Non-motoring > Aliexpress and prepaid Visa Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 16

Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - Crankcase
I've never bought from Aliexpress or similar. I've found something I'd quite like there (link below if you care). It's cheap, and would just be a bit of fun. So no great shakes it it doesn't turn up, or whatever.

Paying for it though. I feel reluctant to just throw my debit card details at a Chinese website. Justified?

If so, I thought about a prepaid Visa card, which as I understand it exposes you only to the amount on the card. However, a Google has left me floundering, as there are a gazillion, and all have different hings like setup fees, transaction fees, ongoing fees, renewal fees...

Anyone got one of these and can recommend a particular one perhaps?

The thing I'm looking at is a Long Winter Nights bit of faffing about. I've also discovered you can actually download it for free, but it would cost me more to print it out in colour than buying it pre-printed from China, I reckon.

Aliexpress product page:

tinyurl.com/ybbeo5sa

Free downloadable of the same thing, but nearly 50 pages to print, half in colour. And I don't possess a printer anyway.

cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/CNT-0018258/index.html

Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - sherlock47
I use a Halifax Cash Card aka 'Easycash' that i top up with the odd £150 every now and again.

I use it for most PayPal transactions and anything that I feel expose me to greater risk than a reputable UK retailer with electronic payment capability.

My debit card very rarely goes to anybody - although I am not happy at paying Mr O'Leary an additional premium charge for cattle class transport.

Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - legacylad
Slight thread drift..
One of my ex’s was in Cologne today. A one week holiday on a fancy boat from Amsterdam. She’s even got her own butler onboard!
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - CGNorwich
Buy from someone you trust,
The logical thing is yes, buy it locally and pay whatever premium. However, I can't find anyone else selling that particular thing, locally or not.

Maybe I'll just have to look for something else. Halifax Easy Cash is no longer available.
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - tyrednemotional
www.amazon.co.uk/Aue-Verlag-Cologne-Cathedral-Model-Kit/dp/3870296550

(2 left as I post).
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - legacylad
Do you want me to phone my ex and try and get one like that whilst she’s in the area? She likes a challenge. ( me. Previously)
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - tyrednemotional
or:

tinyurl.com/paperdom

(delivery a bit steep though! - you could send the real thing for not much more ;-) )

Very kind, guys, but that's not quite the same one.
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - Robin O'Reliant
I've no experience myself so this is not a recommendation, but a few people on cycling forums have bought stuff from Aliexpress (Frames are very cheap) and I haven't heard any complaints.
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - riddler
I have a Prime Mastercard for such purchases. Bought for £5 and can be topped up in the Post Office or at any PayPoint shop. 80p transaction fee is charged for each payment. Ideal as you would only lose whatever the balance is.
Thanks, riddler. That looks promising.
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - Robin O'Reliant
The reviews for Aliexpress look promising -

uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.aliexpress.com
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - sooty123
A couple of family members use aliexpress quite a bit. I've had a look and tbh honest a lot looks like tat, you could debate the quality of it all however they've never had an issue money wise or any issues with fraud.
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - Zero
Paypal linked to a credit card. Two levers of recompense available there. Note I don't say 'protection" - thats a bird thats flown its cage these days. You just need to be sure you get your money back if and when you get fleeced, scammed or cloned.
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - Roger.
I had no probs with my recent (and first) purchase from another Chinese on-line store, Gearbest, using Paypal.
 Aliexpress and prepaid Visa - CGNorwich
I’d say those shoes are a terrible warning to stay clear of such sites:-)
Latest Forum Posts