Non-motoring > Seven brussel sprouts are too many Miscellaneous
Thread Author: madf Replies: 34

Seven brussel sprouts are too many - madf
says Leceistershire County Council.

"In an apparent bid to cut down on food waste over the festive season, Leicestershire County Council is advising people exactly how much they should be eating on December 25.

Council chiefs are seemingly particularly keen to get the word out about Brussels sprouts, posting on Twitter to advise that the number we should be scoffing with our turkey and trimmings should be capped at six."

and lots more.

news.sky.com/story/christmas-dinner-sprout-limit-called-for-by-leicestershire-county-council-11177157

I suggest they should be told to get turkeyed..sorry stuffed..
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Bromptonaut
So the Council tweet:

"Six sprouts = ONE portion. Don't overbuy and they won't go to waste,"

As the Council has at least some responsibility for disposing of waste they've even got an interest.

What's the problem? (apart from it being slow news time).

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 19 Dec 17 at 14:04
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Roger.
That council has no right whatsoever to be taking such an intrusive and nannying role in citizen's lives.
Sociaistic Statism at it's most insidious: cliches such as "thin edge of the wedge" and "here comes 1984" spring to mind.
Butt out of people's lives, Big Government.
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 19 Dec 17 at 14:16
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - bathtub tom
One sprout is too many when someone gives it to your flatulent Springer as a joke!
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Cliff Pope
If people in Leicestershire do not feel competent to judge for themselves how many Brussels sprouts they want on their plates, then they are very lucky to have such a caring council to take on that responsibility for them.

We are talking about semi-senile residents of old peoples' homes here, aren't we, not the general population?
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - zippy
Leicester has a population of 549,000.

If each of them threw away one Brussels Sprout then the pile of waste would be huge:

Assuming each sprout weighed 20g. 20g x 549,000 = 10,980,000g, or 10,989kg or nearly 11 tonnes of waste all of which has to be put in landfill - that is carried on trucks, taken to landfill, processed etc.

So its good advice really and something we should all think about reducing waste!
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Stuartli
>>So its good advice really and something we should all think about reducing waste! >>

Still absolutely none of some council jobsworth's business in any shape or form.

How many times previously has the council issued such advice in the past?

Not very often I would suggest.
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - zippy
>> Not very often I would suggest.

Perhaps they should rephrase it: "The more you wasteful slobs put in the bin, the more landfill we use and the higher council tax will be!"

Same message, just told differently!
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Dec 17 at 02:09
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - neiltoo
A competant authority would be recycling food waste as compost, and not sending it to landfill

8o)
>> Leicester has a population of 549,000.

The County as a whole, including Leicester City Unitary Authority, is approx 939,000 so perhaps (allowing for non sprout eaters and non celebrants of Xmas) nearer 15tonnes.

It's not an instruction from Big Brother just a tweet. Quite informative actually.

Allowing some extra for the bubble and squeak Mrs B and I will limit ourselves to buying 20.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 19 Dec 17 at 15:40
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Focal Point
"...nearly 11 tonnes of waste all of which has to be put in landfill..."

Unless Leicester has a very odd recycling system brussels sprouts absolutely should not go into landfill. They are food waste or garden waste and should be composted/digested or disposed of by whatever process is used in the area.

Even better (which is what would happen in this household - IF there was any such waste) is to put them in the garden compost bin. No transport costs, no energy consumption and free valuable compost after a few months.
>> Even better (which is what would happen in this household - IF there was any
>> such waste) is to put them in the garden compost bin. N

I agree though I never put cooked stuff in the compost.

My sister is in Leicestershire and I'm pretty sure she has a food waste caddy as we do in Northants. But there's a cost in transporting 15tonnes of waste sprouts to the digester.
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - CGNorwich
It's Brussels sprouts and one is too many.
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Pat
Put vinegar on them and they are delicious.

Leicestershire tradition!

Pat
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - No FM2R
Why are brussel sprouts and other foodstuff a problem in landfill? Wouldn't they be better going after the stunning amount of plastic waste over the holiday period?

So much of the "green" efforts are put into stopping us burying stuff which doesn't really matter if it is buried, and ignores the stuff which really should be addressed.
>> Why are brussel sprouts and other foodstuff a problem in landfill?

Organic matter decomposes and produces methane and other waste products. Sixfields Stadium and adjacent retail in Northampton is on reclaimed landfill. There are vents at regular intervals to manage methane that's still surfacing 20 yrs after stuff was built.

At one time they were flaming it off.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 19 Dec 17 at 15:56
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Crankcase

>> So much of the "green" efforts are put into stopping us burying stuff which doesn't
>> really matter if it is buried, and ignores the stuff which really should be addressed.

