Non-motoring > Soundbase to TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 4

Soundbase to TV - Robin O'Reliant
So I've got a soundbase connected to the TV via twin phono plugs to headphone jack on the TV, as the set does not have the corresponding two phono audio out sockets. It's Ok, but it can be a little flakey from time to time as I don't think the headphone socket gives a great connection. The soundbase also has an optical input. Now the TV does not have that, but it does have a SPDIF socket.

Can that be connected to the optical socket on the soundbase and what do I need in between to do that?

Hope the above makes sense.
 Soundbase to TV - tyrednemotional
...the answer depends on the nature of the S/PDIF socket on the TV, and the socketry on the soundbar.

S/PDIF is essentially a protocol, and can be transmitted over coax cable electrically (with a cable terminated at either end with an RCA (phono) plug) or over optical cable with an optical plug terminator of several types.

If the TV output is 'electrical', then you will need a converter box unless your soundbar also has a digital coax socket (in which case you can simply go coax to coax).

If it is optical, then you may be able to get an optical cable with the appropriate end-terminators. (That on the soundbar, if not specifically labelled S/PDIF is likely to be a TOSLINK plug, and that on the TV may be the same, or a mini digital optical plug. It is possible to buy optical cables with differing plugs ate either end, typically a couple of quid from ebay. My understanding (but I haven't tried it, is that optical to optical will work with differing plugs at either end of the cable).

An alternative that I have used to an amp without a digital input is a cheap DAC (ebay, around £10) with both coax and optical digital inputs, and analogue stereo phono outputs (which would be likely to be much better than a headphone output.

Which TV is it?
>> If the TV output is 'electrical', then you will need a converter box unless your
>> soundbar also has a digital coax socket (in which case you can simply go coax
>> to coax).

Just checked the soundbase and it does indeed have a digital coax socket which I hadn't noticed before. Many thanks tyred, one duly ordered from fleabay.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Dec 17 at 12:38
 Soundbase to TV - tyrednemotional
...my understanding is that the coax (phono to phono) S/Pdif cable should be of a specific impedance to give optimal results, and thus specific leads are sold.

It is often documented, however, that passable results can be achieved with non-specific phono to phono leads, and in particular the "yellow" connections of A/V leads (which are designed to take the video signal).

If you have any old phono to phono lead around, I suspect you could run a test. ;-)
Massive improvement in sound quality with the coax.
Latest Forum Posts