Non-motoring > One of the rockers - trying to find a song Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 43

One of the rockers - trying to find a song - RattleandSmoke
I would say its quite old at least 80's maybe 70's. The guitar rift goes something like "de de de" and it has (I think the words) "the radio in it".

They always play it at the rock club I go to and its a dance floor filler so it must be quite popular. It sounds very much like Kiss, Rush (not spirit the radio), the Motley Crew etc.

I just can't seem to find it on Spotify. Any ideas? Even some ideas for bands might help as I can trace it through spotify.

I am more of a punk than a rocker but getting more more into the classic rock stuff.

Trying to create a playlist for when we go camping tomorrow.
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - corax
I've heard you can get mobile phones loaded up with gracenote. Apparently you can hold the mic up to a speaker playing a song, it recognizes it from the massive gracenote database and displays the name. At least, thats how I understand it from reading about it. If so, thats what you need, next time your shaking your thang/getting down and dirty at the club :-)
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - FotheringtonTomas
"They always play it at the rock club" - then ask them what it is (although I bet you can't, for some reason).

I don't think "a playlist" and "camping" fit well. Never mind.
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - rtj70
There are numbers you can call from any old mobile that tell you what music is playing. I am surprised Rattle hasn't just asked the DJ at the club... the DJ might have the key to his Panda too.
I know the DJ quite well, he is on my Facebook (who added me) as I am a bit too well known in the Manchester rock scene which is why I am a bit emberassed about this.

I can do download an app to do it, but it charges, when drunk I cam imagine drumming up £30 bills! Maybe I need a cheap old Sony Erricson walkman phone!
Don't get an app then. Record it on the phone and then do something with it later.
That solution is far too simple! Thanks :). I shall do that. I am now worried that I never thought about it.
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Stuartli
>>I am now worried that I never thought about it. >>

It was the first thought that came into my head and going to post, until I saw I'd been beaten to it.

There's also Shazam, which involves keying in 2580 (down the centre of the mobile phone pad) and holding it towards the music.

www.shazam.com/

Stuartli, shazam is the one I'd have mentioned if I could remember what it was called.
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Armel Coussine
I like that old time rock and roll
The kind of music that soothes my soul
I recollect those days of old
With that old time rock and roll...

De de de eh Sheikha? Are you sure you don't mean whang whang whang?

Just checking. I know how it is with those numbers they always play between live sets in those noisy places. You get to know every note without knowing who it's by or what it's called. You forget all about it until you hear the first riff, then you know exactly what's coming all the way through until the next, less memorable number starts.

Roll on the next live set from the Crazed Scouse Doxies, what?
Meant to say he added me :). Although I go every week (nearly) and some how seem to promote the place on facebook.

It is one of those songs though, I have a feeling he played an original slower version in the style of Jeff Beck if that helps?
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Pat
>>I like that old time rock and roll
With that old time rock and roll... <<

As soon as I read those words, I was double manning a lorry across Pamplona mountain on a balmy summers evening on the way to Valencia.. Both of us singing as loudly as we could and enjoying the freedom but sadly the other driver is no longer with us.
Happy days.

Pat

It's not Radioactive by Kiss, is it?

Pat
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Dog
I like that old time rock and roll
With that old time rock and roll

And the geezer with the pelvis singing King Creole :}
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Dave_
>> record it on the phone and do something with it later

My phone doesn't even have a sound recorder on it, so my drunk-proof method is to video record the song - without caring where I'm pointing the camera as I'm only interested in the sound - then later on play it back and try and work out a line or two of the lyrics. Once I've got 8 or 10 recognisable words I just Google them in quotes - e.g. Googling "west coast represent now put your hands up" comes back with 50,000 results for California Gurls by Katy Perry.

Not really your genre Rats, but you get the idea ;-)
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 13:36
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Jim M
Could it be Radar Love?....one hit wonder by Golden Earring
Jim
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Iffy
...one hit wonder by Golden Earring...

Radar Love still sounds good today.

According to Wiki, Golden Earring had 40 hit singles and 30 gold and platinum albums in their home country of Holland - I thought they were German, perhaps I was thinking of Kraftwerk.

'Bahn 'bahn on the autobahn.
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Jim M
Wow, I never knew they were so big, I saw them live at Durham Uni 73, small venue lots of sound. Ah yes Euro rock Yellow "The Race" forgot about Kraftwerk....looks like another visit to itunes when I get home.
jim
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Ian (Cape Town)
Earring had a few brilliant songs. Twilight Zone was particularly good.
Anyone into the genre should try to get 1977 Live LP.

