
They spent all their funds on buying meat pies for "Two Jags"
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - MrTee43
That's Lord Two Jags now !
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Ian (Cape Town)
Financial bankruptcy, obviously.
they were morally bankrupt many years ago.
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Perky Penguin
Labour Party faces bankruptcy - how tragic. The country actually is bankrupt and it is thanks to them.
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Cliff Pope
It would appear from the sentiments expressed in this forum that motorists are not labour voters.
Is that true generally?
How did Tony Blair achieve such a massive majority a few years back?
Who's sorry now?
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Perky Penguin
Cliff, my recollection is that, although Labour got a majority of seats in the Commons they did not get such a big majority of the numerical votes. Partly contributed to by tinkering with constituency boundaries too, allegedly!
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Stuu
With voter turn outs so low, elections are only a reflection of those views of voters, not the population. It could be that the many thousands who dont vote may have had the power to change the course of elections, but didnt.

Labour bankrupt. I just cant seem to care.
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - swiss tony
>> Cliff, my recollection is that, although Labour got a majority of seats in the Commons
>> they did not get such a big majority of the numerical votes. Partly contributed to
>> by tinkering with constituency boundaries too, allegedly!
>>
And of course the Tories never done anything like that, did they?
Can someone explain to me why the boundary commission hasn't sorted all of this out?

Apparently Labour can only get in because the constituencies in which they regularly win are smaller, or something like that. So why all the fuss about regularising it, which seems proper to me, why hasn't it just happened?

JH
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Zero
Gerrymandering or boundry changes are the oldest and most widely (globally) performed electorial fraud. No country or party is immune from it.
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Cliff Pope
So is it true that motorists don't vote labour?
Or did some of you do so and later regretted it? Anyone feel up to apologising?
 John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Iffy
...Gerrymandering or boundary changes are the oldest and most widely (globally) performed electoral fraud...

Easy accusation to make, harder one to prove.

The idea is to have roughly the same number of voters in each constituency.

A change may be made if there is a shift in population, such as the building of a large housing estate on previously unoccupied land.

Much of the housing in this country is mixed, so if you shove a few dozen hectares of one constituency into another, the chances are the voters you 'move' will also be mixed.

Then the great unwashed might not vote how you think they will, or change their minds as the campaign progresses.

There are just too many variables to make gerrymandering achievable.

John Prescott warns Labour Party faces bankruptcy - Bromptonaut
>> Can someone explain to me why the boundary commission hasn't sorted all of this out?

Because it operates with numerous other requirements/constraints as well as even sized constuencies such as keeping constiuency boundaries consistent with those for local governmnet. They might also reasonably follow physical boundaries.

Communities should also be respected. The Western Isles make a very small consituency. For a long time the Isle of Wight made the biggest - around five times the size. Although the present government are committed to reform Eilean Siar will remain a single constuency. There is no logical way of combining the islands (or dividing them) to make a constiency of 80,000.
B
"keeping constiuency boundaries consistent with those for local government" I wondered about that. Our constituency boundary changed at the last election. As there was a "this is how the last election would have turned out if the boundaries had been... I guessed that some existing electoral boundary must have been used as the new "line" and, as some sort of electoral result was available for that area an estimate could be made.

(probably using arithmetic and statistics and probabliity and maybe even some sort of confidence level ;-) )

Thanks for that info.

JH
Latest Forum Posts