That would be pushing the envelope.
Sefton MBC's household collection services include small bins specifically for waste food.
>> Sefton MBC's household collection services include small bins specifically for waste food.

That's what we have. A small caddy in the kitchen, lined with a compostable bag. Bag moved as required to bigger caddy that's collected weekly.

Food waste goes to a digester and produces methane and fertiliser. Volume of landfill waste is substantially reduced and can be collected fortnightly without risk of breeding squadrons of bluebottles.

First council I saw do this was Western Isles c 2008.
>> nearly 11
>> tonnes of waste all of which has to be put in landfill - that is
>> carried on trucks, taken to landfill, processed etc.
>>

Compostable waste doesn't go to landfill.
Talking of waste separation, here in South Cambs we've just had a change. For years and years we have had a separate bin for plastics and paper and glass packaging, with another separate internal caddy thing for newspapers. A lorry takes these two, but has two compartments, so they don't have to sort newspaper from everything else "at the other end".

Now, they tell us, they need to replace the fleet of lorries. It will cost them £600,000 more to buy lorries with two compartments rather than one, they say. So now the internal caddy is history, and as of last week we just throw the newspapers in with everything else.

Now then. I don't know about you lot, but when I stick food packaging or plastic bottles of pop or empty jam jars in the bin I might give them quick run under the tap but it's not pristine, nor is it always dried out. So the newspapers now go in with damp and/or dirty stuff. Sounds pretty yucky to me for whoever has to now separate it.

I imagine some people might religiously clean every item that they recycle? I tend to think that we're always told not to waste water, so are some sticky crumbs better washed off or not, in world terms?

>>For years and years we have had a separate bin for plastics and paper and glass packaging, with another separate internal caddy thing for newspapers..>>

Been the case here with the brown bin (collected fortnightly) for some time now. Plastics, cardboard and newspapers/paper all lumped together....:-(
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - R.P.
Council Chiefs or Chefs ?

Who cares what a Council thinks ! Bring it on !
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Haywain
Leicestershire C C does not have the monopoly on enviro-twerp stupidity.

A couple of years ago, the hinge-pin on the lid of our black-bin was lost during emptying by the bin-men. I contacted the council and offered to cycle over to the council depot to pick up a replacement pin (value 10p?) and fit it myself. The council [motto: Repair, Re-use, Re-cycle] told me not to worry, they would deal with it if I left the bin at the front of the house.

Wife and I were out when they called, but daughter informed us that a small lorry had drawn up, two chaps jumped out and set about the bin with sledge hammers; they threw the bits onto the back of the lorry, left me a new bin, and cleared off.

And their motto again ........???
>>
>>
>> And their motto again ........???
>>

Neglect, Remove, Destroy, Tax
I have no problems with organisations practising what they preach.

(The British Beekeeping Association has a policy of opposing bee imports. Its monthly magazine states so. Along with adverts from people selling imported bees).
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - devonite
I had two hives of "Buckfast" Bees years ago! - British-bred by Monks, and like them they worked hard! - Due to illness I lost one hive to Swarming, and another to Wasps! I've often thought of re-starting, but never got around to it! ;-(
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - MD
I’m lost here. What is waste food?
>> I’m lost here. What is waste food?
>>

Anything pigs would not eat.
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Focal Point
"I'm lost here. What is waste food?"

While we're asking hard questions, is "waste food" different from "food waste"?
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - bathtub tom
>>While we're asking hard questions, is "waste food" different from "food waste"?

Waste food is food that hasn't been eaten.
Food waste has been eaten ;>)
Food waste: stuff someone somewhere composts.

Waste food: disgusting stuff left on your plate that your mum tells you would feed starving African children for a week. Answering "send it to them then" results in a clip round the ear and withdrawal of the right to see The Two Ronnies, in my experience.
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - TheManWithNoName
I bet the council could find many ways of reducing its own waste first before resorting to telling us how to live our lives.

Tell 'em to get Paxo'd.
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Mapmaker
Seems very sensible to me. Every ounce that isn't wasted is an ounce that doesn't have to go to landfill. Or at least... from your front door to the council landfill. Because of course every sprout that isn't eaten has to be disposed of by Tescos.

I hate, with a vengeance, food waste. Indeed waste of all forms.
 Seven brussel sprouts are too many - Dog
>>I hate, with a vengeance, food waste. Indeed waste of all forms.

Howls about dog waste. My two LARGE dogs 'go' mostly on my own land, gets picked up ASAP and deposited in an old pedal bin which I keep next to dusty bin and eventually gets put out with the weekly rubbish (well bagged & sealed).

I'm fortunate to live in a remote isolated virtually uninhabited area so when we go walkies I never have to pick up their doings.

Dogs doings is a BIG, BIG problem in this country - especially in towns and cities.
Latest Forum Posts