Candy's Going Bad, She Flies on Strange Wings, Mad Love's Coming, She Flies on Strange Wings, Fighting Windmills.
All good stuff. In fact, I may have to go and speak to the local merchant, buy some rizlas and keep the neighbours awake til 3am...
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Zero
>> 'Bahn 'bahn on the autobahn.

God that was awful! I am ashamed to say I have the album somewhere, no idea why.
Play it loud, Zero, and think of the era it came out of...
Revolutionary, I tell you!
Its then just loud awfulness.

Look - Supertramp's crme of the century album came out at more or less the same time. One is music the other - isnt.
Horses and courses!
By the way, I heard some silly bint squealing Breakfast in America the other day.
Is NOTHING sacred?
If he tries to do Rudy, shoot him.
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Dave_
Re: Golden Earring - Radar Love, and the ensuing love-in:

Is one of you Jeremy Clarkson in disguise? ;-)
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 20:56
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - ....
>> Could it be Radar Love?....
>>
First time I heard this was by White Lion. Not so much a cover version as a straight copy.
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - VxFan
>> I am surprised Rattle hasn't just asked the DJ at the club

He probably doesn't do requests.
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - L'escargot
"the radio in it" or "the radio innit"?
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - spamcan61
This is going to be a bit of a challenge as, in IMHO anyway, Kiss ( glam pop metal ), Rush (souless techno rock) and Motley Crue ( poodle perm LA metal) don't sound anything like each other anyway! :-)

EDIT : OK maybe Kiss and Motley Crue aren't far apart at times.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 18:15
Rush were always on another planet to me and hearing them now, I'm glad they stayed there.

Pat
I hummed the rift to a mate and he instantly told me it was Whiskey in Jar, in it all came back to me, but the version I have heared was the Pogues. I have not chased band yet as there seems to be a million versions. The closest seems to be Thin Lizzy but the version the club plays is song more in a power balad style.
The version I know is Metalicas and of course I heared the lyrics completly wrong! Daddy-oh but in cheap club sound systems were everything is forced and its all about loudless its quite easy to do.
Rattle,

A man of your musical education should be aware of Whiskey in the Jar as a traditional Irish folk song - certainly the tune, if not the lyrics, which I believe Phil Lynott tinkered with.
everyone tinkered with the lyrics, none of them are the same.
...everyone tinkered with the lyrics...

I bet the Grateful Dead's lyrics were long, self-indulgent and boring, to fit in with the rest of their stuff.
Four well known versions

Pogues & the Dubliners

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5WgYoRCs2U

Thin Lizzy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrguJziuq9s

Metalica

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIh3nO6-V_A&feature=related

Grateful Dead

www.youtube.com/watch?v=amLungGziP0

>> I hummed the rift to a mate and he instantly told me it was Whiskey
>> in Jar.
>>
Thank God ! for that. No way was anybody getting Whiskey in the Jar from "de de de". Jaymz Hetfield does have a certain way with lyrics.
 One of the rockers - trying to find a song - Perky Penguin
If you dial 2580 on a mobile and hold it near to a fairly loud music source for 15+ seconds you will get a text back giving you the title for 50p. No charge if they don't find it.
That's given me an idea PP. I'm going to register 0870 breathe4me. It's going to be a continuous loop of breathe in...breath out...
£5 per minute.
I am not even going to be tempted to use such services. If I know the number when I am drunk I am likely to use it. Suddenly a £40 night out turns into a £45 one.

I will be doing Rob's simple idea of recording the song though!.

One of the rockers - trying to find a song - devonite
Could be Smokie`s version of "Whiskey in the Jar" they were also very popular in the 70`s and 80`s ! - in fact thier version of "have you ever seen the rain" (which i co-incidently have just heard on the radio, first time for years!) is the "best" version ever! (imo ;-) )
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 09:51
Not as good as the CCR version
An underated and much forgotten group, with some crackers under their belts,

Proud mary, down on the corner, bad moon rising, etc
Ah! - yes, the John Fogerty version! I`d forgotten about that one! - off to Utube now too compare!
Nah! - too strident for me! ;-) however.... you are right about thier other tunes! and only they could do "Bad moon rising" an all time great.
Latest Forum Posts